General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

* Cattman / Warpspeed Y-pipe review *

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 08:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A comparison between Cattman and Warpspeed.
These are the facts that I've experienced and my personal opinions.

I am probably one of the few on the forum that has had both of these Y-pipes and can give a true comparison

http://www.geocities.com/breaux124/ypipes/review.html

Later on, I'll have side by side pictures and hopefully dyno info.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:13 AM

thanks for the review man.

you did a very informative and professional write up.
I say this should become a sticky.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Cool, interesting stuff.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:17 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by breaux124

I am probably one of the few on the forum that has had both of these Y-pipes and can give a true comparison

<~~~~~~~~~~Right now, I'm hiding from the flame war.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

<~~~~~~~~~~Right now, I'm hiding from the flame war.
I hope this doesn't happen. Many people have been happy with Warpspeed, but I was one of the early customers (like SprintMax) and we had issues with our Y-pipes.

I'm just commenting on the differences between the two Y-pipes, and giving insight into why Brian Catts charges more for his Y-pipe.

As you said before- Warpspeed is the value level Y-pipe and cattman is the higher level Y-pipe. (not an exact quote, but close)
Old 08-22-2001, 09:38 AM
RussMaxManiac

All I will say is you get what you pay for. Cattmans is much more expensive but better quality, of course. But alot of people have also had problems with his pipes, so don't expect in the long run the cattman to last as well..

I hope this doesn't happen. Many people have been happy with Warpspeed, but I was one of the early customers (like SprintMax) and we had issues with our Y-pipes.

I'm just commenting on the differences between the two Y-pipes, and giving insight into why Brian Catts charges more for his Y-pipe.

As you said before- Warpspeed is the value level Y-pipe and cattman is the higher level Y-pipe. (not an exact quote, but close)

Old 08-22-2001, 09:40 AM

Bryan I want to thank you for your write up....

This is the kind of information this forum could use. I think you're being as fair as you possibly can be in this Cattman/Warpspeed comparison. I would love to see the dyno's. I think that would be the most convincing factor in this comparison. Automotive magazines (i.e: Sport Compact Car) test products all the time, and they have the benefit of free dyno's and such. All we have on this Forum is each other. I'd like to see dyno charts of each pipe, and I'm willing to contribute a few bucks to the cause. So email me if you need some additional help. Y-pipe is my next power mod, and I'd like to buy the best performing part.

Thanks again Bryan!
PS: Where are you located?
Kev
Old 08-22-2001, 09:42 AM

I agree with everyone else, that was a great comparison, and done very professional. I have a WSP pipe and I haven't had any cust. serv. probs with warpspeed. but to each his own. IMHO....I agree that Cattman is alot more meticulous with his design and construction of his pipe but on a "budget" level warpspeed is a good product for the money.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:45 AM
Ford Only.

Good write up but we will soon see what the new Y is like.304 Tig welded lined WSP Y I should be receiving mine in about a week.I will let you all know what I think.I had issues with my Y also and Dallas kept good contact with me and know he is sending me the new Y.My opinion he was more than helpful in dealing with my problems.He says he doesnt even know who sprintmax is do you guys even bother emailing or calling dallas?
Old 08-22-2001, 09:55 AM

I know, but I've seen this before. Post some experiences in direct favor of one over the other, people get upset, name calling, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Even saying Cattman is the choice of picky people and Warpspeed is the choice of "champagne taste on a beer budget" gets flamey......

This was an excellent writeup. It will have to be incorporated in a FAQ/sticky somewhere.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
Good write up but we will soon see what the new Y is like.304 Tig welded lined WSP Y I should be receiving mine in about a week.I will let you all know what I think.I had issues with my Y also and Dallas kept good contact with me and know he is sending me the new Y.My opinion he was more than helpful in dealing with my problems.He says he doesnt even know who sprintmax is do you guys even bother emailing or calling dallas?
I called an emailed many times, I've saved all the emails and replys if you'd like to see them?
I also still have Dallas on my voicemail promising to send me a replacement Y-pipe...never happened.
From all the good things I've heard about Warpspeed's service, I must have been an isolated incident when they were first starting out.

