General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What will upgrading the radiator cap to a 1.3 bar do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 05:13 PM

What will upgrading the radiator cap to a 1.3 bar do?

I have heard that for forced induction cars it is a good idea, I ordered one b/c its cheap, but what exactly does it do, I feel stupid asking this question after I already bought it, but for 8.00 I don't think it's that bad? Thanks
Old 10-08-2001, 05:41 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

The theory:

A higher rated cap will sustain a higher overall cooling system pressure. As we all learned in thermodynamics class, if you raise the pressure of liquid water, you raise the boiling point. If you raise the boiling point, you raise the specific heat. This means the water can hold more energy before boiling. This means that the cooling system can carry more heat away from your engine (a good thing).

But, you need to make sure the rest of your cooling system can hold the pressure. But, I think you would have to be running some really high HP levels to put out the kind of thermal load that would require more cooling system pressure to keep up.
Old 10-08-2001, 06:34 PM

Actually, raising the capacity of the cooling system (boiling point) does not necessarily increase the efficiency of the system. Just because a higher pressure cap will raise BP from 240 to 250 degrees F, doesn't mean the system will "transfer more heat" away from the engine.

I think unless your current cooling system is experiencing problems, stick with the stock cap and save the $5. Also, running the cooling system at a higher pressure may cause it to fail prematurely. I've never heard of cooling problems in Maximas on this BBS.
Old 10-08-2001, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
The theory:

A higher rated cap will sustain a higher overall cooling system pressure. As we all learned in thermodynamics class, if you raise the pressure of liquid water, you raise the boiling point. If you raise the boiling point, you raise the specific heat. This means the water can hold more energy before boiling. This means that the cooling system can carry more heat away from your engine (a good thing).

But, you need to make sure the rest of your cooling system can hold the pressure. But, I think you would have to be running some really high HP levels to put out the kind of thermal load that would require more cooling system pressure to keep up.

Are you sure that raising the BP also raises the specific heat?? I know that due to colligative properties, there are phenomena such as boiling point elevation and freezing point depression, but I'm not sure that affects specific heat, which is the amount of energy needed to raise 1cc of liquid by 1C.