General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Thinking about buying a 4th or 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000, 10:35 AM
skinny2

First off, I've owned two Camry V6's, putting between 150-200K miles on each one and my third is coming up on 130K miles. The newest one just doesn't impress me enough to buy another, so I'm thinking about a Max. I am no longer driving 50K miles per year, down to more like 15K, so extreme comfort/reliability aren't as important. I'm thinking about a used 99-2000 maxima, but I'm not sure which gen to go with. I certainly don't want anything less powerful than my V6 Camry, which has enough power to blow by the average commuter. What is everyones opinion on the extra HP the 5th gen has? Will I be satisfied with pocketing some cash and living with the 4th gen peformance? Based on looks, I don't have a favorite.

I know the max's are supposed to get premium, as are my Camrys, but I rarely run premium and can't tell any difference if I do. Can I do the same in the Max and what kind of mpg are you guys averaging?

Lastly, are there any major problem areas I should be aware of on these cars? Beyond major, how do the brakes hold up? I can't stand turning rotors/squealing brakes all the time.

Sorry for so long, but it's about an hour out of my way to take a look at some max's and I'd like to have a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any info!
Al

Old 10-31-2000, 11:50 AM

in my opinion

I have a 95, and have driven numerous 2k's and if you don't have a preference on looks, save yourself the cash and get a 4th gen. They are quicker in my opinion. If you want performance, the 95s are the fastest, but general consensus is 97's are put together the best. (Less rattles, squeeks) So I would suggest finding a nice 97 and enjoy the ride.

Old 10-31-2000, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by skinny2
First off, I've owned two Camry V6's, putting between 150-200K miles on each one and my third is coming up on 130K miles. The newest one just doesn't impress me enough to buy another, so I'm thinking about a Max. I am no longer driving 50K miles per year, down to more like 15K, so extreme comfort/reliability aren't as important. I'm thinking about a used 99-2000 maxima, but I'm not sure which gen to go with. I certainly don't want anything less powerful than my V6 Camry, which has enough power to blow by the average commuter. What is everyones opinion on the extra HP the 5th gen has? Will I be satisfied with pocketing some cash and living with the 4th gen peformance? Based on looks, I don't have a favorite.

I know the max's are supposed to get premium, as are my Camrys, but I rarely run premium and can't tell any difference if I do. Can I do the same in the Max and what kind of mpg are you guys averaging?

Lastly, are there any major problem areas I should be aware of on these cars? Beyond major, how do the brakes hold up? I can't stand turning rotors/squealing brakes all the time.

Sorry for so long, but it's about an hour out of my way to take a look at some max's and I'd like to have a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any info!
Al
You mentioned comfort and reliability are not as important.
The maxima is all that and more. The max in my opinion is the better car than the camry. They are both very reliable. I am more for spirited driving so I like the SE model. However, it sounds like you want more luxury. If this is the case go with a nice preowned Infiniti I-30. Same chasis and engine as Maxima. The heart of the maxima is the engine and you can get it in the I-30.

And yes the brakes can squeal sometimes but shims take care of that. You can do a search for the answers to the rest of your questions
Old 10-31-2000, 12:00 PM
Ramon

Well if you're gonna get an automatic, I'd say go with a 4th Gen. I'm not positive, but I believe that the extra HP that the 5th gen makes is right around 6500rpm right??? Well if that's the case, the auto gearbox shifts before that so the extra power isn't really usable.

