General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NOS info for the masses

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 09:42 AM

Yea what Matt said.

My kit came with 5, 60, & 70 shot.

BTW-I got my window switch modded from MSD for free.
Old 10-15-2001, 06:36 PM

Re: Re: MSD Ignition RPM switch

Originally posted by mtrai760
DOM: You can install your kit and add the MSD window switch later. It needs to be sent to MSD to be modified to work with a distributorless ignition, cost about $35 and you can usually have it back within a week.

Shadow and BlingedMax: Why are you guys argueing over the jet sizes? Who cares? It comes with a 50 shot, a 60 shot, and a 70 shot, or a .032, .034, .036, and a .042 for the fuel jetting. Okay!

My kit from nopi only came with one jet
does anyone know why then and the kit is advertised from 40-60 in the manual Im not trying to argue i just want to know what the right answer is

What exactly is the window switch and does anyone use a crane iginition
Old 10-16-2001, 09:53 PM

Ok, I'm working on installing the kit right now and it's going pretty well. I just had a couple of questions though. First one is how did you guys connect the fuel pressure safety switch to the fuel system? I got a tee and everything, but I wasn't sure how to connect the fitting on the safety switch to the rest of the system. I went to a shop and they sold me an adapter and nipple so I could hook it up, but I wanted to make sure that would work.
Next question is, why don't the parts thread together all the way? I clamped the solenoids in a vise, etc. and hooked up all the stuff, but the parts don't seem to thread in all the way. I'm afraid to overtighten, but I don't want it to be loose either. The parts seem to be tight, but there are threads exposed like it's not screwed together all the way. Is this normal? Or should I just keep tightening?
Finally, how do I adjust the fuel pressure safety switch?

Just so you guys know, I'm not unfamiliar w/ working on cars, just not too familiar w/ NOS kits. I had some friends help me who have installed the kits before, but they weren't too sure either w/ the maxima as they installed them on older camaros and mustangs.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Shadow
Ok, I'm working on installing the kit right now and it's going pretty well. I just had a couple of questions though. First one is how did you guys connect the fuel pressure safety switch to the fuel system? I got a tee and everything, but I wasn't sure how to connect the fitting on the safety switch to the rest of the system. I went to a shop and they sold me an adapter and nipple so I could hook it up, but I wanted to make sure that would work.
Next question is, why don't the parts thread together all the way? I clamped the solenoids in a vise, etc. and hooked up all the stuff, but the parts don't seem to thread in all the way. I'm afraid to overtighten, but I don't want it to be loose either. The parts seem to be tight, but there are threads exposed like it's not screwed together all the way. Is this normal? Or should I just keep tightening?
Finally, how do I adjust the fuel pressure safety switch?

Just so you guys know, I'm not unfamiliar w/ working on cars, just not too familiar w/ NOS kits. I had some friends help me who have installed the kits before, but they weren't too sure either w/ the maxima as they installed them on older camaros and mustangs.
you have to cut the fuel line after the fuel filter and before the fuel rail. you get a T fitting that has 2 barbed ends for the fuel line and one 1/8 NPT female fitting for the FPSS.

the parts are meant to be a tight fit. they are compression fittings and they have to hold 900+psi so that have to be tight. use teflon paste on these fittings. i screwed mine in until i couldn't turn anymore(and there was still thread left).

about the fuel pressure safety switch(FPSS) - i wrote an article on maximadriver.com in the tech section under NOS explained. it's the third topic down in the article. here's the link:
http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/nosxplained.html
Old 10-16-2001, 10:23 PM

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that I had tightened enough. I tightened to the point where I couldn't turn anymore, and I did use teflon paste. I guess I'll go get a new tee tomorrow.

