General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Who's got the Stillen big brake kit? Please let me c your ride!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 04:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm contemplating this ... but would like 2 c how it looks ... did you upgrade your rims?

I know there's a 4th gen with it .. but I can't 4 the life of me remember the name!

Show yourself!
Old 08-31-2001, 04:15 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You know you have to get larger wheels if you get the BBK, right? 2k stock 17s won't work. Plan on spending major bling bling if you do upgrade.
Old 08-31-2001, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
You know you have to get larger wheels if you get the BBK, right? 2k stock 17s won't work. Plan on spending major bling bling if you do upgrade.
Yeah .. I had set my mind on the SSR GT1's or OZ Superleggera's n e ways in 18 x 8 ... Now I have 2 make sure they will fit ... I spent a good half hour with Hamilton @ Stillen talking about what I'll need 2 do this ... 1.4" pad height & 15.12" ID @ the minimum ..

this is OT .. but I like Hamilton ... he seems pretty knowledgeable (but then again .. I don't know that much so n 1 would b compared 2 me ) & is very friendly even though I never buy n e thing thru Stillen

The 4th gen guy I'm looking for has a bluish - green max .. not BrianV ... someone else ... who r u?
Old 08-31-2001, 05:11 PM

Eugene, did you rob a bank or something because everytime I see you post its about dropping major $$$ into your maxima (which is cool)
Old 08-31-2001, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by theblue
Eugene, did you rob a bank or something because everytime I see you post its about dropping major $$$ into your maxima (which is cool)
No ... but I won a lottery! $5M ...

J/K ... no .. I'm just going deeper in2 debt! I think this is a crazy obsession & need 2 seek professional counselling!

BTW ... have u moved yet? Coz has to send some new belts b/c the ones he shipped with the UPD don't fit ... ciao! Hey .. u coming up n e time soon? We're trying 2 organize a meet for early September ... maybe even this monday ... maybe I can bribe u 2 make a "run for the border"? so I can pick up my stuff on the CDN side? smuggling!
Old 08-31-2001, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by ohboiya

The 4th gen guy I'm looking for has a bluish - green max .. not BrianV ... someone else ... who r u?
shadow?
Old 08-31-2001, 05:46 PM

The maximas which have or had the kit that I klnow of are, VaporsSMX & Vic. Vic took them off his car and has been trying to sell them for a long time, email him and I bet you will get a good deal.

Vapors SMX rarely visits anymore but he did post a whole strool of pics about 5 months ago, dio a search{if it works}.

BTW I just installed my UDP today which I got from Coz and the belt that connects to the crank and power steering was about 3/4 inch to short, however I did manage to wrestle it on and it works great! Nighmare of a install though with that belt, I'm exausted.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:26 PM

Shadow's running a 300Z brake conversion. Stillen sold the kit at the time(not sure if they still do) but he bought the parts all separately and had the shop machine down the rotors and steering knuckles (which they forgot to do). They're very powerful brakes but they're not as visually attractive since they use stock diameter rotors but much thicker. They look strangely small behind his 19" wheels but they get the job done. In terms of cost its around 500 for all the parts including stainless lines but it takes a bit of labor to get them all on and working together. He mentioned a while ago that somebody might be trying to make a large diameter rotor and adapter plate for the Maxima and hopefully he'll be able to go that route.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:05 PM

They adverstise them as fiting on the stock 17" wheels just not the 16"s, are the lieing? I was hoping to get them and put them on. Prob is in the winter i take off my 19"s and put the 17"s back on. What part of it don't clear?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Old 08-31-2001, 09:07 PM

J/K ... no .. I'm just going deeper in2 debt! I think this is a crazy obsession & need 2 seek professional counselling!

BTW ... have u moved yet? Coz has to send some new belts b/c the ones he shipped with the UPD don't fit ... ciao! Hey .. u coming up n e time soon? We're trying 2 organize a meet for early September ... maybe even this monday ... maybe I can bribe u 2 make a "run for the border"? so I can pick up my stuff on the CDN side? smuggling!
hehe... tell me about it... I can't stop buying stuff but I have been very good this summer. if you have a meet that fits in well then I will be happy to drive. I am moving in about 8 hours so yes you'll need a new address to ship stuff (just down the street) I don't have my new address yet but I will have it when I move in and I'll email you or something once I know what is happening.

later.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:12 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by max'n out
They adverstise them as fiting on the stock 17" wheels just not the 16"s, are the lieing? I was hoping to get them and put them on. Prob is in the winter i take off my 19"s and put the 17"s back on. What part of it don't clear?

