General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Lowered My Cyliner Compression With Chevron Techron

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 05:09 PM

Lowered My Cyliner Compression With Chevron Techron

Awhile back I did a compression test on my 99 max with ~92k on it and here WERE the numbers reading from left to right starting at the front bank:
#1-205 #2-210 #3-215 #4-220 #5-210 #6-210

At ~94k I took it to the dealer for a charging system problem and they said I have too much carbon deposits and wanted $90 for cleaning. I took sugestions from DBM and others and tried the fuel system cleaner first.

I used a total two bottles of Chevron Techron Concentrate. First one with a tank full of gasoline, skipped one tank, then a second bottle filled with ~12 gallons of gasoline.

Today I redid the compression test, using the same gauge as before, and here are the numbers again reading from left to right starting at the front bank:
#1-202 #2-198 #3-205 #4-198 #5-200 #6-205

The psi numbers definitely lowered overall, still high but I spent a total of ~$12, definitely better than the $90 dealer wanted. Yes I'm a happy man Money well spent indeed!
Old 10-24-2001, 05:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have always used Chevron Techroline exclusively in my Maxima. That stuff rules.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I use it also... I think it helps
Old 10-24-2001, 08:33 PM

WHen

When do you suggest using he ceveron stuff?
Old 10-24-2001, 09:54 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Just my thoughts

Wouldn't the ambient conditions affect a compression reading, if someone did a compression reading at 12pm with the sun blasting and another test at 9pm when the air cooler wouldn't the reading be different. Regardless of how slightly it might be different, there's a possibility the readings would be different. Basically I'm trying to find out were all the variables the same when doing both test, i.e. weather, battery/starter condition, testing methods, etc. Speaking of compression testing, isn't it best to remove all the sparks plugs and keep the throttle plates wide open when doing the test?
Old 10-24-2001, 11:08 PM

Re: Lowered My Cyliner Compression With Chevron Techron

Originally posted by Enduro

The psi numbers definitely lowered overall, still high but I spent a total of ~$12, definitely better than the $90 dealer wanted. Yes I'm a happy man Money well spent indeed!
I though higher psi numbers are better? The more pressure the better the compression ratio is? or do I have it backwards.

Anyways, what should the numbers really be? And how did you test the compression psi in each chamber? With what tool?
Old 10-25-2001, 12:10 AM
STFU n00b!

well higher numbers are better, but only to a point..

when they start to go above factory specs, tha's usually a sign that there's a lot of carbon buildup in the cylinders and on the pistons..

i.e. the carbon deposits are large enough to take up a measureable amount of room inside the combustion chamber, so your compression pressure goes up because of it...

clean the gunk out, and the pressure will go back down some- hopefully back to within factory specs.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:46 AM

Re: Re: Lowered My Cyliner Compression With Chevron Techron

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

I though higher psi numbers are better? The more pressure the better the compression ratio is? or do I have it backwards.

Anyways, what should the numbers really be? And how did you test the compression psi in each chamber? With what tool?

Too high of a compression can cause detonation, or ignition of the gasoline from pressure alone, not from the spark of the spark plug. Hence, it is best to maintain as close to factory compression as possible.

I've tried many different fuel injector cleaners, and I must say Chevron Techron concentrate is the only one I've had success with. Good to see others have it working for them too.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Lowered My Cyliner Compression With Chevron Techron

Originally posted by Eric L.

Too high of a compression can cause detonation, or ignition of the gasoline from pressure alone, not from the spark of the spark plug. Hence, it is best to maintain as close to factory compression as possible.

I've tried many different fuel injector cleaners, and I must say Chevron Techron concentrate is the only one I've had success with. Good to see others have it working for them too.
When would you say is the best time to use this cleaner, I mean I know I dont need it now since I got a tad over 4k miles on my car now. But just wondering
Old 10-25-2001, 05:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lowered My Cyliner Compression With Chevron Techron

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

When would you say is the best time to use this cleaner, I mean I know I dont need it now since I got a tad over 4k miles on my car now. But just wondering
If you want to use it then wait til your car has at least over 10k miles and use just a bottle or two once a year. Then again I don't see the point of using it unless you suspect build up of carbon deposits. If you use low-grade/quality gasoline and just want an extra cleaner now and then, then I think Chevron has a less concentrate bottle for that purpose.

High compression is good for power only if that's how it was designed from factory or produced in a controlled manner, ex...forced induction, but definitely not from left over gunk from the combustion process.