Originally posted by sx7r

you have to cut the fuel line after the fuel filter and before the fuel rail. you get a T fitting that has 2 barbed ends for the fuel line and one 1/8 NPT female fitting for the FPSS.

the parts are meant to be a tight fit. they are compression fittings and they have to hold 900+psi so that have to be tight. use teflon paste on these fittings. i screwed mine in until i couldn't turn anymore(and there was still thread left).

about the fuel pressure safety switch(FPSS) - i wrote an article on maximadriver.com in the tech section under NOS explained. it's the third topic down in the article. here's the link:
http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/nosxplained.html
Old 10-16-2001, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by blingedmax

not according to holley or nos the 5124 kit comes able to adjust from 40-60 i have it
Old 10-17-2001, 09:45 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Re: Re: MSD Ignition RPM switch

Originally posted by blingedmax

My kit from nopi only came with one jet
does anyone know why then and the kit is advertised from 40-60 in the manual Im not trying to argue i just want to know what the right answer is

What exactly is the window switch and does anyone use a crane iginition
Not sure why your kit came with only one jet, sounds like some were missing. When my kit came it had no instructions, so things can be missing. You also may have gotten a different kit number than some of us, which would mean you got a different jet, ie 5123 instead of 5124, basically the same kit, but they come with different jets. The right answer is to look at your jets and see what size they are, and then go from there. A window switch is a product made by MSD and NOS that allows you to specify what RPM you want the NOS to Spray at, and what RPM you want it to shut off at, so that you don't spray to early, or spray into your rev limiter. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=9019 As for the Crane ignition, I don't think so. The Maxima has a distributorless ignition, which means that there are 6 coils. The only ignition I have found which I think might work (haven't been able to get a good answer) is the MSD HID system. Ive heard of it being setup on a 300z with distributorless ignition, the only downside being they only sell it in a 4 or 2 application, meaning you have to run 2 ignition boxes to cover all the cylinders. Good luck, hope this answered your questions.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: MSD Ignition RPM switch

I got a 5122 kit, and it ended up coming w/ all 3 jets. This is strange.

Originally posted by mtrai760

Not sure why your kit came with only one jet, sounds like some were missing. When my kit came it had no instructions, so things can be missing. You also may have gotten a different kit number than some of us, which would mean you got a different jet, ie 5123 instead of 5124, basically the same kit, but they come with different jets. The right answer is to look at your jets and see what size they are, and then go from there. A window switch is a product made by MSD and NOS that allows you to specify what RPM you want the NOS to Spray at, and what RPM you want it to shut off at, so that you don't spray to early, or spray into your rev limiter. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=9019 As for the Crane ignition, I don't think so. The Maxima has a distributorless ignition, which means that there are 6 coils. The only ignition I have found which I think might work (haven't been able to get a good answer) is the MSD HID system. Ive heard of it being setup on a 300z with distributorless ignition, the only downside being they only sell it in a 4 or 2 application, meaning you have to run 2 ignition boxes to cover all the cylinders. Good luck, hope this answered your questions.
Old 10-18-2001, 12:13 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

fuel pressure gauges????

i have not read the new posts but answer me this nos heads... fuel pressure gauges which are more accurate - mech. or eletrical? sprayin70 says eletrical sux and to stay mech. i want to put a eletrical gauge fuel gauge in the cockpit but mech. supposed to be better? any inputs.
Old 10-18-2001, 05:03 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: fuel pressure gauges????

Originally posted by nismo2020
i have not read the new posts but answer me this nos heads... fuel pressure gauges which are more accurate - mech. or eletrical? sprayin70 says eletrical sux and to stay mech. i want to put a eletrical gauge fuel gauge in the cockpit but mech. supposed to be better? any inputs.
do not use a mech. in the cockpit that is dangerous. the reason mech are better per say, is because you can get a full sweep one for 40 bucks. the half sweep elect. ones are 80 and the fulls are 180. if you really want to get into the jet changing and higher shots get the full. i have the half and run 100shot and it works good but i would like the full just because it's easier to read.
Old 10-18-2001, 05:06 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: fuel pressure gauges????

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

do not use a mech. in the cockpit that is dangerous. the reason mech are better per say, is because you can get a full sweep one for 40 bucks. the half sweep elect. ones are 80 and the fulls are 180. if you really want to get into the jet changing and higher shots get the full. i have the half and run 100shot and it works good but i would like the full just because it's easier to read.
thanx
Old 10-23-2001, 08:50 AM

Help with install and no CAI

Ok, I am going to do the install this weekend, but I do not know the best place to install the fan nozzle. I have a JWT popcharger and do not really want to have to by a $200 PRCai. Does anyone have any advise on the install.

