General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima Z Edition

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:31 PM

66K?!

Looks like Walmart rolled this one back too far.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Year purchased 1995 2004 2005
Type of owner Corporate lease Personal ---
Estimated length of ownership 8 yrs. 8 mo. 1 yr. 2 mo. 2 years
Owned in the following states/provinces Florida Florida Florida
Estimated miles driven per year 2,190/yr --- ---
Last reported odometer reading 7,153 40,296 ---
Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 AM

I stand corrected
Old 12-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^ As do I
Old 12-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The term 'Z' engine with respect to the Maxima began with introduction of the 1985 generation 2, at which time the engine previously only used in the 'Z' was turned sideways and jammed into the Maxima's engine compartment. This was advertised as 'transverse fit'. It was a very tight fit, and jammed the oil filter up against the firewall, where mechanics and self-servicers both burned themselves on the exahust system trying to reach it from below. This engine was paired with the first front wheel drive system to be used in the Maxima.

The 'Z' engine reference was a huge selling point for the '85 Maxima (I bought TWO of them), and was used heavily in Nissan promotions until the generation 3 ('89) arrived, at which point Nissan scaled back on the 'Z' engine references

By the time generation 4 (the '96 SE for sale on ebay) rolled around, the term 'Z' engine was no longer generally used when discussing the Maxima, as that was the 12th year with exactly that same status.

Unless the car on ebay has a generous supply of drugs or drug money hidden somewhere on the car, or an exceptionally endowed person of the opposite sex hidden in the trunk, I see nothing that would indicate 'rarity'.

01_blue_max - The Maxima was made only in Japan until the '04s becan rolling off the Smyrna assembly line in late January 2003.

SilMax00 - My 2000 SE was equipped with every available accessory (I added the 'GXE Package', which added everything available on the GLE), and the TCS system was simply called 'TCS System' in all documentation, including on the window sticker, which I have in front of me as I type. The TCS was an option on the SE and GLE, but not available on the GXE. There is no capitalized 'Z' anywhere on the sticker. I don't believe there was anything called the 'Z' option available on the 5th generation.
Actually Nissan called the Maxima TCS "Z® Edition Traction Control System (TCS)". They did this to hold on to the Z trademark since the Z wasn't built at the time. It was also listed in the brochure.

http://www.nissannews.com/site_libra...ma/index.shtml
"The Maxima's "cut above" performance is reinforced by standard 4-wheel disc brakes with 4-channel/4-sensor Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), refined engine-speed-sensitive power rack-and-pinion steering and an available Z® Edition Traction Control System (TCS)."
Old 01-06-2008, 08:08 PM

well it might not be a rare edition like they say but it is in really good shape. and only 65k that is good in it self
Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by A17Z
Actually Nissan called the Maxima TCS "Z® Edition Traction Control System (TCS)". They did this to hold on to the Z trademark since the Z wasn't built at the time. It was also listed in the brochure.

http://www.nissannews.com/site_libra...ma/index.shtml
"The Maxima's "cut above" performance is reinforced by standard 4-wheel disc brakes with 4-channel/4-sensor Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), refined engine-speed-sensitive power rack-and-pinion steering and an available Z® Edition Traction Control System (TCS)."
that all may be true, but when asked, the guy responded

" Z edition has 5 speed transmission and a 3000 v6 instead of a i think it is 2600 v6, a little more power and made in Japan. "

i'm pretty sure he had no idea about what u mentioned.