-Ramon

Old 10-31-2000, 12:09 PM
Rit

I have a 98 5 sp. and I've run 87 octane, and quite frankly

haven't noticed much difference in performance. I then offset it with 93 octane. I've gotten about 28-30 mpg highway from NY to Fla at 80 MPH. My normal is about 24 mpg with a mix of half highway driving. I find the car VERY reliable, and i haven't been plagued with any squeeks, or any problems - except a burned out interior light, in 2+ years of ownership. But, i really don't beat on the car very much.
Old 10-31-2000, 12:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You've come to the right place

I presonaly own a 95 Maxima that just hit 90K and runs better then ever {realy}.It has been very reliable to me it has never not started or stold on me at all.It's brakes never squel untill they need to be changed and I average 25MPG with many performance mods and driving quickly.You can use 87 octane if you want to but it will retard your computer and in result give you less performance.Also the 4TH and 5TH gen Maxima are a bit quicker then a camry specialy if you have 5sp like my self.Now the difference in performance between a 99 and a 2000 is little, but a slight edge will go to the 2000 with exeption to a 95 Max the 2000 is the quickest yet.If I was choosing between a 99 or 2000 I would definetly go with the 2000.I feel this way because you get the new look which means it will hold it's value much better in the long run and people would not confuse your car with say a 95 Max but rather it will look like a 2002 if you know what I mean.Good luck.

Thanks for any info!
Al
Old 10-31-2000, 12:35 PM
My 4DSC

i agree...5-speed IS the way to go...BUT...

how DARE you put regular gas in your Max!!!!!
I know i'm prolly wasting my money...
but I only put Sunoco ULTRA 94 octane in my baby.
Then again...
i do run 14's STOCK...so maybe its not a waste.

PS: stick vs stick...5th gens are quicker.
(Anyone beat 14.93 w/ a STOCK 4th gen Max?)
auto vs auto...i wouldn't know.

But it all comes down to personal preference.

Old 10-31-2000, 12:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: i agree...5-speed IS the way to go...BUT...

Originally posted by My 4DSC
how DARE you put regular gas in your Max!!!!!
I know i'm prolly wasting my money...
but I only put Sunoco ULTRA 94 octane in my baby.
Then again...
i do run 14's STOCK...so maybe its not a waste.

PS: stick vs stick...5th gens are quicker.
(Anyone beat 14.93 w/ a STOCK 4th gen Max?)
auto vs auto...i wouldn't know.

But it all comes down to personal preference.
Old 10-31-2000, 01:51 PM

I think it all comes down to the individual ride. I drove a 1998, 1999 and 2000 before settling on the 1998; the 2000 was too expensive and I liked the 1998 better than the 1999 (again, price was a settling factor).

The Max was built to last, provided you treat it right, with regular oil changes and premium (91) gas. I just hit 60,000 km and you'd never know it wasn't just off the lot.

As for premium vs. cheap gas, I believe the conventional logic is that since the engine computer automatically compensates for the poorer octane and gives the car less efficient performance, resulting in burning more gas to achieve the standard performance, thus you go through it quicker, and refill more often. So you're spending the same amount, just refilling more often and putting crappier stuff through your engine.

- Andrew
Old 10-31-2000, 01:56 PM

Gas makes a difference unless it is VTec

Huge difference from my 95GLE Auto, from 87 Octane compared to 93 Octane, but Sunoco 94 is the best ever, for real. I always used Shell since they give free automatic car wash after 8 gal min. I was visiting my cus for a wedding and traveled over 400miles to upstate NY on I 90 West and all the rest stop had were mostly SUNOCO, and I tried the 94, and damn, my Max was alive again, big difference from Shell's 93, which is their highest.
Old 10-31-2000, 02:18 PM
skinny2

Another question or two

I'm definetely getting an auto. Wife won't drive a manual and she is going to be driving it alot more than myself.

Is the V6 an interference engine? In other words, if the timing belt breaks does the engine self destruct? If so, what's the recommended belt change?

How bad of a difference in mpg do you see going with 87 octane over the top shelf? I've seen very little diff. in the Camry (less than 1mpg) so it pays to use the cheapo IMHO. I'm not running it at the track either, so 1/2 second won't lose the kitty

Thanks again for the opinions!
Al

Old 10-31-2000, 02:31 PM
The missing moderator

Re: Another question or two

4th and 5th gen maximas don't use timing belts, so you do'nt have to worry baout it breaking. And no, I don't think it's an interference engine.

