General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is lowering your car worth the trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 06:38 AM

Is lowering your car worth the trouble?

I know since i now have body kit on my car it really needs to be lowered to balance out the look. However, i have heard from a number of mechanics and people who love cars that it would not be worth it at all. The gains are so minumum handling wise and some people say that it will be worse handling cause ur car is not set at the proper handling effiency. (I understand that you are lowering the center of gravity but does 1.5 inches really make a diference?)Also i heard that the alignment will not be the same and the overall driving feel will be poor. Another thing that has me worried is the raddling noise that is heard when you hit a bump. Can anyone confirm what i have been hearing, and help me with the decision of it is worth the money and what i gain after. Also i do not want much of a drop so what would be the best combo of springs and struts.
Old 10-25-2001, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Minimum?

pick me up off the floor..

you ask any of my friends who i usually drive with in groups about the difference between the handling of my car and theirs..

going around a corner at 110 - 120 .. no movement.. the car just sits there.. stable..

I was able to beat an M Coupe around corners.. my cousin in his GS 400 won't race me on the merritt parkway in CT ..

any idiot who told you that the handling is minimal is as i said.. an idiot..

the only draw back from lowering is the ride quality is decreased.. and if you have H&R's thats the total opposite.. the ride quaility is much nicer and comfortable over stock supension..

and the looks of a lower max is just remarkable..

i would say my ride quality is not all that due to the 2 inch drop.. but hey.. i got used to it
Old 10-25-2001, 07:30 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by SprintMax

and the looks of a lower max is just remarkable..

c'mon u know u like the 4X4 look on the 4th gens!
Old 10-25-2001, 07:38 AM

It's DEFINITELY worth it. As the mechanic what he means by this.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Is lowering your car worth the trouble?

Originally posted by MAXEJA
I know since i now have body kit on my car it really needs to be lowered to balance out the look. However, i have heard from a number of mechanics and people who love cars that it would not be worth it at all. The gains are so minumum handling wise and some people say that it will be worse handling cause ur car is not set at the proper handling effiency. (I understand that you are lowering the center of gravity but does 1.5 inches really make a diference?)Also i heard that the alignment will not be the same and the overall driving feel will be poor. Another thing that has me worried is the raddling noise that is heard when you hit a bump. Can anyone confirm what i have been hearing, and help me with the decision of it is worth the money and what i gain after. Also i do not want much of a drop so what would be the best combo of springs and struts.
I installed B&G Springs last weekend. No rattling over bumps. There was a minor noise when I turn the steering and with some wire wrap ( see link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=73171 )

it was solved!
For my impression on lowering springs, please see the thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=73347

In a nutshell.
IT IS WORTH IT, the time & money!
Old 10-25-2001, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by DanNY

c'mon u know u like the 4X4 look on the 4th gens!
girls love jeeps
Old 10-25-2001, 10:48 AM

Re: Is lowering your car worth the trouble?

you have to understand something, America has certain laws that car manufacturers have to follow, one of 'em is a height of the car, when Maxima, bmw... cars were designed, they were really designed to sit about 1-1.5 inches lower than they are now, so basically the setup you have now is the WRONG geometry, if you lower the car by 1-1.5 inches, you will actually be sitting on the original geometry of the suspension, so lowering your car actually does help
Old 10-25-2001, 10:50 AM

I think some cars aren't worth lowering...my 90 Accord coupe has wonderful response and feels solid in the turns. My Maxima, however, needed all the help it could get. After the FSTB, RSTB, RSB, H&R/Tokico, and 17X8" wheels, my Maxima can carve just about any turn faster than I'm willing to take it. By that I mean the car and a professional/crazy amatuer would go nuts, but as for me I own the car and love it too much to risk an incident.
In short, the Maxima does need stiffer springs and a slight drop. I really wish I had a .9" - 1.1" drop, but H&R does not make the OE line for our car. The reason I say this is because of the front bumper overhang (from the front fender well to the front tip). RWDs as well as some Hondas have minimized the front overhang and thus will lessen the probability of scraping.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:55 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: Is lowering your car worth the trouble?

