General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

okay folks, i have $2000.00 to spend, what is it gonna be??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by theblue
i was thinking you could do most of conversion on the front yourself then just pay for paint. No idea how much for the headlights. M5 is cool also... but its just nice to take something from you own family (nissan) when you are going custom
This is OT.
but u spell Tornoto wrong, its Toronto!
Old 10-14-2001, 09:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: okay folks, i have $2000.00 to spend, what is it gonna be??

bigdog: i cant find a motorized flip out tv for a good price yet.. i am looking into a pioneer p7000 knock off.. if i just get screens there will be no graphics or images unless i hook em up to a DVD/VCR..
Hit me up, I have an Alpine CVA-1005 in mint condition for sale for $700. It works perfectly.

Anton

sweetsound2001@hotmail.com
Old 10-14-2001, 09:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

anton: i am looking into a TV tomorrow.. but if it doesnt fall through expect an email from me..

jeff: what are you talking about.. always stealing my ideas..!!

that max with the skyline's all around is nice.. not my style tho..
Old 10-15-2001, 12:03 PM

Old 10-15-2001, 02:49 PM

ok lets try and make this list a mix of both looks and performance...

performance
vb mod
tranny cooler
udp
torque converter
big brake kit maybe?

looks
body kit(mix bet. stillen and sarona)
z3 side flares

also remember that you might need some dough for installation. that should take care of 2 g's nicely
Old 10-15-2001, 03:41 PM

you are telling me to buy parts of a kit i already had and buy parts of a kit that doesn't fit and cracks after 1 week?? Cuz that sums up my situation with Stillen and others with Sarona..

As far as performance.. UPD wouldn't do much for an auto.. but the vb and torque converter would..

big brake kit- i am looking into some Porsche 911 13.3 Brembo's...
Old 10-16-2001, 05:30 AM

You know that I'm more performance oriented than appearance oriented, since you've seen my car. Having said that:

$2k is almost enough for a used V1 SC. V1 kits are not crappy. If I were you, I'd sit on it until another V1 came up for sale. They usually go for around $2500 complete. You'll be glad you did. My friend's shop in Plainfield can do the install for you...I can check with him on pricing if you'd like. IMO, nothing else will compare to the difference a SC makes. I would go for Don's VB mod before the SC though...if you're itching to buy something now.

You'll want a brake upgrade once you have a SC, since the roads get shorter. Wheels are secondary to springs and struts, IMO. Many guys spend a fortune on wheels and then tires to fit them. These are usually the first things that get stolen. I'm pretty happy with my 16" OZ's. The ride isn't too harsh, I've got a huge selection of reasonably priced tires to choose from and I don't worry about cracking a rim on a pothole.

As far as TV's and stereo stuff, I could take 'em or leave 'em. I'm only now considering replacing my stock non-Bose stereo and only because I want to be able to play MP3 songs in my car.

Jim
Old 10-16-2001, 08:26 AM

thanks for the info and the suggestion jim.. don't i have to have a vb mod and a tranny cooler, on top of a few other things so that the engine can handle the boost.. so i am looking at 2500 + 500 + install?

can't wait to take another ride in your car whenever i come home, miss you jersey guys.. no one here in northern FL...

I am talking with an car stereo installer tomorrow morning, if he can get me a sweet deal on an install of 2 JL 12's, 2 Alpine V12's, Pioneer AVX-P7000 TV/CD player, PS2, and my air tank and compressor then i think i will go that route... only b/c i am thinking that i already have 18's now and going fast would take a lot of work.. plus i am going to lose a lot of handling.
Old 10-16-2001, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by thebigsadler
thanks for the info and the suggestion jim.. don't i have to have a vb mod and a tranny cooler, on top of a few other things so that the engine can handle the boost.. so i am looking at 2500 + 500 + install?

can't wait to take another ride in your car whenever i come home, miss you jersey guys.. no one here in northern FL...

I am talking with an car stereo installer tomorrow morning, if he can get me a sweet deal on an install of 2 JL 12's, 2 Alpine V12's, Pioneer AVX-P7000 TV/CD player, PS2, and my air tank and compressor then i think i will go that route... only b/c i am thinking that i already have 18's now and going fast would take a lot of work.. plus i am going to lose a lot of handling.

It sounds like you've made up your mind and just want a killer stereo system which is cool...I'm tempted to do the same lately.

However, to answer your question it not required but is a REALLY GOOD IDEA to install the VB mod and trans cooler with a SC so you can avoid the $3600 cost of a new tranny (trust me on this one). Even if you don't eventually go SC'd, you will enjoy benefits from the VB and cooler. It squeezes more response out of the tranny AND extends it's life. Plus you can get them now and stretch out your total cash outlay.