The reason for running 93 is NOT about PERFORMANCE... (I think I'll FAQ this). Maxima is a relatively high compression motor. at some 10:1, the 90+ is meant as a protection against detonation... Sure you have knock sensors that will cut back timing when it sense knock. But fact is that couple of knock/ping/detonation already occured. keep in mind that detonation is a cumulative effect, meaning it adds up. Over time your engine will wear faster. Not to mention, you get a good one in there... bye bye motor. This is especially critical if you live in a warmer climate. Yes it's possible that using 87 won't cause any problem 99% of the time, but remember it only takes one good one and your motor is toast.

Now some people may feel a performance difference when they "switch" to 93. This is because there's no knocking and the engine could proceed to allow the intended timing thus "increasing" performance. So, is the $2.50 a tank you save enough for you to risk that $2000 motor?

-Shing

I'm definetely getting an auto. Wife won't drive a manual and she is going to be driving it alot more than myself.

Is the V6 an interference engine? In other words, if the timing belt breaks does the engine self destruct? If so, what's the recommended belt change?

How bad of a difference in mpg do you see going with 87 octane over the top shelf? I've seen very little diff. in the Camry (less than 1mpg) so it pays to use the cheapo IMHO. I'm not running it at the track either, so 1/2 second won't lose the kitty

Al
Old 10-31-2000, 04:06 PM

Re: Re: Another question or two

Originally posted by Shingles
I think I'll FAQ this
Yes Shing. Please FAQ this!!!! This question is asked all the time, on this board and others.

Thanx

Old 11-01-2000, 12:53 AM

Re: Re: Another question or two

Originally posted by Shingles
4th and 5th gen maximas don't use timing belts, so you do'nt have to worry baout it breaking. And no, I don't think it's an interference engine.

The reason for running 93 is NOT about PERFORMANCE... (I think I'll FAQ this). Maxima is a relatively high compression motor. at some 10:1, the 90+ is meant as a protection against detonation... Sure you have knock sensors that will cut back timing when it sense knock. But fact is that couple of knock/ping/detonation already occured. keep in mind that detonation is a cumulative effect, meaning it adds up. Over time your engine will wear faster. Not to mention, you get a good one in there... bye bye motor. This is especially critical if you live in a warmer climate. Yes it's possible that using 87 won't cause any problem 99% of the time, but remember it only takes one good one and your motor is toast.

Now some people may feel a performance difference when they "switch" to 93. This is because there's no knocking and the engine could proceed to allow the intended timing thus "increasing" performance. So, is the $2.50 a tank you save enough for you to risk that $2000 motor?

-Shing

Al
hey shing i have a question for ya.. how about octane boosters? and the 114 octane at the strips? how do those help? or is it the same concept as no knocking?
Old 11-01-2000, 06:46 AM

Al-- Camry Vs. 4th gen Max

Al,

I have had both a 93 Cmary V6 and also a 97 Maxima GLE...and here is what I found between the two and my comments on the 5th generation. Personally, to start off, I love the 4th generation--especially the 7-99 ones. The 2000 is just a little --too "radical" for me. As for the quality--I have found that I like the Nissans more and here is why. I find the egronomics in the cabin is excellent in the Nissan, while the toyota is not bad--it is not as nicely done, and lacks that "cockpit" feeling where all the controls are easily displayed and can be accessed. As for the engine--the VQ--but the transmission and the power delivery of the tranny--that goes to the toyota--it is just smoother and power delivery is even--and lacks that jerky feeling when you step on the gas hard. Overall, I'd go with a 4 generation Maxima--and I have to say it is not only a family hauler, it is a car with personality--even though the Nissan service can be improved upon. And yes, you should use 93 octane--I have had the toyota knock on me when I have used 87--
hope this critique helps
=) Brian

Thanks for any info!
Al