To RussMaxManiac: Yes, the cattman Y-pipe may not last over time, but my warpspeed came to me with problems.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:37 AM

Re: Bryan I want to thank you for your write up....

Originally posted by 2ndMAX

I would love to see the dyno's. I think that would be the most convincing factor in this comparison. Y-pipe is my next power mod, and I'd like to buy the best performing part.

Thanks again Bryan!
PS: Where are you located?
Kev
I don't expect there to be too much of a difference in the Y-pipes. I'm doing this to satisfy my curiosity and to see if Warpspeed's Y-pipe makes the claimed 6hp over "that other Y pipe."

I'm in PA, right outside of Philly. Near King of Prussia
Old 08-22-2001, 11:55 AM
Ford Only.

I know, but I've seen this before. Post some experiences in direct favor of one over the other, people get upset, name calling, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Even saying Cattman is the choice of picky people and Warpspeed is the choice of "champagne taste on a beer budget" gets flamey......

This was an excellent writeup. It will have to be incorporated in a FAQ/sticky somewhere.
Sure it is a good write up but it is pro cattman.I dont think it would be fair to make it a sticky/faq.Due to the fact it would steer people from buying WSP due to the pro cattman in the write.Lets make a sticky comparing HP TQ ratings,and quality not some people customer service and packaging experience.I have my stories about Cattman too but I dont go doing write ups.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:11 PM

Nice writeup

Very well laid out. One suggestion though, I would try to leave it as objective as possible. Do you remember the oil filter study page?? It's here;

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html

When it came on-line originally, the authors handily mixxed his opinions with the tests, and he trashed FARM big time. He actually changed my mind about FRAM. Anyway, A lawyer contacted him and had his page taken down for a while. . . because of those comments. The page eventaully came back, but modified. The new page had the tests still there, but all his comments taken away, and he added another page with all his comments. Even his comments changed. They were not so direct, but you would get the gist of it.

Hope this helps!

DW

Old 08-22-2001, 12:16 PM

Sure it is a good write up but it is pro cattman.

To quote:

Don't let me make up your mind, decide for yourself. Look at the comparison chart below and decide if it's worth it to you to spend a few more dollars and get something that you'll be truely happy with. If I could do it all over, no doubt in my mind - Cattman's Y-pipe from the start!

Since he didn't hold a gun to your head, I assume you're more impressed with Cattman as well based on the pics and what you read?

I dont think it would be fair to make it a sticky/faq. Due to the fact it would steer people from buying WSP due to the pro cattman in the write.

1) It isn't your decision.
2) I don't put up half a$$ stickies, so I don't appreciate the implication that I would. I'm also not going to do anything until I see the dyno differences. Unfortunately, this is somewhat moot because Warpspeed is beginning to ship the 304 stainless pipes now. But on the other hand, it will address Warpspeed's claim of a 6 pony dyno gain with their current 409 pipe versus Cattman's 304 pipe.

I myself have a hard time believing two essentially similar products would yield that much difference on a dyno, whether it be in Cattman's favor or Warpspeed's.

Lets make a sticky comparing HP TQ ratings,and quality not some people customer service and packaging experience.

You seem upset at the light it puts on Warpspeed. Does the fact of how Warpspeed packaged their stuff bother you that much? Or are you hoping some other fact puts them in a better light to make you feel better about your purchase?

I have my stories about Cattman too but I dont go doing write ups.
Because you haven't made the effort to do so on your own personal webiste does not mean breaux124 cannot and post a link to it on here.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:45 PM

Re: Nice writeup

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Very well laid out. One suggestion though, I would try to leave it as objective as possible. Do you remember the oil filter study page?? It's here;

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html

When it came on-line originally, the authors handily mixxed his opinions with the tests, and he trashed FARM big time. He actually changed my mind about FRAM. Anyway, A lawyer contacted him and had his page taken down for a while. . . because of those comments. The page eventaully came back, but modified. The new page had the tests still there, but all his comments taken away, and he added another page with all his comments. Even his comments changed. They were not so direct, but you would get the gist of it.

Hope this helps!

DW

I agree, the objectivity needs some work. I'll take a stab at it.

