General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Looks like my car's gonna be out longer- I got screwed by Nissan again

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 10:42 AM

Looks like my car's gonna be out longer- I got screwed by Nissan again

Alright here goes, here is another reason I will never buy a Nissan again. The dealership service and customer care really needs work. Whoever's been following my posts know that I ordered bearings and a "speedometer gear" from my local dealership (Bel Air Nissan, in Maryland). These had to be special ordered since they dont stock them. That was tuesday. They said that it would probably be in by thursday and they would call. Well I got no call, so I went in today (friday). Anyway I picked up the parts, and then walked out the door. Low and behold in the parking lot I opened one of the boxes and it was the wrong part. The "speedometer gear" that I had ordered turns out they got me a speedometer pinion assembly, which is the actual part that sends the signal to the speedo. So needless to say, I walk back in and say "you ordered me the wrong part." What do they tell me? To make a long story short, the service manager comes out and they tell me that they will not take it back and I would have to pay for the new one. There is a sign that says "no returns on specially ordered parts" but- this one was not my fault. Also, I was not asking for money back, I just wanted the correct part and they were both the same price, at US $22.

And then the service chic interjects that when people come in for that part, they usually look for the one I got. My first reply was "if other people come in looking for this part, then you should have no problem taking this part back cause you're gonna resell it and you can tell the next customer you have one in stock." Ontop of that, I told the service manager that my family has purchased 4 cars from them and have given business to both the service department and the body shop. He really knew how to make a customer angry.

They made it sound like it was my fault that the wrong part was ordered which it totally not correct. If I was working on the differential buying new bearings, why the F would I buy the pinion assembly? In addition, on page MT-25 of the FSM, it says to "2)Remove speedometer drive gear by cutting it." If they knew anything about their cars, their own factory service manual says to "cut it off" thus it would need replacement.

I then said "ok fine, since you're not taking this back and getting me the right part, I'm calling my credit card company to suspend payment, I'm calling Nissan Corporate, I'm calling the owner of the dealership, and I'm never going to buy a car from you again." He replys "good, I dont like to deal with rude people" and then goes on to give me more BS about how I was rude to him the last time I was in there for a service issue which was a totally unrelated event from last year. He tries to make it seem like he knew who i was by telling me what town I lived in but he was totally off. I also work in a customer relations type job, and for a $22 part, he should have had no problem getting me the correct part.

So, am I upset? Very. Now I have to travel across the county in order to order parts, or just use Courtesy Nissan. I was so infuriated I had to control myself from doing a massive 1 wheel burnout on my Honda 2 wheeler as I was leaving. Oh my god thats the second time I got extremely ticked at that particular dealership. Over a $20 part that was ordered wrong because of their incompetence then he give me a load of crap about it, and wouldnt even order me the right part. Then they feel they can walk all over me cause I'm a young guy. Needless to say, when I got home, I immediately filed a complaint with Nissan Corporate and then called American Express. I'm gonna send a letter to the owner of the dealership as well. Some people these days, unbelieveable. So now I gotta wait until probaly middle of next week to even begin my differential job.
Old 10-19-2001, 10:55 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Wow that suck! I'm glad Ive never had to take my car in for anything, but I have had problems at other dealers for other peoples cars. I don't know what the attitude problem is, but they sure need to lose it!
Old 10-19-2001, 11:07 AM

Damn, report these guys in the "Dealership and Shop Experiences" forum. It's too bad really, becuase most of the people I have talked to at Nissan dealerships have been really nice. I guess it's different if you have to return something.....

Old 10-19-2001, 11:16 AM

Man, that really sucks. My dealership always does gay stuff like that too.
Old 10-19-2001, 11:23 AM

Hmm, too bad about that experience. I am sure others might have had bad experiences with Nissan. I hear the same thing about Audi, VW, Acura, etc. There are always goods and bads around. For me my 99 SE has been trouble-free except for the key needing reprogramming.
The dealers has been reasonable. They might not give loaner cars, or treat me like I am king but everything has been good. I also had good experiences with my previous Toyotas.

