General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Apexi WS Installed! (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 07:48 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, last night when I went to Monroe and got the gaskets that I needed, and then Home Depot for hardware. The total cost for these was $16, not bad at all.

Getting the stock B-Pipe off the cat was easy, because I had just put a new gasket in there a few weeks ago. No biggie. The muffler, however, was a different story. One of the nuts froze, and I ended up stripping it. So, with no drill or torch, I used a hacksaw to cut the bolt in half. This took about a half an hour, and was a major pain in the ***!

Install of the WS was kinda trickey. The main thing is to bolt everything together without tightening the bolts until you have all three pieces installed. After you get everything in and connected then you can tighten the sections all at once. I did this wrong at first. I tightened the two front sections (the bpipe) and put that on the car, and then tried to get the muffler to line up. It didn't, so I had to go back and loosen everything and start over.

There are no fitment problems (remember this is designed for a 95-96 and I have a 97) other than a small rattle from the cat area, but I'm going to figure that out today. The muffler is tucked about an inch. I like the way that it looks, but I am concerned about the bumber. I'm going to watch it for a few days before I decided to do anything.

Power? - Off the line I didn't notice and difference, but I think that's a good thing, because normally with a cat back you can lose a little torque. I can now easily chirp, and even spin second with my 17's on, which I couldn't really do before unless I powershifted (sp?). Top end feels a good bit stronger, and in nuteral the car feels like it revs a lot smoother and quicker!

Sound? - This set up is much, much quiter than the stock bpipe -> Stillen Muffler setup that I had. I don't think I like the exhaust's tone as much, as its a little higher sounding than with the Stillen, but there is no drone at all! I was a little worried because theblue has this catback with my old Y, and its really loud when he guns it. Maybe its the new Y or the RT Cat, but my car is a lot quiter!

Problems? - This morning when I got to work after my 15 minute highway commute, I smelled something from the exhaust, but I figure that's just coating and crap burning off. Should go away! I also haven't installed the O2 sensor. I am going to take the car to a shop next week to get that done. I'm not really in a hurry.

Overall I'm very happy. I should get to the track next week to see what this can do! I will take pics tonight...by the time I was finished last night it was dark out.
Old 08-22-2001, 07:55 AM
Administrator

thanks for the write up
Old 08-22-2001, 08:00 AM

very nice. just wondering how long did it take u to finish the entire installation? a suggestion... try and get the car dynoed. at least u'll know where u stand with the mods u have right now. hmm... something tells me the time in ur sig is gonna change pretty soon track this weekend?
Old 08-22-2001, 08:49 AM
ejj

Originally posted by mechanic
very nice. just wondering how long did it take u to finish the entire installation? a suggestion... try and get the car dynoed. at least u'll know where u stand with the mods u have right now. hmm... something tells me the time in ur sig is gonna change pretty soon track this weekend?
Well, its took me about 3 hours total. This includes sawing off that bolt. My jack also can only raise the car 14", so if you could get the car higher it would be a lot easier.

No track for me until next week. I have to help my gf move back to school this weekend. I can't imagine that this wouldn't help me lower that time though. The car feels faster!

As for getting dyno'd...that would be cool, but I have no idea where I can get one done in the area. Any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2001, 09:04 AM
Banned

Keep an eye out for the muffler tip hitting the bumper, on my car it melted part of the inside off. I have to go back and unbolt everything to make it sit right. Other thatn that i have no complaints
Old 08-22-2001, 09:29 AM

Hey ejj...I noticed you said it might be the blue RT Cat...but don't u also have a RT CAT? and if so do u think most of his high drone is due to the older Cattman pipe v.s the new one....just trying to see what would help bring the most gains without sacraficing quietness...I mean I wouldn't mind a lil growl..just not excessive noise
Old 08-22-2001, 09:40 AM

Sounds about like ehat I expirienced, as for the bumper, I wouldn't worry about it, I just got my Apex installed and drove about 12 hours strait and the bumper and paint were ok.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:47 AM
ejj

Originally posted by RICOiz704
Hey ejj...I noticed you said it might be the blue RT Cat...but don't u also have a RT CAT? and if so do u think most of his high drone is due to the older Cattman pipe v.s the new one....just trying to see what would help bring the most gains without sacraficing quietness...I mean I wouldn't mind a lil growl..just not excessive noise
No, I have and RT cat the theblue does not. Maybe that's the difference.
Old 08-22-2001, 10:40 AM

if ur up for a drive to TO there's a place where its just 60 CDN for 3 or 4 runs. i'm looking for the address, i'll post it or pm u when i find it.