Examples:

The Cattman Y-pipe comes with a nicely organized package.
Warpspeed comes with nothing.

Alternate:
The Cattman Y-pipe comes with all miscellaneous parts in an organized package.
Warpspeed comes with the miscellaneous parts free to "float around" in the box.

Package includes directions, OEM gasket and Crush rings, and stickers.
Non-OEM Gasket and crush rings are thrown into the box.
Gaskets and Crush Rings

Alternate:
The Cattman package includes directions, Nissan OEM gasket and crush rings as well as stickers.
The Warpspeed box included Non-OEM gasket and crush rings, which were floating around in the box.

Y-pipe is wrapped with bubble wrap around flanges. Comes via UPS.
Comes in a cardboard box, and no bubble wrap. *My box was crushed from US postal.

Alternate:
The Cattman pipe has bubble wrap around all flanges in the box. It was shipped via UPS and arrived unharmed.
The Warpspeed pipe had no bubble wrap. It was shipped via USPS and arrived with the box dented.

Made of 304 Stainless steel and TIG welded.
Made of 409 Stainless steel and MIG welded.

Alternate:
The Cattman pipe is made from 304 Stainless Steel and uses TIG welding.
The Warpspeed pipe is make from 409 Stainless Stell and uses MIG welding.

Welds are flush with the metal and very smooth.
Welds are good, but larger amounts of solder were used, so not very smooth.

Alternate:
The Cattman pipe welds are flush with the metal and very smooth.
The Warpspeed pipe welds are good as well, but larger amounts of solder were used, so it isn't very smooth.

Smaller LINED flex section, flexible out of the box.
Larger UnLined flex section, was stiff out of the box. Loosened up over time.**

Alternate:
The Cattman pipe has a small lined flex section, and is flexible out of the box.
The Warpspeed pipe has a larger flex section, was stiff out of the box, but loosened over time*.

*Warpspeed has moved to a LINED flex section on there newer Y-pipes. I have the new flex section, but it is not pictured here.

Alternate:
It should be noted that Warpspeed has since moved to a lined flex section on their newer y-pipes, and offer upgrade kits for those who have the older pipes with the unlined flex sections. My experience with this newer flex section is described at the top of this page. None of these pictures include an updated version of the Warpspeed y-pipe.

O2 sensor ***** are cleanly cut and welded into the pipe.
Extra metal shears around O2 sensor **** on interior, not very cleanly cut.

Alternate:
The Cattman pipe's O2 sensor mountings are cleanly cut and welded into the pipe.
The Warpspeed pipe's O2 sensor mountings have extra metal shears around the inside, and are not cleanly cut.

Rear flange is welded on, more secure.
Rear flange slides around, less secure, but more adjustable and forgiving.

Alternate:
The Cattman pipe's rear flange welded in and feels secure.
The Warpspeed pipe's rear flange slides around and feels less secure. However it does seem more "adjustable" and forgiving.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:02 PM
Administrator

its the dyno i am waiting on to jump ship
Old 08-22-2001, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
Yes.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:12 PM
Ford Only.

Evil,Evil Moderator...You said in your last post (This was an excellent writeup. It will have to be incorporated in a FAQ/sticky somewhere.)So that led me to beleive and is why I said what I said.But I did have problems with my Y and Dallas responded to all my emails and now is sending me the new 304 SS Y which is money a far better pipe than the one I have now which happens to be one of the first ones.I have been talking with Dallas alot and he is right there. So I am not trying to make my purchase feel better. As far as Cattman goes I have posted about how I was going to purchase a Y 2 years ago and sent a number of emails to which I got no response...You are truly evil Flame Me!
Old 08-22-2001, 01:13 PM

Dyno! Dyno! Dyno!
Old 08-22-2001, 01:19 PM

Why let the Dyno graphs decide??

How different can they really be?? They both have the pre-cats gone. If any y-pipe frees up ~10 to 15 HP, I think its safe to assume that the difference between Y-pipes will be less than 10%, cause the only difference between these 2 Ys is mandrel bends, welding and steel. So, you'll get 1.5 hp at the most if your are extremely lucky. I think I lose that much HP when I turn on the defogger

DW

Old 08-22-2001, 01:21 PM

Evil,Evil Moderator...You said in your last post (This was an excellent writeup. It will have to be incorporated in a FAQ/sticky somewhere.)So that led me to beleive and is why I said what I said.

