General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

differenc between camber and toe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000 | 07:17 PM

For the life of me, i can't find anywhere where it will clearly state the difference between camber and toe. I know camber it the tires position to the ground but then whats toe, cuz i thought it to was its postion to the ground. Can someone explain, i know camber is not adjustable on max's. thanks.
Old 10-31-2000 | 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Gotrice4
For the life of me, i can't find anywhere where it will clearly state the difference between camber and toe. I know camber it the tires position to the ground but then whats toe, cuz i thought it to was its postion to the ground. Can someone explain, i know camber is not adjustable on max's. thanks.
toe.. if you lie on the ground, in front of the car, looking straight at the tire (you see the width of the tire).. toe out will have the wheel/tire pointed to your right. Toe in will have the wheel/tire pointed to your left. it's hard to explain in writing.

if you have negative camber, the inner tire tread will be in more contact of the road than the outer tire tread. look at any lowered Honda and you'll see what negative camber looks like..
Old 10-31-2000 | 07:57 PM
Kato

From what I understand

Looking at a car's tires from the front of the car, this is what extreme positive and negative camber looks like:

positive camber:__(passenger side tire)__\---/__(driver's side tire)
negative camber: ____________________/---\_________________

Toe is somewhat similar, but imagine looking down at a car from directly above it:

toe in:___(driver's side tire)_/---\__(passenger side tire)
toe out:_________________\---/__________________

Underscores (_) and hyphens were used to keep spacing and it may be difficult to see, but hopefully you get the idea. Shingles or many of the more knowledgeable members could prolly give you a more technical explanation
Old 11-01-2000 | 03:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That's exactly what it looks like, Kato.
Old 11-01-2000 | 03:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Camber is where your tire is angled in and out at the top and bottom. Like if your tire was just riding on the inner sidewall on both sides, you would have extreme negative camber. Imagine that the top of your tire is tilted in. Looking at it from the front of the car, like your head is about to get hit by the front bumper, the tires would look like this for negative camber: /===\
and like this for positive camber: \===/
The \ and / are representing the wheels and the === represnts the bumper your heads about to hit.

Toe is where your tires are pointed inward. If you've even been skiing, toe in is basically like plowing the skis. Toe out is where you do the splits. Looking at it from above, like a bird thats about to take a crap on your freshly washed Max, toe in would look like this: /ooo\
and toe out would look like this: \ooo/

Again, the \ and / represent the wheels and the ooo represents the hood of your car.

Just thought I'd explain Kato's explanation again in case you didn't get it.