General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Addco Rear Anti-Sway Bar, initial impressions..........

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 09:08 AM

Addco Rear Anti-Sway Bar, initial impressions..........

Installation was pretty straight forward, and instructions that were included were decent. Plus there are a wealth of Maxima.org member sites that have very detailed instructions so I wont comment much on that. Now took the car out for a quick drive and I was instantly impressed. On the first corner even at low speed the rear end resisted to roll. It was a bit surprising, but very welcome. I drove around a few low speed(under 30)and medium speed bends (under 50) and things felt nice and balanced. I was also breaking in a new set of Stillen X-drilled rotors so I was driving very fast at all. Later in the evening I went to a particular high speed bend I love to take just to see the difference with the Rear bar there. The bend is an off ramp from the LIE to exit 44. If you go south its a really nice slightly banked high speed sweeper. I usually enter off of the highway at about 70-75mph and just lean the car through the whole bend at that speed. This time I decided to push it a little more to see just how much of a difference the Addco bar would make. Yeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaa! Is all I can say. With a grin from ear to ear I was loving it. Now first you can feel that the rear end is very planted, and stays set even as you push harder. I flew through this bend just over 80mph!!! and it felt great. I never let off the gas, I actually squeezed more. Man I only wish I had this bar sooner. If you're considering this as your next mod think no more. GET ONE! This mod doesn't affect ride harshness and makes the car more safe on high speed journeys. I've heard that the Stillen bar is better and I cant say since I've never had one installed on my car, but with the Stillen bar costing more almost a $100 more than the Addco bar I could help but go with Addco.

Now I'm not saying go kill yourself testing new suspension mods, the above is a turn that I must have taken at least 100 times (no kidding) so I'm very familiar with the turn and I only drive that hard when its empty. So please dont blame me for any of your blunders. I'm just sharing a review about a mod that I think all Maxima's should have right off the assembly line. I'd like to hear from any owners that have owned both Addco and Stillen bars just to see how they feel about the difference.
Old 09-24-2001, 10:08 AM

Re: Addco Rear Anti-Sway Bar, initial impressions..........

where did u get the RSB and abot how much did u pa 4 it?
Old 09-24-2001, 10:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same experience this weekend.

I installed my Stillen RSB (which I got used for $160 ) and I was instantly impressed by the handling improvement. I even adjusted the bar a few times and I now I've got it where I feel comfortable.

Taking turns with the RSB is much easier (aka.. you can take turns faster) This is a definate must for the maxima. The FSTB and the RSB make a HUGE difference.

Just to compare I took out my friends stock 95 maxima and it was a world of difference.
Old 09-24-2001, 11:13 AM

I know exactly what you're talking about.....

Didn't driving your friends stock Maxima feel almost dangerous in comparison to your car equipped with FSTB and RSB!?!? It amazes me how these small handling improvements on the Max me feel sooo much more confident in everyday and at the limit driving. Now if we could only get someone to make some chassis braces for the Max. Similar to Akimoto Sports "Monkey Bars" or Suspension Techniques chassis braces for newer imports. In the name of stiffening up the Max will Cattman, or Warpspeed (forget about Stillen 4th gens are a lost cause to him) rush to our aid with yet another suspension mod? I really think chassis brace maybe to further strengthen the front and/or rear suspensions would give us near "Touring Car" handling traits for the streets. Anyway no one will run with this idea though. I dont think they're enough interested Max owners to make this worth wile.

Originally posted by breaux124
I had the same experience this weekend.

I installed my Stillen RSB (which I got used for $160 ) and I was instantly impressed by the handling improvement. I even adjusted the bar a few times and I know I've got it where I feel comfortable.

Taking turns with the RSB is much easier (aka.. you can take turns faster) This is a definate must for the maxima. The FSTB and the RSB make a HUGE difference.

Just to compare I took out my friends stock 95 maxima and it was a world of difference.
Old 09-24-2001, 01:38 PM

I put my Addco RSB on this weekend as well. My impressions are simular to yours. It seems like the rear end "Flattened Out" while taking a corner, and in combination with the fstb it made the car very responsive.
I can't wait to upgrade my struts to complete the job.
Old 09-24-2001, 02:09 PM

cant wait till i get mine installed!
Old 09-24-2001, 02:27 PM

Very nice! I will be manipulating my susp. very,very soon!
Old 09-24-2001, 02:40 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

yes, this is a very good mod.
Old 09-24-2001, 03:10 PM

they are great, but you'll soon forget about them and wish you had even more suspension mods
Old 09-24-2001, 07:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I know exactly what you're talking about.....

