General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Do you let the dealership wash your car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 08:35 AM

Do you let the dealership wash your car?

When I get non-minor services, sometimes they wash the exterior of my car. Now I wonder what they use to wash because I have 2 coats of Zaino on there and I would not want them using stuff that will get the wax off.

BTW, what is a good shampoo for car wash that doesn't strip?
Old 09-25-2001, 08:39 AM

nice dealership.. none around here wash the car for us!

then again, I never go to the dealer for service so I wouldn't know.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:52 AM

I work part-time at a GM dealership as the lot jockey/night clean-up/detailing person, and I can assure you our cleaning staff is top-notch, and we use excellent products. However, I don't know if the same is true for other dealerships....

Our dealership buys most of its products in bulk from a detailing supplier, so its good crap. When someone requests a wax job, we use Meguiars, and our soap is from Diamond Magic. Whenever someone gets major serive done where I work, they usually get a full interior wipe-down, window cleaning, vac job, wash, wheel cleaning, and tire dressing. Id trust my GM dealer to wash any car, but I really don't know what other dealerships are like.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:57 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by Pancor
I work part-time at a GM dealership as the lot jockey/night clean-up/detailing person, and I can assure you our cleaning staff is top-notch, and we use excellent products. However, I don't know if the same is true for other dealerships....

Our dealership buys most of its products in bulk from a detailing supplier, so its good crap. When someone requests a wax job, we use Meguiars, and our soap is from Diamond Magic. Whenever someone gets major serive done where I work, they usually get a full interior wipe-down, window cleaning, vac job, wash, wheel cleaning, and tire dressing. Id trust my GM dealer to wash any car, but I really don't know what other dealerships are like.
hmmm discounts on GM parts?
Old 09-25-2001, 08:57 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

this one dealership in mass does it, but they have minimum wage workers doing it. I was watching them and didn't like what i saw. So i declined the wash, and said they could vaccum it. Car comes out washed and not vaccumed. They said the guys can't read english. I never went there again. I wouldn't trust them.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:02 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

no...

I wont let them.. they scratched my Bose radio plastic and instrument cluster plastic with scratchy brown paper towels. I was NOT happy.. they couldnt understand what I was upset about.....

If my paint wasnt already so bad from the factory, I might have noticed scratches from their wash job.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:07 AM

Re: no...

Yup, since most consumers don't really care about their cars because they consider them a 'tool', dealerships seem to think it's ok to not use care when working on cars.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:35 AM

The funny thing is that we obsess about keeping our cars clean and spotless and not letting anyone touch or drive the car. I WAS like that. But then I realized...well, it's just a car !

I still take care of my car meticulously, but I try not the sweat the small stuff like the occasional minor scratch, etc.. Even if you take the greatest care in protecting the car, it can always be stolen, crashed into, or vandalized. So, relax, and if the dealer wants to wash your car, think of it as a weekend where you will have an extra hour to do something else besides breaking out the scrub brush and bucket on your driveway.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:00 AM
Banned

I get my oil changed at the dealership mainly because it's $21.00 and done by a Nissan Tech. Since the dealership I go to(Thompson Nissan/BMW) also sell BMW they wash the outside of the car no matter what service you are in for. Plus every 5th oil change is free, can't beat a deal like that. When I bought my car last year from Thompson they kept telling me they just invested $80,000 in a new state-of-the-art brushless wash system...must sway some people to have there car serviced by them if they can get a free car wash. Not sure about the soap but I can't imagine it's any worse then a normal pay wash.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:33 AM

hmm how do you land a job detailing for a dealership?
Old 09-25-2001, 11:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No way... I never let the dealer wash my car. They always offer when I bring it in for service, but I tell them no. I do it myself, by hand, then wax it myself, also by hand. No way I'm letting them touch it. All they do is make swirl marks.....
Old 09-25-2001, 12:02 PM
Got Bent?

just to be safe, I would say no
Old 09-25-2001, 12:39 PM

I guess not all dealerships take care of customer cars as well as we do. Whenever we wash dark coloured cars, we get a brand new wash mitt. We do use wash mitts 4-5 more times, but only on cars that are light coloured or already have many scratches in them.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:45 PM

Haven't been offered one yet.
Old 09-25-2001, 02:17 PM

Yeah, I also am kinda fanatical about having it always clean and take care of it in a certain way. I would not let them do it unless I knew they did it well. Or at least used decent tools. I once brought my dads truck for an oil change and when it came out they said they washed it. I think though somone forgot to tell them to use a sponge and not the nearest rake. I would not get mine done by them. Hey NickStam you inr Ma too? Which dealership did you goto?

SuDZ
Old 09-25-2001, 02:24 PM
Kevlo for President

OMG ur dealership offers too wash ur car
Old 09-25-2001, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
Yeah, I also am kinda fanatical about having it always clean and take care of it in a certain way. I would not let them do it unless I knew they did it well. Or at least used decent tools. I once brought my dads truck for an oil change and when it came out they said they washed it. I think though somone forgot to tell them to use a sponge and not the nearest rake. I would not get mine done by them. Hey NickStam you inr Ma too? Which dealership did you goto?

SuDZ
i went to the one in Dedham.