Ok, gothca, but I was implying such a comparison needed to be in stickies somewhere. It is so rare that a writeup has pics to help the observer make up their own mind with the opinion, and that is why it was deemed excellent.

I don't want to flame. It's not nice. :halo:
Old 08-22-2001, 01:29 PM
Ford Only.

No love lost!
Old 08-22-2001, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Re: Why let the Dyno graphs decide??

if i was convinced it made a diff.. i would have bought the cattman already.. the sound of the warspeed is annoying, but its bearable.. so i already want to buy a cattman pipe.. its just the dyno if their is a diff that will push me over..

technically you can see different results.. because if the flex unit is not built the same and is leaking like Bry and i think.. then it might ither be more HP or less HP... so i am waiting as i said before *tapping foot*

How different can they really be?? They both have the pre-cats gone. If any y-pipe frees up ~10 to 15 HP, I think its safe to assume that the difference between Y-pipes will be less than 10%, cause the only difference between these 2 Ys is mandrel bends, welding and steel. So, you'll get 1.5 hp at the most if your are extremely lucky. I think I lose that much HP when I turn on the defogger

DW

Old 08-22-2001, 01:34 PM

Re: Why let the Dyno graphs decide??

DW
Well,

Warpspeed opened the door with the 6 pony gain claim, so I would enjoy seeing the matchup results.

I agree with your 1 to 2 pony difference, which can be attributed to dyno error, SprintMax being around with his e-field effects, my evilness messing up the air temperature, etc.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Why let the Dyno graphs decide??

Well,

Warpspeed opened the door with the 6 pony gain claim, so I would enjoy seeing the matchup results.

I agree with your 1 to 2 pony difference, which can be attributed to dyno error, SprintMax being around with his e-field effects, my evilness messing up the air temperature, etc.

wtf? you starting to sound like steve aka dmbmaxima boy
Old 08-22-2001, 01:59 PM

That's why im going with Budget...
Im stayin neutral

Old 08-22-2001, 02:00 PM

Re: Re: Why let the Dyno graphs decide??

Oh I get it. You alrady have quality concerns, the hp issue will "break the camel's back" so to speak. Cool.

DW

if i was convinced it made a diff.. i would have bought the cattman already.. the sound of the warspeed is annoying, but its bearable.. so i already want to buy a cattman pipe.. its just the dyno if their is a diff that will push me over..

technically you can see different results.. because if the flex unit is not built the same and is leaking like Bry and i think.. then it might ither be more HP or less HP... so i am waiting as i said before *tapping foot*

Old 08-22-2001, 02:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Why let the Dyno graphs decide??

wtf? you starting to sound like steve aka dmbmaxima boy

Why?

I'm just looking at it from a physics point of view......
Old 08-22-2001, 02:06 PM

I realize that the comparison is objective. I tried to remove most of my feelings, but it's just hard with what I've dealt with. I'll revise the review and try to remove most of the objectivity, but like I stated before it's also my experience that influenced my choices.

I was one of the early Warpspeed customers and since then they've really seemed to make lots of people happy. Maybe I was just an isolated incident when they were still a new company, but it still doesn't dismiss the facts of what happened to me.

I'm not trying to bash Warpspeed, I'm trying to show why Cattman cost more. Quality versus Value.

PS - Dyno runs are a go! This Saturday, 10AM EST. I'm doing two runs with each Y-pipe. Results will follow.
I don't expect much of a difference, but I'd like to see about the 6hp over "the other Ypipe"
Old 08-22-2001, 03:19 PM

Just wanna say...

I'd just like to say.. you did pretty damn well informing.. and that im happy i just bought a cattman y-pipe or my 92 SE
Old 08-22-2001, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by RICOiz704
That's why im going with Budget...
Im stayin neutral

It's too bad a non-mandrel bent pipe like Budgets could not be included in the dyno mix. This is a rare event when two pipes are tested on the same car and at about the same time and conditions.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:29 PM

yeh

good work man