General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Starting sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2000, 06:30 AM
The missing moderator

This morning, I turn the ignition to 'on'. let it sit there for about 10 sec... let the fuel pump prime up. Crank the car, sounds like it started, stalls.... let it sit... crank again, stalls. crank again, hold down gas peddle for 3-5 seconds... stalls. crank again, hold gas down... stalls. crank again, hold gas, rev to 2000rpm... hold gas... let go, does not stall. What the??? it's happened a few times already... not this bad. any ideas?

-Shing
Old 10-27-2000, 07:08 AM

Same problem with me it seems to happen when its cold->

It happens to me everyday now. I thinking of taking it to the dealer to see whats wrong.
Old 10-27-2000, 07:18 AM
The missing moderator

Re: Same problem with me it seems to happen when its cold->

Originally posted by Jose
It happens to me everyday now. I thinking of taking it to the dealer to see whats wrong.
If you find out please let me know... it's not cold in houston... so I donno what the problem could be.

Thanks,
-Shing
Old 10-27-2000, 08:08 AM

me 2

i've been gettin that lately ... mostly the morning when its cold tho..

but it usually start the second time..
if u figure it out let me know ..

Ant
Old 10-27-2000, 09:35 AM

Shing.....

for the next couple of times cold warm whatever.....DON'T let the fuel pump prime the engine. Just turn the key and start it right away. My 93 seems to start easier(not that it ever doesn't start easy) when I just turn it and fire her up. When I let it prime for a sec or two it seems to take an extra few turnovers to start....like its getting too much gas.

Try it and let me know.

Mike S.
Old 10-27-2000, 09:39 AM
The missing moderator

Re: Shing.....

Originally posted by Mike S.
for the next couple of times cold warm whatever.....DON'T let the fuel pump prime the engine. Just turn the key and start it right away. My 93 seems to start easier(not that it ever doesn't start easy) when I just turn it and fire her up. When I let it prime for a sec or two it seems to take an extra few turnovers to start....like its getting too much gas.

Try it and let me know.

Mike S.
Ahh but that leads to another problem the 4th gens have... you start it up too fast, there won't be enough fuel in the lines and the engine won't turn over. You'd have to crank and crank and crank. Maybe it's really the same problem.. I am thinking that the problem is in the fuel pump...

-Shing
Old 10-27-2000, 10:04 AM

Shing: It happens to me too >>

Sometimes it takes like 5 cranks of the starter to turn the engine over...sometime..she sputters for a second or two before the rev settle...

Maybe it's the high compression?
Old 10-27-2000, 10:26 AM
I'm needing a caw

Should be a check valve in the fuel system that keeps the fuel pressure up when the car is off. Maybe that's it?
Old 10-27-2000, 10:42 AM
Banned

mine did it and it ended up being a timing problem....

Old 10-27-2000, 04:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmm...I've noticed just the slightest hesitation to start in the last week or so. Just barely noticable. It has been cold here in the mornings.

Jim
Old 10-27-2000, 05:10 PM

once in a while i had to crank and crank to get the car started but after my new battery the problem went away. weird...
Old 10-27-2000, 05:40 PM
compu_squid

Same here in NY as of just this week. I thought it might be the fog around here this week couples with the Stillen Pop Charger? Possibly water vapor saturating the element. I'm at 30k and I was also thinking maybe changing the fuel filter. Thoughts?

Old 10-28-2000, 04:00 PM

bad starts

THis is what I have noticed about the starting in our cars. If we turn and try to start the car and hold it down--letting it crank until it turns over--that is fine...lately there is some hesitation. However, if you are turning it over and it doesn't turn over and you turn the key back and try to start it again, it would take forever to--I believe it has soemthing to do with the fuel pump/ pressure?

anyone has this?
Old 10-28-2000, 05:10 PM

Yeah, I sometimes have that starting problem too. The PROBLEM is that the dealer won't even bother to check out the problem unless you can reproduce it to show them the car has a real problem.

I wonder if the fuel pump is covered under the powertrain warranty (5/60k, not the bumper to bumper).
Old 10-28-2000, 09:38 PM

this happen to me and it was the starter. when it gets cold most of the time it will refuse to start. if u keep on insisting then it will not crank at all. but once u get it started and the engine starts to warm up then it will start ok from then on. i kept my car like that then one day it took it a really long time to start. once it did the check engine lite came on. kept on driving for another 4-5 day. after that it would not crank or anything. battery was good because everything else work cool. got it to the dealer to change the starter for 500 big one. yeah i know i could have gone somewhere else for cheaper price. of course i have 100k on my car but it went bad around 90k
Old 10-28-2000, 10:12 PM

i live in hawaii and i have the same problem. took it to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong??? the very next day same problem... does nissan even know of this problem in "some" of the maximas? my dads max doesnt have this problem and he has more miles than i do???
Old 10-28-2000, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by apexi
i live in hawaii and i have the same problem. took it to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong??? the very next day same problem... does nissan even know of this problem in "some" of the maximas? my dads max doesnt have this problem and he has more miles than i do???
before mine went dead it was intermitten. damn i think i spelled that wrong. anyway. mine only acted up when i first start it in the morning, when it's cold, or when it's been a long time since i start the car. the problem was that the bushing in the starter is worn out. at least that was what i was told.
Old 10-29-2000, 09:07 AM
The missing moderator

In my case it's not the starter. The car starts but won't idle, then stalls. This is more than likely a fuel delievery problem, not starter.

-Shing

Originally posted by Yellowbrother
this happen to me and it was the starter. when it gets cold most of the time it will refuse to start. if u keep on insisting then it will not crank at all. but once u get it started and the engine starts to warm up then it will start ok from then on. i kept my car like that then one day it took it a really long time to start. once it did the check engine lite came on. kept on driving for another 4-5 day. after that it would not crank or anything. battery was good because everything else work cool. got it to the dealer to change the starter for 500 big one. yeah i know i could have gone somewhere else for cheaper price. of course i have 100k on my car but it went bad around 90k
Old 10-29-2000, 11:11 AM

I believe I know what it is.....

Originally posted by Shingles
This morning, I turn the ignition to 'on'. let it sit there for about 10 sec... let the fuel pump prime up. Crank the car, sounds like it started, stalls.... let it sit... crank again, stalls. crank again, hold down gas peddle for 3-5 seconds... stalls. crank again, hold gas down... stalls. crank again, hold gas, rev to 2000rpm... hold gas... let go, does not stall. What the??? it's happened a few times already... not this bad. any ideas?

-Shing
Now if the car idles fine when its warmed up then its your IAAC or whatever its called. The problem is over time the actuators get covered in grime and they work slower than normal so they don't allow enough air in. The fix (if this is the problem) is to remove the AAC unit and clean it. When you remove it take it completely apart so you get to the magnetic actuators that control it. Clean them and the spring/hole its in. This should fix your cold idle problem, now if that doesn't work check your air regulator if the VQ30DE has one. Since your fuel pump is on when you turn the kit, its not that otherwise you could check your ECU for an error code. But I'm willing to bet either your AAC or air regulator is clogging up.
Old 10-31-2000, 02:14 AM

thanks for the help!