To say you never buy another Nissan might be premature. Lot of people are very happy with the cars, and satisfy with the service.
If you look at the TL-S forum lot of people say the dealers are bad, and the problems with rotors, tranny, squeak, rattles. I am sure we get issues with our Maximas but definitely not as frequent. Lot of people in the CLS and TLS forum call their cars POS. Then again, many love their car even with some build quality issues.

To give up is like saying you will never date REDHEADS again because they are too wild?!?
Old 10-19-2001, 12:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

don't even get me started on the dealerships. Never go to any of them in NJ, if you live there, travel somewhere else. I got charged $1000 to have my AC wires replaced and they didnt even fix the problem, they in fact put the wrong wires back in the pin head. When I took my car in for 30K service, at a DIFFERENT dealership, they left my car out in the rain with the sunroof open. Then they said they needed to keep my car overnight to clean it out, and they couldnt give me a loaner because I was 19. I hate nissan dealerships with a passion.

Luckily I found a decent one here in Florida, but it still sucks, cuz you always have to wait and they want your car there for like 2 days.. unreal.

Best of luck to you
Old 10-19-2001, 12:23 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Wow...that dealership sucks ->

I had ordered the wrong part by own my mistake from Vester Nissan in N.C. and Town North nissan in Austin Texas. Both were special order and they took it back no question asked. To minized getting the wrong part at you local dealership, go behind the counter and point out the part you need on the screen for them. They have no idea what part you need when you even use the correct term out of the FSM.
Old 10-19-2001, 12:41 PM

Re: Looks like my car's gonna be out longer- I got screwed by Nissan again

Originally posted by ericdwong
Alright here goes, here is another reason I will never buy a Nissan again. The dealership service and customer care really needs work. Whoever's been following my posts know that I ordered bearings and a "speedometer gear" from my local dealership (Bel Air Nissan, in Maryland). These had to be special ordered since they dont stock them. That was tuesday. They said that it would probably be in by thursday and they would call. Well I got no call, so I went in today (friday). Anyway I picked up the parts, and then walked out the door. Low and behold in the parking lot I opened one of the boxes and it was the wrong part. The "speedometer gear" that I had ordered turns out they got me a speedometer pinion assembly, which is the actual part that sends the signal to the speedo. So needless to say, I walk back in and say "you ordered me the wrong part." What do they tell me? To make a long story short, the service manager comes out and they tell me that they will not take it back and I would have to pay for the new one. There is a sign that says "no returns on specially ordered parts" but- this one was not my fault. Also, I was not asking for money back, I just wanted the correct part and they were both the same price, at US $22.

And then the service chic interjects that when people come in for that part, they usually look for the one I got. My first reply was "if other people come in looking for this part, then you should have no problem taking this part back cause you're gonna resell it and you can tell the next customer you have one in stock." Ontop of that, I told the service manager that my family has purchased 4 cars from them and have given business to both the service department and the body shop. He really knew how to make a customer angry.

They made it sound like it was my fault that the wrong part was ordered which it totally not correct. If I was working on the differential buying new bearings, why the F would I buy the pinion assembly? In addition, on page MT-25 of the FSM, it says to "2)Remove speedometer drive gear by cutting it." If they knew anything about their cars, their own factory service manual says to "cut it off" thus it would need replacement.

I then said "ok fine, since you're not taking this back and getting me the right part, I'm calling my credit card company to suspend payment, I'm calling Nissan Corporate, I'm calling the owner of the dealership, and I'm never going to buy a car from you again." He replys "good, I dont like to deal with rude people" and then goes on to give me more BS about how I was rude to him the last time I was in there for a service issue which was a totally unrelated event from last year. He tries to make it seem like he knew who i was by telling me what town I lived in but he was totally off. I also work in a customer relations type job, and for a $22 part, he should have had no problem getting me the correct part.

So, am I upset? Very. Now I have to travel across the county in order to order parts, or just use Courtesy Nissan. I was so infuriated I had to control myself from doing a massive 1 wheel burnout on my Honda 2 wheeler as I was leaving. Oh my god thats the second time I got extremely ticked at that particular dealership. Over a $20 part that was ordered wrong because of their incompetence then he give me a load of crap about it, and wouldnt even order me the right part. Then they feel they can walk all over me cause I'm a young guy. Needless to say, when I got home, I immediately filed a complaint with Nissan Corporate and then called American Express. I'm gonna send a letter to the owner of the dealership as well. Some people these days, unbelieveable. So now I gotta wait until probaly middle of next week to even begin my differential job.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. So far, I haven't had to bring my car in for anything so I don't have any stories to talk about. One solution though: sell your nissan and get a Mercedes. Service and quality with most dealerships are outstanding. That will be my next car. Good luck.

