General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Motor Mount help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:23 AM
kthxbye2u

Motor Mount help

OK...

I know my mounts are bad... because I can feel / hear it. I dont know which one, I think I found 1 of the 3 of them though. The FSM confuses me LH RH wtf?

One is on the cross member, and I cant tell if its bad or not... theres a freakin plate covering it!!!!

How would I know if its a tranny mount or a motor mount that went bad?...
I was thinking of just replacing all of them but... thats way expensive, Ill just replace one at a time
Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Banned

you could just buy after market polyurethane ones and replace. or take them off and fill them with polyurethane yourself...they take a while to dry i think. or inspect them each on the car...i always say if you have to remove/mess with any part of the car you might as well upgrade it...

why do you think one is bad?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:08 AM
kthxbye2u

ill have to pour them since they dont make them

and yes i agree with you on upgrading while you fix...
Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
OK...

I know my mounts are bad... because I can feel / hear it. I dont know which one, I think I found 1 of the 3 of them though. The FSM confuses me LH RH wtf?

One is on the cross member, and I cant tell if its bad or not... theres a freakin plate covering it!!!!

How would I know if its a tranny mount or a motor mount that went bad?...
I was thinking of just replacing all of them but... thats way expensive, Ill just replace one at a time
You should have posted this in 3rd gen.

Your transmission mounts are not covered up with a plate so you should be able to tell if they are broken by visual inspection.

If you hear the "clunk" when you engage the forward gears,then it's most likely your front motor mount.If you only hear it in reverse,then the rear motor mount would be suspect.

Here is a good video to show you what is happening under the hood if your front mount is bad

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MVI_0287.flv

You can test your front mount in the same manor as in the video by setting your parking brake/then slip your clutch in first gear until close to stall while looking under the crack in the hood like in the vid. If you see major movement like in the video,then replace the front motor mount.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:57 PM
kthxbye2u

reverse... iIm getting a rumbling feeling plus a little grinding and popping out of gear

1st is getting worse about popping out of gear... I have to hold it at stop lights now, or Ill get some head turns because I just ground the CRAP out of it lol. Mann is that embarrassing.

And im getting a "SShhhhhh" sound when in N and moving to gears

Down shifting... I dont down shift anymore. That "SShhhh" sound gets WAY louder.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:26 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
reverse... iIm getting a rumbling feeling plus a little grinding and popping out of gear

1st is getting worse about popping out of gear... I have to hold it at stop lights now, or Ill get some head turns because I just ground the CRAP out of it lol. Mann is that embarrassing.

And im getting a "SShhhhhh" sound when in N and moving to gears

Down shifting... I dont down shift anymore. That "SShhhh" sound gets WAY louder.
Sounds like your transmission has a bad input shaft bearing.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:07 PM
kthxbye2u

from having bad motor / tranny mounts? lol

well What ever... I purchased the 3 motor mounts today and Im gonna buy the Tranny mount tomorrow... then fix this ASAP

thanks for your replies