My questions:

Where to install spray nozzle if i use the JWT intake?
Which vaccum line to use?
Where to install the solenoids and onto what?
What electrical source to tap into?

I pretty much have all the small things assembled. I just have to install it in the car.
Old 10-23-2001, 10:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Help with install and no CAI

Originally posted by 98sterlingmist
Ok, I am going to do the install this weekend, but I do not know the best place to install the fan nozzle. I have a JWT popcharger and do not really want to have to by a $200 PRCai. Does anyone have any advise on the install.
If it is not too much trouble, would you take some pictures of the install and post your thoughts and installation instructions?!

Thanks
Old 10-23-2001, 08:12 PM

Re: Help with install and no CAI

My questions:

Where to install spray nozzle if i use the JWT intake?
Which vaccum line to use?
Where to install the solenoids and onto what?
What electrical source to tap into?

I pretty much have all the small things assembled. I just have to install it in the car.
before i got my CAI, i just drilled a hole in the rubber coupling right before the throttle body and mounted the nozzle there. it worked fine. you use the vacuum line that goes into bottom of the stock fuel pressure regulator. install the solenoids with the included bracket and mount the bracket either against the firewall, the strut well, or wherever else you deem worthy. just don't attach it to any moving parts or the oil pan or things like that. main electical source(orange wire from relay)? the battery. switched 12v(red wire from relay) - cig lighter or something like that.
Old 10-23-2001, 10:49 PM

NOS FAQ

I found some pretty good FAQ's that basically reiterate the 10 pages above and add some usage information about NOS.
Enjoy the reading...

http://www.turbomx5.com/nitro1.htm

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/nos01.htm
Old 10-25-2001, 09:41 AM

NOS Information

I found some additional NOS information & wanted to share with everyone on this board. NOS is NOT for everyone. I got very excited when I read this thread first and almost ordered the NOS kit but now I am having second thoughts. Here's why...

1) If a bottle heater is not used, then the pressure and temperature may not allow for optimum performance. If you use a bottle heater, and it overheats the bottle AND the safety blow-off valve does not engage, you will have an explosion This did happen to someone.
http://www.healthyhome.net/NOS2.htm

2) If the safety valve does engage and let the gas through without an explosion, the N2O is actually VERY BAD for your health. It is officially declared a Hazardous Material by US Department of Labor and International Occupational Safety and Health Information Centre.
http://www.ilo.org/public/english/pr...0/icsc0067.htm

http://www.mathesongas.com/msds/NitrousOxide.htm

In links above search for keyword "death".
-----
I am NOT trying to scare you, just looking for the safest possible way to use a simple 50 shot Nitrous without damaging anyone or anything.

The key is not to let any Nitrous Oxide leak in your garage at the same time you cannot shut off/remove the safety valve for it will explode when it gets hot. So, what do you do when temperatures go in the 90, 100+ degrees Fahrenheit? The only solution would be a bottle heater and cooler. I would pay any price to have an accessory which will maintain optimum temperature & pressure inside the bottle, regardless of ambient temperature.

Until then...
Old 10-25-2001, 11:18 AM

Re: NOS Information

Originally posted by dashingMax
I found some additional NOS information & wanted to share with everyone on this board. NOS is NOT for everyone. I got very excited when I read this thread first and almost ordered the NOS kit but now I am having second thoughts. Here's why...

1) If a bottle heater is not used, then the pressure and temperature may not allow for optimum performance. If you use a bottle heater, and it overheats the bottle AND the safety blow-off valve does not engage, you will have an explosion This did happen to someone.

2) If the safety valve does engage and let the gas through without an explosion, the N2O is actually VERY BAD for your health. It is officially declared a Hazardous Material by US Department of Labor and International Occupational Safety and Health Information Centre.

I have heard of people wrapping a cool damp cloth around there bottle in the summer time. I my experience with hot weather, the trunk never seems to get as hot as the interior of the car. Probably because there are no window that let direct sunlight in. With a damp cloth you probably will not have to much trouble with NOS bottle temps.