Shadou
Old 10-19-2001, 01:57 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

ericdwong = future Minima Club of America member

Yet another satisifed Nissan customer.
Old 10-19-2001, 01:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would go their at night and let the air out of the tires on all of the cars in the lot.
Old 10-19-2001, 02:20 PM

I have been very disappointed with Nissan Dealers too. When buying my car, they tried to scam me from our verbally agreed deal at almost every possible point. Getting quality service has also been an ordeal. Luckily, parts that I had special-ordered have been filled correctly although it took way longer than what I had wanted or was told.

Although your situation is very frustrating, I'm wondering if the blame should be put completely on the dealer. When special ordering in particular, customers often come in and just describe parts they want. It can be difficult for the dealer to know exactly what is being asked for. The dealer in my area has a fancy computer program which shows a visual of the part in question, so that makes special ordering a little better. My question is, when you first ordered the part, I'm assuming in person, did you go through that software with the parts person? Was the part description accurate on the order receipt? If the description does not correspond to the incorrect part that was received, then you definitely have a case.
Old 10-19-2001, 02:34 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: Looks like my car's gonna be out longer- I got screwed by Nissan again

How is what you did last yr not relevant? they obviously remembered you because of the other events. raising your voice to them or getting ****ed will not help either.
Old 10-19-2001, 03:15 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

So how much did Courtesy charge you?

I had one local Nissan dealership try to charge me over $8 for a $.88 screw (Courtesy price) and another dealer tried to charge me $1.75 and wouldn't order it unless I came in and paid for it (wouldn't take a cc over the phone).
Old 10-19-2001, 03:36 PM

Sell your car, buy a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus

They will kiss your *** and buy you lunch, no more long posts about Nissan crappiness.
Old 10-19-2001, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

Although your situation is very frustrating, I'm wondering if the blame should be put completely on the dealer. When special ordering in particular, customers often come in and just describe parts they want. It can be difficult for the dealer to know exactly what is being asked for. The dealer in my area has a fancy computer program which shows a visual of the part in question, so that makes special ordering a little better. My question is, when you first ordered the part, I'm assuming in person, did you go through that software with the parts person? Was the part description accurate on the order receipt? If the description does not correspond to the incorrect part that was received, then you definitely have a case.
Yea I know what you mean, infact when I called up Nissan Corporate I said "this is probably not 100% of their fault, but it is certainly not 100% of mine". In any case, yes I did have the visual chart infront of me, the bearings were correct, however I said "speedometer gear". But either way, they should have no problem getting me the right part considering the part is only $20 and they're mostly to blame. The receipt says "speedometer pinion gear" which could correspond to the part that I actually need, but didnt.
Old 10-19-2001, 04:23 PM
RussMaxManiac

I would have liked to see this arguement in person. Because I think you were not nice from the beginning which gives them the right to give you a hard time and not help you. There is such a thing as being NICE, 1st, then if they do not help, you then become mean. All your posts, you have shown anger against NISSAN. Personally I am sure you are the one at fault for all this, and this is what I am getting out of all your posts.

Old 10-19-2001, 04:47 PM

you are a d!ck russ.

how could it possibly be his fault?? nissan is not perfect, actually they suck. especially compared to infiniti, acura, audi, benzi, bmw.. my mom has a brandy new 2k2 330i and any problems she has, they pamper her and offer her a loaner for like 20 minute wait. Never a diagnostic fee.. it's unreal how crappy nissan is.

PERSONALLY, i think it is in no way his fault, unless he has a lisp, stutters, and a very thick arabian/german/chinese accent.
Old 10-19-2001, 05:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Looks like my car's gonna be out longer- I got screwed by Nissan again

Originally posted by NickStam
How is what you did last yr not relevant? they obviously remembered you because of the other events. raising your voice to them or getting ****ed will not help either.
Ok, if he is going to bring in last year, then he should not ignore the fact that my family has bought FOUR cars from that particular dealership, have had expensive repairs in the body shop as well as the service department. Hell for the amount of $ we've spent there, they should give me all these parts for free.