Originally posted by Vinipux
you have to understand something, America has certain laws that car manufacturers have to follow, one of 'em is a height of the car, when Maxima, bmw... cars were designed, they were really designed to sit about 1-1.5 inches lower than they are now, so basically the setup you have now is the WRONG geometry, if you lower the car by 1-1.5 inches, you will actually be sitting on the original geometry of the suspension, so lowering your car actually does help

Um, no.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:09 AM

In that case, all your Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds, Ferraris, Lotus, even Celica GTS, Integra Type R would be "ILLEGAL" due to their stock wheel gap.

There are laws but none against wheel gap. The manufacturers use less drop for people that have to deal with snow... The higher the ground clearance, the better your traction on snow...
Old 10-25-2001, 11:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Is lowering your car worth the trouble?

Originally posted by dashingMax

In that case, all your Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds, Ferraris, Lotus, even Celica GTS, Integra Type R would be "ILLEGAL" due to their stock wheel gap.

There are laws but none against wheel gap. The manufacturers use less drop for people that have to deal with snow... The higher the ground clearance, the better your traction on snow...

it's not about a wheel well distance, it's the bumper distance
Old 10-25-2001, 11:42 AM

I'll have a little of whatever he's smoking

WTF are you talking about. Yes cars must meet federal regulations on headlight and bumber heights. But this is designed into the car from the start. Why would a car company spend all their money designing a car that needs to be lowered when 99% of the people buying the car won't lower it?
Old 10-25-2001, 11:48 AM

I told you down on the Pike to lower your car! I need to get some $$$ to lower mine.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:09 PM

I beleive that the original concept of the vehicle is designed with lower CG. As a matter of fact look at all the concept vehicles of the past they are all lower and have larger wheels when compared to the production counter parts also more hp. They don't lower the CG because your average consumer does mind if he has to constantly be worried for clearance and also doesn't care for the stiff suspension, as a matter of fact most Sport sedans are not purchased by people like us therefore they have to find a happy medium. I do diagree with him saying it is the wrong Geometry there is nothing wrong with the design or geometry but it can be improved.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Is lowering your car worth the trouble?

Originally posted by HoJo

I'll have a little of whatever he's smoking

WTF are you talking about. Yes cars must meet federal regulations on headlight and bumber heights. But this is designed into the car from the start. Why would a car company spend all their money designing a car that needs to be lowered when 99% of the people buying the car won't lower it?
EXACTLY my point!!
Old 10-25-2001, 01:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my back wheel always rubs so it makes an annoying clunking sound but handling wise it is worth it...ur handling will be like BMWs
Old 10-25-2001, 01:37 PM

OOoohhhh...THAT'S WHY... >

...I always get pulled over and ticketed by the po-po when my three 210lb friends get into the car with me.

Another reason to stay fit and not store naval anchor chain links in your trunks people...we have to be mindful of those minimum ride height laws.

Now I know...and knowing is half the battle.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:44 PM

Lowering is so not worth it

I mean who needs a car that looks alot better with less gap between the fender and tire. Also why would anyone want a flatter,better responding car when the stock suspension has more than enough floatiness
Old 10-25-2001, 01:59 PM

Re: OOoohhhh...THAT'S WHY... >

Originally posted by Albertt
...I always get pulled over and ticketed by the po-po when my three 210lb friends get into the car with me.

Another reason to stay fit and not store naval anchor chain links in your trunks people...we have to be mindful of those minimum ride height laws.

Now I know...and knowing is half the battle.
naval anchor chain links???
Old 10-25-2001, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

he actually does have a point, the Nissan Cefiro is lower than the Maxima, the original platform for the Maxima was obviously the Cefiro. US roads are in general crap so thats why the Max's ride so high.
and lowering the car helps to a pint, but slamming it 3 inches wont give you better handling than a good set of 2" springs, and even with Eibachs you pretty much have all the handling you need unless you hardcore race
Old 10-25-2001, 02:56 PM

well u have all convinced me so far, im thinking of ebachi struts but im not sure what springs, i do not want much of a drop cause of clearance on all these backroads near my house. I am also looking for a comfortable ride so what springs am i looking at H&R, plus are those coil overs?
Old 10-25-2001, 03:10 PM
Former Sponsor

if you want comfort go with H&R, but you will probably need shocks/struts because lowering your car puts alot of stress on them, check out the KYB AGXs or Konis both around 400 bucks, the KYBs are adjustable and brand new on the market + easier to install.

