General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

how to shut off airbag light...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000 | 07:19 PM

i've been thinking of changing the steering wheel to a momo unit, but have been thinking if i take off the airbag equipted steering wheel, won't that cause the airbag light to come on? if so, how would i shut it off and keep it off with out the air bag in. any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2000 | 07:30 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i remember saying doing that is def illegal..but anyways...
if there's no airbag there there the light will be on. you can either take out the bulb or figure out the wiring and turn it off.
Dan

Originally posted by Gotrice4
i've been thinking of changing the steering wheel to a momo unit, but have been thinking if i take off the airbag equipted steering wheel, won't that cause the airbag light to come on? if so, how would i shut it off and keep it off with out the air bag in. any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2000 | 11:13 PM
mrloyd

pretty sure you are allowed to take it out since some people get killed by them, use to be illegal, but don't think so anymore. Just pull the gauge cover off and pull out the bulb.
Old 10-31-2000 | 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Gotrice4

The old fashioned way: a piece of black electrical tape to cover the light.

I dunno...a sports steering wheel is cool, but it's not worth losing the protection of the airbag, in my opinion. And don't go on about how airbags are unsafe. They only kill if you sit like 6" away from the steering wheel or if you are not using your seatbelt.
Old 11-01-2000 | 12:14 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

I hate airbags. When i crashed in my Honda, we hit and flipped and rolled. I walked away from the accident without a scratch. Except the airbag deployed and i got burns, bruises and cuts from it. If i didnt have airbag.....
Like ABS, suppose to be safer, but tests and stastics show that vehicles with ABS arent much safer then cars without ABS. i think this is due mostly to drivers not using it correctly tho. With a good driver, non ABS cars stop faster then ABS cars.
Old 11-01-2000 | 05:55 AM

Hey Turbo

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
I hate airbags. When i crashed in my Honda, we hit and flipped and rolled. I walked away from the accident without a scratch. Except the airbag deployed and i got burns, bruises and cuts from it. If i didnt have airbag.....
Like ABS, suppose to be safer, but tests and stastics show that vehicles with ABS arent much safer then cars without ABS. i think this is due mostly to drivers not using it correctly tho. With a good driver, non ABS cars stop faster then ABS cars.
I completely agree with ya! Everytime I get in my Max, I look at the steering wheel and think how messed up I will get if that bag aver came out. I just dont like them..............