As for last year, they basically tried charing me $30 for a problem they didnt fix (I was fine with this, this was the diag fee) but then they tried charging $80 for the same problem that they shoulda fixed. As for being rude, he's the one being rude. I hope that place goes outta business.
Old 10-19-2001, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
I would have liked to see this arguement in person. Because I think you were not nice from the beginning which gives them the right to give you a hard time and not help you. There is such a thing as being NICE, 1st, then if they do not help, you then become mean. All your posts, you have shown anger against NISSAN. Personally I am sure you are the one at fault for all this, and this is what I am getting out of all your posts.
Russ, no offense but you are in no position to make any judgements here. I was extremely polite and friendly and even tried cracking jokes. But as soon as the service manager came out, it started to get ugly. He immediately accused it of being my fault and would not take it back. And then he brought up "last year". By the way, the incident of last year my MOTHER was also arguing with me. As many of you know, chinese parents, mom's especially are usually very nice, kind and polite. Fact of the matter is, young people get taken advantage of. Being young, he probably didnt think I had a credit card so that I had a second resort to put the charge in dispute.

So, I ask you, how do you see this being my fault from the beginning huh? I like to know. I really do not see any other way of being nice about it. That is why I had to bust out the threats of calling Corporate as well as suspending payment.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:34 PM

I know how ya feel, happened to me before, but that was a no biggie, hte service guy said I have a VG30DE not a VQ30DE, when I brought the air filter it said VG on it so I said I don't want this and he said I have a VG under the hood and only 2000+ has VQ in it. I don't care because they use the same air filter but I was really upset. I had to control myself not doing a 2 wheel burn out on my honda too when I was picking that up.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:45 PM

LoL, nice story, at least they ordered your part, they never even ordered the leather seats I payed for. I showed them my receipt, and they were like "Uh, we're sorry sir" and all that bs. THey wanted to know if I would still like to order the seats and I just rejected that question and took my money back. I agree, the fools that work at Nissan suck ****.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:45 PM

I have had my share...

To anyone here in Toronto, the Nissan dealership on Young and Steeles, where that little dealership city is (Willowdale Nissan), were real A$$ES to me. They wanted to charge me $1700 for a $500 pain job.
Their service were real pain, and they were rude too.

In fact out of everyone I ever dealt with, chrystler dealers are the nicest, well, but not the cars

They treated me like a kind, Nissan... like dirt!
Old 10-19-2001, 06:48 PM

Re: I have had my share...

Originally posted by Riot^
To anyone here in Toronto, the Nissan dealership on Young and Steeles, where that little dealership city is (Willowdale Nissan), were real A$$ES to me. They wanted to charge me $1700 for a $500 pain job.
Their service were real pain, and they were rude too.

In fact out of everyone I ever dealt with, chrystler dealers are the nicest, well, but not the cars

They treated me like a kind, Nissan... like dirt!
don't go 2 village nissan @ hwy 7 and kennedy, they don't know what engine we have under our car.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:50 PM

Russ, you have a right to your opinion, but not in this thread you ***. Anyway, you're suppose to be supporting .org members, that's what keeps the .org alive.
Old 10-19-2001, 08:46 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Looks like my car's gonna be out longer- I got screwed by Nissan again

Well from reading all your posts so far, that is what I was getting. But now after what you said, I suggest find a 357 magnum and go take care of a few people

Russ, no offense but you are in no position to make any judgements here. I was extremely polite and friendly and even tried cracking jokes. But as soon as the service manager came out, it started to get ugly. He immediately accused it of being my fault and would not take it back. And then he brought up "last year". By the way, the incident of last year my MOTHER was also arguing with me. As many of you know, chinese parents, mom's especially are usually very nice, kind and polite. Fact of the matter is, young people get taken advantage of. Being young, he probably didnt think I had a credit card so that I had a second resort to put the charge in dispute.

So, I ask you, how do you see this being my fault from the beginning huh? I like to know. I really do not see any other way of being nice about it. That is why I had to bust out the threats of calling Corporate as well as suspending payment.