Ok...Kevin you convinced me, after seeing the RSB at your house on Saturday before you installed it and then seeing it tonight on the car and hearing about your joy ride. I'm getting one. Just don't forget your coming over to help install it.
Old 09-25-2001, 07:00 AM

Re: Re: I know exactly what you're talking about.....

Originally posted by i999Maximagirl
Ok...Kevin you convinced me, after seeing the RSB at your house on Saturday before you installed it and then seeing it tonight on the car and hearing about your joy ride. I'm getting one. Just don't forget your coming over to help install it.
Anytime you're ready just let me know. I've got to post pics soon, of the bar and all the painting you help me get done. So, when will you be ready to paint your calipers? I still have plenty of paint.
Old 09-25-2001, 07:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: I know exactly what you're talking about.....

Originally posted by 2ndMAX

Anytime you're ready just let me know. I've got to post pics soon, of the bar and all the painting you help me get done. So, when will you be ready to paint your calipers? I still have plenty of paint.
Anytime before Friday I have to get this car up and running and looking good for the meet Friday night. You know I can't go with NoS in the car and have the car lookin like hell.
Old 09-25-2001, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by theblue
they are great, but you'll soon forget about them and wish you had even more suspension mods
yeah...tell me about it...
Old 09-25-2001, 08:38 AM

Does anyone know if the addco or stillen would perform different cause the addco is attached to the rear beam and the trailing arms, whereas the stillen isn't attached to the rear beam.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:59 AM

Is anyone gonna tell me where i can get the Addco RSB??? I don't want really feel like paying 300 or whatever stillen is charging..

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by thebigsadler
Is anyone gonna tell me where i can get the Addco RSB??? I don't want really feel like paying 300 or whatever stillen is charging..

Thanks.
Look around and you shall find

http://www.cattman.com/specials.shtml
$119

http://www.custommaxima.com/GroupDea...arSwayBar.html
$115

find out who ships cheaper and faster.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:09 AM

Thanks.
custommaxima thats where I am getting mine.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:34 PM

I got mine from Speedyt for $118 shipped in the Group Deal forum. I tried to install it yesterday but the bolts that go on the trailer arms would not fit I have a 5th Gen, any suggestions? I was so ****ed cuz I was so close to completing to the then had to abort.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:55 PM

You have to hammer the bolts that go on the trailing arms. NOT TOO HARD THOUGH! Just hammer it slowly until it fits over.

Also, on the 5th gen, there were reports of clunking noises. If you look under there, you'll see a canister-like object on the brake line. You don't want the bolts touching that canister-thing.

Originally posted by chilltownryderz
I got mine from Speedyt for $118 shipped in the Group Deal forum. I tried to install it yesterday but the bolts that go on the trailer arms would not fit I have a 5th Gen, any suggestions? I was so ****ed cuz I was so close to completing to the then had to abort.
Old 09-25-2001, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by clee130
You have to hammer the bolts that go on the trailing arms. NOT TOO HARD THOUGH! Just hammer it slowly until it fits over.

Also, on the 5th gen, there were reports of clunking noises. If you look under there, you'll see a canister-like object on the brake line. You don't want the bolts touching that canister-thing.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'm gonna remove the rear wheels just to make life easier this time. I'll give it a go hopefully tonight.
Old 09-25-2001, 04:03 PM

Thanks.
Talk to Greg at WWW.custommaxima.com . He will hook you up.
Old 09-26-2001, 09:51 AM

Thanks.
i got mine from www.shox.com for $149 shipped.

i have stock suspension and tires, so the rsb made a difference, but i can't take turns at 80 yet! maybe one day

i think the added weight of the rsb low to the ground seems to make the car feel a bit better balanced with respect to weight distribution.
Old 09-26-2001, 01:40 PM

Has anyone noticed a bit of oversteer when lifting off the gas in a turn? That's kinda what I was looking for in an anti-roll bar. It'll keep me planted when on the gas, and help the tail step out a bit when I lift. I hope!