General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

TheNewClimax vs Modded WRX & RussMaxManiac vs modded WRX!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 10:30 AM
RussMaxManiac

I actually did not get to see the run with the WRX and Climax, but I heard about it afterwards. I got lost in Austin . Anyways, here is my story...

We were basically called him out on the Texas Racing scene since he kept saying he beat the SC Max. Well it was a identity confusion we found out. It was Adam that he ran, but Adam did run a guy in the same location that this other guy ran someone a while back. LOL....

Well my story begins at the end of the night we all left. We agreed to send Adam way up to be our scout to make sure we were clear and no POPO. When it was Clear, we lined up, honked to 3 at around 55mph and took off. The WRX got up to one car on me by 90-95, then I started to real him back in by 110 I was almost past him and we had to let off. We did this 3 times same results.

The WRX has a ECU, 3 inch exhaust all the way back, and Intake I believe.

The Max proved itself tonight for a N/A Max. I do know that Adam did pull on him hard in 3rd gear, so it was really not as close as a race as we had. Let him tell you the story shortly.

STOCK WRX from a roll the Max should be able to beat it, a modded one, the Max better have a mod or 2. I have just a intake....

Man what a fun night!

Old 08-19-2001, 11:07 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
I actually did not get to see the run with the WRX and Climax, but I heard about it afterwards. I got lost in Austin . Anyways, here is my story...

We were basically called him out on the Texas Racing scene since he kept saying he beat the SC Max. Well it was a identity confusion we found out. It was Adam that he ran, but Adam did run a guy in the same location that this other guy ran someone a while back. LOL....

Well my story begins at the end of the night we all left. We agreed to send Adam way up to be our scout to make sure we were clear and no POPO. When it was Clear, we lined up, honked to 3 at around 55mph and took off. The WRX got up to one car on me by 90-95, then I started to real him back in by 110 I was almost past him and we had to let off. We did this 3 times same results.

The WRX has a ECU, 3 inch exhaust all the way back, and Intake I believe.

The Max proved itself tonight for a N/A Max. I do know that Adam did pull on him hard in 3rd gear, so it was really not as close as a race as we had. Let him tell you the story shortly.

STOCK WRX from a roll the Max should be able to beat it, a modded one, the Max better have a mod or 2. I have just a intake....

Man what a fun night!

cool
Old 08-19-2001, 11:31 AM

Sounds like a full filling night for both of you guys.

I really dont think the WRX is quite as fast as people believe it to be. 0-60 in 5.8 seconds & 14.7@94mph (Based on Motor Trend).

The max may not be quite as fast on acc but as we get close to top end the max will real it in and say good bye. Im sure Russ can back that up.
Old 08-19-2001, 12:25 PM

hey i still havent seen either of your cars, i will be looking forward to the end of the month, i woud have liked to see the race though
Old 08-19-2001, 12:26 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by RedMax95
hey i still havent seen either of your cars, i will be looking forward to the end of the month, i woud have liked to see the race though
Yep, it was really fun!! :P

Old 08-20-2001, 01:06 AM

And this is on Planet Earth you raced?

Hey, Russ, I'm having trouble believing this story...
A turbocharged 227 hp All Wheel Drive WRX with at least 50 hp in mods vs a 222 hp Front Wheel Drive Maxima with 7 hp in mods and an extra hundred pounds? (There's a little over a one hundred pound difference but it might be slightly more since I don't know if he got all the options on the WRX or not and who knows with Gas, Stereo equipment, etc.) Plus they both have equal torque stock (217) but the WRX is lower on the power band (4000 rpm as opposed to 6400 rpm) so off the line you're not even close. Even at speed I really wouldn't think you stand a chance because with those mods it should smooth out the peakyness of the power and smooth it out better. This really just doesn't compute. Are you sure it was the WRX and not the RS? Are you sure it was a 2001 WRX because 2000 and older aren't turbocharged... Was it an automatic? I really would expect the car to perform a lot faster for having about 275 hp at the crank, low torque peak and all wheel drive. Maybe with somebody else behind the wheel...
Old 08-20-2001, 05:11 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re:

Originally posted by SithMax
And this is on Planet Earth you raced?
Facts don't matter. Maximas are the bomb.
Old 08-20-2001, 05:53 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: And this is on Planet Earth you raced?

Look, on texasracingscene.com we were basically called out by a WRX owner and agreed. A few other Maximas came out including Mike (Austin), Maximus98. Me and Adam (TheNewClimax) were the only 2 that ran him. And I am sorry but it did happen. We all talked before the runs in the parking lot, then looked at the cars after the runs when we got back checking out his modded WRX. Sorry but AWD makes you have ALOT of drivetrain loss, and the guy even knew that. He even said he worked at a Nissan dealer and figured he would lose on the top end because the car just doesn't have it. It's pretty obvious it doesn't.

Let Adam post his story...

Remember the 5th gen has alot better highway power than other Maximas...

Originally posted by SithMax
Hey, Russ, I'm having trouble believing this story...
A turbocharged 227 hp All Wheel Drive WRX with at least 50 hp in mods vs a 222 hp Front Wheel Drive Maxima with 7 hp in mods and an extra hundred pounds? (There's a little over a one hundred pound difference but it might be slightly more since I don't know if he got all the options on the WRX or not and who knows with Gas, Stereo equipment, etc.) Plus they both have equal torque stock (217) but the WRX is lower on the power band (4000 rpm as opposed to 6400 rpm) so off the line you're not even close. Even at speed I really wouldn't think you stand a chance because with those mods it should smooth out the peakyness of the power and smooth it out better. This really just doesn't compute. Are you sure it was the WRX and not the RS? Are you sure it was a 2001 WRX because 2000 and older aren't turbocharged... Was it an automatic? I really would expect the car to perform a lot faster for having about 275 hp at the crank, low torque peak and all wheel drive. Maybe with somebody else behind the wheel...

Old 08-20-2001, 01:08 PM

mmm... Better Highway Power (BHP)...

...I like that.
Old 08-20-2001, 02:42 PM

Re: Re: And this is on Planet Earth you raced?

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Look, on texasracingscene.com we were basically called out by a WRX owner and agreed. A few other Maximas came out including Mike (Austin), Maximus98. Me and Adam (TheNewClimax) were the only 2 that ran him. And I am sorry but it did happen. We all talked before the runs in the parking lot, then looked at the cars after the runs when we got back checking out his modded WRX. Sorry but AWD makes you have ALOT of drivetrain loss, and the guy even knew that. He even said he worked at a Nissan dealer and figured he would lose on the top end because the car just doesn't have it. It's pretty obvious it doesn't.

Let Adam post his story...

I guess I'm just surprised at how sh!tty those things are at speed. That AWD and stock boost just doesn't help it from a high speed rolling start.