General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Does it matter if the MAF is before or after a blower

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 08:53 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

regardless if it's a turbo or SC? I know in the Stillen kit the MAF after the blower measuring warmer/compressed air entering the TB. In "most" OEM turbo/SC application the MAF on the suction side of the blower measuring cooler/non compressed air. I realize engine bay space was at a premium when Stillen was designing the SC for the Max, but if the space was there wouldn't it be better to have the MAF before the blower? What are the pros/cons on having the MAF before or after a blower? Too bad we dont have one of those fuel air density thingy (I remember the exact term) like those Honda/Acura, no restriction from a MAF.
Old 08-17-2001, 11:53 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

The MAF should be after the BOV, like the 4th gens. If it's before the blower, you'll get stalling problems like the 5 speed 5th gens.

Since the MAF knows the amount of air sensed, it'll use the appropriate amount of fuel. When you let off the accelerator, the TB plate closes and your BOV opens up. The releases the air and causes you to run rich.
Old 08-18-2001, 02:07 AM

It depends.....

The correct way to do it is by putting the MAF before the turbo or supercharger. However you would need to get the ECU reprogrammed to do this, and it keeps the MAF from experiencing compressor surge or stalling after the throttle is closed. But a cheaper way is to run it after the turbo. One more thing you should really consider running a tectom MDM-100. I believe JWT sells it for $425, but according to the Turbo SE-R guys its worth every penny.

Originally posted by CandiMan
regardless if it's a turbo or SC? I know in the Stillen kit the MAF after the blower measuring warmer/compressed air entering the TB. In "most" OEM turbo/SC application the MAF on the suction side of the blower measuring cooler/non compressed air. I realize engine bay space was at a premium when Stillen was designing the SC for the Max, but if the space was there wouldn't it be better to have the MAF before the blower? What are the pros/cons on having the MAF before or after a blower? Too bad we dont have one of those fuel air density thingy (I remember the exact term) like those Honda/Acura, no restriction from a MAF.