-----
I am NOT trying to scare you, just looking for the safest possible way to use a simple 50 shot Nitrous without damaging anyone or anything.

The key is not to let any Nitrous Oxide leak in your garage at the same time you cannot shut off/remove the safety valve for it will explode when it gets hot. So, what do you do when temperatures go in the 90, 100+ degrees Fahrenheit? The only solution would be a bottle heater and cooler. I would pay any price to have an accessory which will maintain optimum temperature & pressure inside the bottle, regardless of ambient temperature.

Until then...
Old 10-25-2001, 11:23 AM

Re: Re: NOS Information

Hey 98sterlingmist: Did you try to post something...I guess technical difficulties...eh?

OOPS!! Never mind, I see it! Your answer is wrapped inside my quote section...
Old 10-25-2001, 12:09 PM

Whoops,
Its the part about a cool cloth on the bottle.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:21 PM

Whoops,
Its the part about a cool cloth on the bottle.
I am **** about safety. Just in case, what if the cloth doesn't do much good and the safety valve lets off some Nitrous Oxide or even worse KABOOM!!!??? What is my fallback/backup plan/safety option?!!
Old 10-25-2001, 06:09 PM

Re: NOS Information

Originally posted by dashingMax

-----

Until then...
1. That is why the bottle heater has a thermostat on it, to prevent that.

2. Yes, leaky NOS is bad but this is why they sugguest a blow down tube. That relieves the NOS pressure to the outside of the car. You wont need this unless you own a hatchback (Racing Rules) or so they say. If your bottle is up to the proper PSI, then you wouldnt have to worry about this.

It takes a lot for a bottle to explode. I leave my valve off all the time. If you live in temp over 100 degrees, i sugguest you leaving the bottle in side. I left my bottle in my trunk the whole sumemr with temps of 95+, it doesnt do anything except raise bottle pressure. At 90 degrees, your bottle will only be @ 900-950psi. That is the normal running PSI. You have no fear. Only idiots blow their cars but vecause they do not understand how NOS works & how to handle it. It is prue common sense.

50 shot is your safest bet. a 50 shot took 1 full second off of my AUTO.
Old 10-25-2001, 06:41 PM

Ok two questions.

First. I have a TV in my car. I have a laptop in my house. I bet you know where Im going with this... the whole Fast and Furious deal... Anyway that i can get all my info, fuel presure, boost ,etc, into a laptop? Has anyone made a program to do this? and made a way to import the sensors into a laptop? I think that would be so cool to have all the info on my lcd screen.

Also - I plan to get a 50 shot kit. I will then get summit racings window switch and send it off to those people MCD or whatever. Once i get that, am i 110% ready for my 50 shot?
Is a 50 shot with PR CAI and YPIPE enough to beat a 5.0 stang with headers exhust and pullies? Or will i need more nitrous?

Thanks. I read this whole thread and I didnt see anything about my first question. The second question has kind of been asked but not really anwsered. Thanks guys.
Old 10-26-2001, 07:50 AM

Re: Re: NOS Information

Originally posted by Synki

2. Yes, leaky NOS is bad but this is why they sugguest a blow down tube. That relieves the NOS pressure to the outside of the car. You wont need this unless you own a hatchback (Racing Rules) or so they say. If your bottle is up to the proper PSI, then you wouldnt have to worry about this.
Question: Does the standard NOS Kit (#5124) come with a blow-down tube? or is that an extra accesory? I looked on their site and found it, Part# 16160 (Nitrous bottle valve blown down tube). Is this it?
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...S/filters.html
Old 10-26-2001, 09:00 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

No, the kit doesn't come with a blow down tube...
Old 10-26-2001, 10:54 AM

Always remember, there is no dumb question esp when playing w/ NOS.

No, the kit doesnt come with a blow down tube. Tracks usually require hatchback cars to have them.

Nick: I had a in-adsh TV & my lappie & i was thinking the same thing. I hav eno idea who to do this, but it would look neat!