The offset is not correct. For my Z conversion, the center portion of the stock 17s rubbed the caliper.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:55 AM
Banned

Tony aka 1MAX2NV has the stillen bigbrake upgrade kit. he has a website just cant remember what it was.
Old 09-01-2001, 11:56 AM
Got Bent?

couldn't you use H&R wheel spacers to get the brakes to fit? Not the best solution, but it may be a lot cheaper than getting new rims....
Old 09-01-2001, 03:13 PM

Ohboiya -

r u 2 lazy to type out the entire words when you type? Reading letters and trying to translate into english is increidibly annoying...it reminds me of a 13 year old girl talking about her new n'sync poster.
Old 09-01-2001, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by guitaraus
Ohboiya -
r u 2 lazy to type out the entire words when you type?
yes ...

Reading letters and trying to translate into english is increidibly annoying...it reminds me of a 13 year old girl talking about her new n'sync poster.
o well ... tho i don't c what the prob is ...

sound e/t out phonetically ... it's not very challenging ... unless u r challenged
Old 09-01-2001, 05:49 PM
PhatGuy

Hi I am wee todd id

Old 09-01-2001, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Hi I am wee todd id
f u ... or r u 2 challenged 2 figure out what that means?

dude .. r u in2 chubby asians? cute pic ... reminds me of me now
Old 09-01-2001, 11:07 PM

Some situations call for being more casual than usual, and the internet is definitely one of them. But using abbreviations like "4get" and "UR" is a bit too casual for any situation. Put it this way - if the rest of the world is wearing pants, it's not the best idea to sit around in your boxers.
Old 09-01-2001, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by guitaraus
Some situations call for being more casual than usual, and the internet is definitely one of them. But using abbreviations like "4get" and "UR" is a bit too casual for any situation.
u think? why? it's a bunch of guys (& 2 few galz) sitting around talking about what they luv most ... their cars! how much more casual can u get?

Put it this way - if the rest of the world is wearing pants, it's not the best idea to sit around in your boxers.
but who cares? i'm sitting @ home in front of my computer ... u don't know what i'm wearing .. nor should u care ...
Old 09-01-2001, 11:18 PM

btw .. this is getting really off-topic ... we can take it 2 the ot forum .. but i'd rather not ...

this is just the way i write online ... most people don't seem 2 have n e issues ... i admit .. there r a few that think i'm an idiot b/c of the way i write ... but .. i truyl don't c a need 2 write otherwise ..

I can & will formulate sentences using proper grammer & spelling if required ... i just don't think i need 2 online ..
Old 09-01-2001, 11:29 PM

I have the 300ZX brake conversion, not the Stillen kit. Car isn't blue/green anymore either =)

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

shadow?
Old 09-01-2001, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Shadow
I have the 300ZX brake conversion, not the Stillen kit. Car isn't blue/green anymore either =)
Nice .. i figured out it was 1Max2NV ...

but ..

Do u find that your braking distances have actually decreased? or is this just 4 show? What did u end up paying 4 your set-up?

tkx!
Old 09-02-2001, 09:57 AM

The braking distances did decrease, I really can't measure them, but the car stops much harder. The brake pedal feel also has gotten much better. Overall, I'm happy with the setup. A lot of it was for show, but the performance is there.

Here's the cost breakdown.

'91 300ZX TT Calipers - $100 (Coz hooked me up)
Goodridge SS brake lines - $100
Brembo X drilled rotors (all four corners) - $300 (used)
Axxis pads - $45
Motul 600 - $too much for brake fluid.
Labor - $400 (too much in my opinion, but nobody else had any idea what to do)

Nice .. i figured out it was 1Max2NV ...

but ..

Do u find that your braking distances have actually decreased? or is this just 4 show? What did u end up paying 4 your set-up?

tkx!
Old 09-04-2001, 10:46 PM

Shadow,

How heavy do you think your kit weighs for all four corners? Does 150 lbs sound reasonable? The 4 piston AP Stillen kit I'm getting is supposed 2 b that heavy?

tkx! btw .. how much is the fluid?

Originally posted by Shadow
The braking distances did decrease, I really can't measure them, but the car stops much harder. The brake pedal feel also has gotten much better. Overall, I'm happy with the setup. A lot of it was for show, but the performance is there.

Here's the cost breakdown.

'91 300ZX TT Calipers - $100 (Coz hooked me up)
Goodridge SS brake lines - $100
Brembo X drilled rotors (all four corners) - $300 (used)
Axxis pads - $45
Motul 600 - $too much for brake fluid.
Labor - $400 (too much in my opinion, but nobody else had any idea what to do)