Coilovers? for good ones? expect to pay $$$$$
Weapon Rs are cheap, but there are alot of mixed reviews on em, so excercise caution

good luck

c_c30
Old 10-25-2001, 03:14 PM

you gotta drop that ish
Old 10-25-2001, 03:19 PM

well u have all convinced me so far, im thinking of ebachi struts but im not sure what springs, i do not want much of a drop cause of clearance on all these backroads near my house. I am also looking for a comfortable ride so what springs am i looking at H&R, plus are those coil overs?
Eibach doesnt make struts they make springs. H&Rs are springs. H&R are les harsh than Eibach.
Old 10-25-2001, 03:19 PM

A very good alternative to H&R springs would be the B&G Springs. They offer the same comfort with a slightly lower drop (1.6"). When the darn KYB-AGX come out, go for it. I too am waiting for the AGX struts...
KYB GR2 will save you $100 but seem to be a slightly better stock replacements.
Good Luck...
Old 10-25-2001, 03:20 PM

that sig pic is scaring me
Old 10-25-2001, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by dashingMax

A very good alternative to H&R springs would be the B&G Springs. They offer the same comfort with a slightly lower drop (1.6"). When the darn KYB-AGX come out, go for it. I too am waiting for the AGX struts...
KYB GR2 will save you $100 but seem to be a slightly better stock replacements.
Good Luck...
Also APEX is another 1.6" drop spring
Old 10-25-2001, 03:23 PM
Former Sponsor

KYB AGXs are out, ~400 bucks, Brian Catts at Cattman is the best to go if you need them quick, there is a GD going on with Phuong on the org
Tirerack has em too
Old 10-25-2001, 03:28 PM

so what is the difference between GR2 and AGX, sorry im a little slow
Old 10-25-2001, 03:34 PM

Lowering my car is one of the best mods I've ever done. Do not regret it and love it.
Old 10-25-2001, 03:45 PM

ALLRIGHT, YOU LITTLE IGNORENT MOTHER AFERS, HERE IT GOES, NO BUMPER LAWS? RIGHT????? what am I smoking??? well, obviously something that helps

now, for all of nice boys and girls, here's a site about the bumper laws: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...per/Index.html

here's a part that talks about bumper laws
-------------------------
3) What are the Federal regulations for bumpers?

49 CFR Part 581, "The bumper standard," prescribes performance requirements for passenger cars in low-speed front and rear collisions. It applies to front and rear bumpers on passenger cars to prevent the damage to the car body and safety related equipment at barrier impact speeds of 2½ mph across the full width and 1½ mph on the corners.

This is equivalent to a 5 mph crash into a parked vehicle of the same weight. The standard requires protection in the region 16 to 20 inches above the road surface, and the manufacturer can provide the protection by any means it wants. For example, some vehicles do not have a solid bumper across the vehicle, but meet the standard by strategically placed bumper guards and corner guards
------------------------------

16 to 20 inches above the ground surface, any questions

thank you for listening, have a good day
Old 10-25-2001, 04:28 PM

Hmmm

Whoa, whos the sexy chick in that sig. Wait a sec. . That chicks a dude!
Old 10-25-2001, 09:25 PM

just got my b+g springs installed
Old 10-25-2001, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
girls love jeeps
Thats why I still drive one.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by black019
just got my b+g springs installed
what made you decide to keep them? I thought you wanted to sell
Old 10-25-2001, 10:03 PM

Besided the SC lowering is the most effective thing I ever did.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:04 PM

dont u need shocks for ur springs,
Old 10-25-2001, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Nismo

what made you decide to keep them? I thought you wanted to sell
decided that 1.6 was a good enough drop especially since there is no loss of ride quality. literally.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:18 PM
Sly

so what is the difference between GR2 and AGX, sorry im a little slow
AGX have externally adjustable damping rates. Crank it up for racing, soften it for street.

GR2 are not adjustable.
Old 10-26-2001, 04:55 AM

Yeah >>

Originally posted by black019

naval anchor chain links???
A neighbor of mine use to put four 100lb naval anchor chain links in the back of his pick-up truck in the winter when he went to plow roads.

Quick Reply: Is lowering your car worth the trouble?