With a 50 shot, CAI, & Y-pipe, i can keep up with the new 4.6 stang (stock). I ran a 14.3 vs my friends 14.4 (stock convert.).

However, i have beaten the older mustangs early 80's to early 90's with the 5.0. I have Chris91SE as a witness to this. They are usually a low 15 stock but w/ some minor mods expect a 14.7-14.5. The guy i ran got me on the launch but i pulled right back and walked him. I ran a 14.4 vs his 14.7. He had intake, header, exhaust. I dont know about pulley. Put it this way, you may or may not win but it certainly increase your chances.

If you run a 50 shot, gauges are not need but i would suggest having them anyways. The switch you are tlakin about is called a Window Switch. The MSD is the beahpest of teh bunch but has been mroe then reliable for many of us. You will need to send it in & have them modifiy it for 1 cyl application. This will only set you back $30.
Old 10-26-2001, 02:02 PM

How good is the venom kit? Is it worth the money?
Old 10-26-2001, 03:38 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I don't think anyone is using it since it's so much $$$, but based on Venom's other products, I wouldn't get it, go for the JWT if you want an ECU controlled NOS kit, or just go for a Holley NOS kit...

Originally posted by Canuck
How good is the venom kit? Is it worth the money?
Old 10-26-2001, 11:17 PM

so what all guages do i need....??????? Egt A/f boost...????just curious....
Old 10-28-2001, 09:36 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

With a 50 shot you don't 'need' any, but the best gauges to get would be a full sweep 0-100psi fuel pressure gauge, an EGT, and a nitrous pressure gauge.

Originally posted by pawn
so what all guages do i need....??????? Egt A/f boost...????just curious....
Old 10-28-2001, 12:10 PM

Which bottle heater do I get the 12v dc or the 11o ac?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2001, 01:03 PM

NOS bottle heaters shouldnt be A/C at all. They are all D/C supplied power. NOS bottle heater is probably the cheapest going right now.
Old 10-28-2001, 01:19 PM

With the MSD Window Switch did how do you get it to work on a distributerless engine. Do you just send it to MSD and they reprogram it?

Also where could I get an NOS window switch, I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2001, 02:03 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

With the MSD Window Switch did how do you get it to work on a distributerless engine. Do you just send it to MSD and they reprogram it?

Thanks
yes for 30 bucks they will reprogram it to work with a 1 cyclinder application.
Old 10-28-2001, 03:00 PM

Thanks
The MSD switch is about $75-80 and the mod costs $30. You need to send it out to MSD in El Pasa Tx and tell them you need it modded for a Maxiam that has individual coil packs and need it set up for 1 cylinder applicaiton.

You can order teh NOS window switch from Jegs. The NOS window switch will get you back about $175. (This is why many of us went with MSD).
Old 10-28-2001, 07:02 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, the only thing now is that I am worried that I don't have the skills to install it myself, so I gotta find someone else to do it. How much should I pay, and what kind of shop will do it.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2001, 07:21 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, the only thing now is that I am worried that I don't have the skills to install it myself, so I gotta find someone else to do it. How much should I pay, and what kind of shop will do it.

Thanks

did you buy a kit????
Old 10-28-2001, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by pawn

did you buy a kit????
I am about to buy Thomas's kit. I am also trying to get a bottle opener, rpm switch and heater. What about you?
Old 10-28-2001, 07:26 PM

I am about to buy Thomas's kit. I am also trying to get a bottle opener, rpm switch and heater. What about you?

get on aim!
Old 10-29-2001, 03:30 PM

Thanks

A shop here said a day and a half! Which is like 450 bucks. As much as the kit. Yuck!
Old 10-29-2001, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson

A shop here said a day and a half! Which is like 450 bucks. As much as the kit. Yuck!
I am not sure where you live but I hope that is not US Dollars! I live in Chicago and it is by no means cheap up here.
I was quoted $250 by Car Boutique to install the standard NOS kit with the Bottle heater.
Another shop (APG Performance) quoted me $300 to do the kit, A/F gauge, EGT gauge & NOS pressure gauge, all gauges insalled in the cockpit!!

Quick Reply: NOS info for the masses