General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help with Alarm/Starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 12:58 PM
DanGilbertTX

Help with Alarm/Starter

I have a 1996 GLE and have been experiencing a few glitches lately. Now when I try and start the car I can turn the key and get nothing. I have plenty of juice, it just won't start. It doesn't even turn over. I know I have an electronic ignition so my choices here are the Alarm has cut in with an ignition kill switch or the starter is gone. Problem is that I have no idea if the stock Alarm on the 96 even has a kill switch, where it is, or how to disable it. So, if anyone could tell me that I would appreciate it.

For more reference, I am able to arm and disarm the security system and it still won't crank. Also, I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and that doesn't seem help. Tonight I am gonna try banging on the starter while cranking it to see if I can jiggle something enough to get it started so I can drive it to a shop. I am trying to avoid towing it if at all possible.

p.s. Yes, I know that technically the ignition doesn't crank. I know that what I am really doing is making contact for the switch. However, when I say cranking everyone knows what I mean. :-)

Old 10-24-2001, 06:44 PM

That is a classic symptom of a bad starter. If you take it off, AutoZone will test it for free. A rebuilt replacement from them is $150.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:39 PM

Just wanted to add that some places are not able to test the starter off of the car so I would check with before pulling it off and bringing it in.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Ravq
Just wanted to add that some places are not able to test the starter off of the car so I would check with before pulling it off and bringing it in.
Go to a major store like Pepboys, TrakAuto, AutoZone...... As long as you go with the larger store in your area, they will be able to test it. Smaller stores, call them first.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:52 AM

Actually this sounds like either a problem with the ignition switch (unlikely), or the starter solenoid. If you get horrible cranking, then the starter has probably broken a tooth or two, but if you get nothing, not even a "click" when you turn the key, then the starter solenoid is probably not engaging.

That's good, since the solenoid is cheaper than the starter.