General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Drifting a Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 06:56 PM

Anyone here practice drifting a Maxima. I want to try it. I tried to do it once, but I think I gotta turn off the ABS. Any tips?
Old 08-27-2001, 07:54 PM

Race Drift
This is performed at race speeds, when entering a high speed corner a driver lifts his foot off the throttle to induce a mild over steer and then balances the drift through steering and throttle motions. (note the car that is being used for this style of drift should be a neutral balanced car therefore the over steer will induce itself, if the car plows through any turn this technique will not work)

Braking Drift
This is performed by trail braking into a corner, then loss of grip is obtained and then balance through steering and throttle motions. (note: this is mainly for medium to low speed corners)

Faint Drift
This is performed by rocking the car towards the outside of a turn and then using the rebound of grip to throw the car into the normal cornering direction. (note this is heavy rally racing technique used to change vehicle attitudes during cornering, mainly tight mountain corners)

Clutch Kick
This is performed by depressing the clutch pedal on approach or during a mild drift to give a sudden jolt through the driveline to upset rear traction.

Shift Lock
This is performed by letting the revs drop on downshift into a corner and then releasing the clutch to put stress on the driveline to slow the rear tires inducing over steer. (this is like pulling the E-brake through a turn - note this should be performed in the wet to minimize damage to the driveline etc.)

Emergency Brake Drift
This technique is very basic, pull the E-Brake or (side brake) to induce rear traction loss and balance drift through steering and throttle play. (note this can also be used to correct errors or fine tune drift angles)

Dirt Drop Drift
This is performed by dropping the rear tires off the road into the dirt to maintain or gain drift angle without losing power or speed and to set up for the next turn. (note this technique is very useful for low horsepower cars)

Jump Drift
In this technique the rear tire on the inside of a turn or apex is bounced over a curb to lose traction resulting in over steer.

Long Slide Drift
This is done by pulling the E-brake through a strait to start a high angel drift and to hold this to set up for the turn ahead. (note this can only be done at high speed)

Swaying Drift
This is a slow side-to-side faint like drift where the rear end sways back and forth down a strait.

FF Drift (Front Wheel Drive Drift)
The E-brake as well as steering and braking techniques must be used to balance the car through a corner. (note the E-brake is the main technique used to balance the drift)

Power Over
This performed when entering a corner and using full throttle to produce heavy oversteer (tail slide) through the turn. (note: needs horsepower to make this happen)
Old 08-27-2001, 10:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GXE Spoiler
Anyone here practice drifting a Maxima. I want to try it. I tried to do it once, but I think I gotta turn off the ABS. Any tips?
you've been playing GT3 haven't u?
Old 08-27-2001, 11:13 PM

Wow.. never really thought that much about drifting.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:45 AM

Please do not trying any drifting technique on public roads near or anywhere close to people, poles, cows, or whatever. Please be safe when trying these manuvers, attain a driving school if you really want to fine tune your driving skills...
Old 08-28-2001, 05:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

it's rather difficult to drift a FWD or 4WD car unless you have the right road/tire conditions.
Old 08-28-2001, 05:45 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by Lime
it's rather difficult to drift a FWD or 4WD car unless you have the right road/tire conditions.

unless it is like they one in the 00\01 max commercial

that is some tight drifting
Old 08-28-2001, 11:34 PM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

Why not on a public road way ? or close to people, poles, cows, or whatever ?
I'm safe most of the time...blame the S4 who made me angry...I wanted to kick his butt bad....
Driving school....oh yeah....I went to one of those... thats what got me in to auto X, and I have a bad tendency to turn the highway or streets into a slalom course.
Fine tune my driving, I'd be in F1 Racing or Super Touring in a Maxima....You know what ? EXCELLENT IDEA~!

-Peace
you must show me sometime.. not with my car though
Old 08-29-2001, 01:16 PM

I have drifted a MAx a couple times, my 96 was the best though, definatley racing drift, going down a 4 lane hwy, at about 60 make a 90 degree turn at 60, just flung the wheel, car kicks sideways, used a little corrective steering, held it sideways for about 50 yds down this side street, slowly got it straight and didn't miss a beat the whole time, one of the best times I ever had in a Maxima. Same car two lane road, got going around a corner that had a little hump at the top of it at about 90 mph kicked the car completley sideways, little corrective steering got it back straight and my nerves were shot, bank of dirt on the right (free), ditch and trees on the left (free) 1996 Maxima ($13,000), the rush you get from kicking it sideways at 90 mph (priceless), drifted the 97 in my nieghborhood on purpose one time at about 50mph at like 2:00 in the morning, got a great turn from it, all I gotta do is have it in second, full throtlle and then let of the gas at the middle of the turn and bamn I'm drifting, it's a bunch of fun!!