Old 10-19-2001, 09:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks like my car's gonna be out longer- I got screwed by Nissan again

that's one of the funniest things ive heard on the org..
Old 10-19-2001, 09:36 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'll never understand why people keep on going back to bad dealerships. This crap can be said for any dealership that sells any make (Lexus, GM, Nissan, etc). I don't really see how Nissan can be blamed for this problem either. The dealership is a franchise.

Dave
Old 10-19-2001, 09:53 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Dave B
I'll never understand why people keep on going back to bad dealerships. This crap can be said for any dealership that sells any make (Lexus, GM, Nissan, etc). I don't really see how Nissan can be blamed for this problem either. The dealership is a franchise.

Dave
Nissan can control how the dealer treats customers. They can give incentives and/or penalties based on customer response. But, the main problem here is...Nissan doesnt care anyway.
Old 10-19-2001, 11:06 PM
is invisible

What BS, I would have went ballistic!

What's to stop them from ordering a tranny instead of the proper part and charging you for it? They simply cannot admit fault.
Good luck.
Old 10-19-2001, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Yes while this is true in some respects there is some data to back up what I am saying. According to the April 2001 issue of Consumer Reports, on page 6 there is the results of a survey of "how satisfied people were with their buying and leasing experience at different dealerships." True, this was only the sales part and not service or parts or body shop, but the numbers here should show correlation. Who is second from the bottom of the list? You guessed it, NISSAN! Woo hoo! The range of satisfied customers between 48% and 58%, the average at about 53%. Compared to Lexus, which is number 2, its range is 77-84%, averaging at 78%.

True, the dealership is a franchise, but tell me this then, why did the Toyota part of the same dealership treat me well? I've brought my old Camry into their dealership before, and not only do they give free food, a loaner car, THEY DIDNT EVEN CHARGE ME DIAGNOSTIC FEES WHEN THEY COULDNT FIX A PROBLEM! They also wash the car, AND they even made follow up phone calls to be sure that the service was OK. And this is at the same dealership, literally next to each other.
Old 10-20-2001, 10:26 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

True, the dealership is a franchise, but tell me this then, why did the Toyota part of the same dealership treat me well? I've brought my old Camry into their dealership before, and not only do they give free food, a loaner car, THEY DIDNT EVEN CHARGE ME DIAGNOSTIC FEES WHEN THEY COULDNT FIX A PROBLEM! They also wash the car, AND they even made follow up phone calls to be sure that the service was OK. And this is at the same dealership, literally next to each other.
I suggest going over to www.newcelica.org and read about all the people getting screwed over by the dealerships for tranny and motor problems. Many dealers are also denying work on modified cars. Acura RSX owners are running into problems with Acura denying any work on any motor and tranny failures. As you can see, it's not brand specific. I use to own a 94 Z28 and that car went to the dealership numerous times for warranty work. The car was modified and they never asked a question. They always fixed what was wrong. Many would say GM dealerships are crooks, but that's not my experience. My buddies regularly get screwed a Honda dealership here in KC. Marques like Lexus, Benz, Infiniti, etc will always have the best service. You get what you pay for. Expensive car owners get the best treatment.

Dave
Old 10-20-2001, 03:02 PM

that's really a dealer thing

I probably wont ever buy a Nissan again simply because I feel there are too many things that need fixing, warranty or not. Even with the massive discounts I'd rather pay more and be satisfied.

Anyway, I used to go to this dealer where they'd order a part and you'd NEVER hear from them again. If you called back, they'll tell you it's coming any day.

But I found a different dealer that someone mentioned on this board, and it's been ok ever since. they can't make me satisfied if the Nissan car leaves much to be desired, but at least they can eliminate any headaches caused by service. When they replaced my wood dash for the 2nd time, they gave me the pieces that they had leftover from the kit. Unfortunately those pieces they installed are even worse than the original and now it's been over a year 12,000 miles, so that's that (it's as if the coating and the wood have separated). It's really not their fault that Nissan factory parts fail.

You probably can find a better dealer where that wouldn't happen. Think about it, to the dealer that part is about $11. Why the heck would they want a customer to be dissatisfied over $11? That's like being able to solve someone's problem by lifting your little finger but being unwilling to do so. Very petty indeed!!