I don't know what 'other things' you'd need. The engine doesn't really need anything to 'handle the boost' as you say since the tranny is the weak link in the chain. VB and cooler takes care of that. I should've done them long before I went SC'd.

Sorry for the length of the post! Be sure to let us know when you come up for a visit. We'll try to schedule another mini-meet or something. I'll give you a real SC ride on a nearby highway. We can go Mustang hunting. Stealth/3000GT hunting is also fun. BMW, Mitsu, etc. etc....

Jim
Old 10-16-2001, 09:29 AM

Sounds good jim, i know i want to boost sometime, that may be my next project next summer.. either V1 or turbo if adam can get that up and running.. i think i will probably get the VBmod and tranny cooler soon, once i get some money from working or maybe xmas time..

I am coming home dec14.. and ill be home for 3 weeks, so could schedule something after xmas.. like first week of january or early dec, like 16-20... anytime will be good, you guys wont be mad if i show up in the BMW 330i will you?? haha
Old 10-16-2001, 10:01 AM

speaking of sponsorships...any max's on the org sponsored by anyone??
Old 10-16-2001, 10:05 AM
is invisible

Re: okay folks, i have $2000.00 to spend, what is it gonna be??

$1000 to stereo and the other to RSB, VB Mod/tranny cooler, and a torque converter?
I have so many ideas, what do you guys think, any suggestions that don't involve being a smart @$$ would be nice...???

thanks - jason
I'd split it...or buy some dubs.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:08 AM

I am.

Originally posted by Pmp-n8a
speaking of sponsorships...any max's on the org sponsored by anyone??
Old 10-16-2001, 02:03 PM

coolmax- i have racing hart 18" M5's.

i think shadow is one of the few sponsored maxima's.. maybe ming??

i am ...getting sponsored... with all this stuff i hope to grab a few sponsors
Old 10-16-2001, 02:49 PM

blingedmax is sponsered, he has tons of ish on his car
Old 10-16-2001, 03:03 PM

Sponsership isn't all it's cracked up to be...I was offered a full sponsership but turned it down.
Old 10-16-2001, 03:24 PM

what constitutes a "full sponsorship" and why would you turn it down?
Old 10-16-2001, 03:59 PM

what constitutes a "full sponsorship" and why would you turn it down?
Overall it's getting free parts...the company just gives them to you and there yours. In some cases but not many they may even pay to have the pieces installed. The reason they would give them to you is cuz they like something about your car and feel like it would draw attention for their company.

I turned it down cuz pretty much you do what they say. You go when and where your told (shows). And if you can't go they take the car to the show. You work by there schedule. this is not always the case but tends to be the way it is. I'm just not gonna do what somebody tells me even for 30 g's worth of free stuff.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:00 PM

that's kind of an extreme situation.. i know for a fact jeff (shadow) isn't in obligation to go somewhere or they take his car.. i mean i know they expect you to represent them at shows, but i am sure that you would only take the sponsorship if you could handle the work load..

who wanted to give you 30g's worth of product?
Old 10-16-2001, 06:42 PM

None of my sponsorships involve contracts. They consider me "in the industry" so it's more of a friendly "hey, i'm building this car and I'm wondering if you could help" sort of thing. They know I'm out there at shows anyways, so there's no official contract. My girlfriend has a few contracts with companies though. Luckily, they're not too strict.

that's kind of an extreme situation.. i know for a fact jeff (shadow) isn't in obligation to go somewhere or they take his car.. i mean i know they expect you to represent them at shows, but i am sure that you would only take the sponsorship if you could handle the work load..

who wanted to give you 30g's worth of product?
Old 10-16-2001, 06:46 PM

Does he? I talked to him at NOPI Nats and he asked me how to get sponsored. Maybe I'm wrong. But if he's not sponsored yet, it's probably not going to be too hard. he's done a lot to his car.

Originally posted by RedMax95
blingedmax is sponsered, he has tons of ish on his car
Old 10-16-2001, 07:50 PM

ya, he said it was by razzi or something like that
Old 10-19-2001, 09:50 PM

i am thinking JL amps and custom trunk setup.. i ordered the bags and the tv.. rims are on.. I need to get a 500/1 and a 300/4, then i am gonna do a box like anton (sweetsound2001), where it is sealed off from the trunk and all bass goes into the car..

flush mount the amps to the floor of the car, and have the air tank and compressor in the spare tire well.. the air tank half shown out of the floor..