General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Beat By a CL-S

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 12:56 PM
PhatGuy

Altima:

http://www.nissan.ca/eng/cars/altima/price.html

3.5L 5spd base is $27,700CDN + $2,800 CDN (leather fully loaded) = $30,500CDN list. I can negotiate around $1000 off for $29,500CDN. $29,500CDN / 1.55 (exhange rate) = $19,032US for a fully loaded 2002 V6 Altima 5spd. Sorry guy at that price with that performance nothing can touch it! It would rip a CL-S and TL-S no problem and probably be as fast as the current TL-SX. If not there is about $16,000US (the difference) to play with mods wise.

Old 10-28-2001, 05:34 PM

Re: Beat By a CL-S

Originally posted by URIRx98
Well, this is my 1st post and I am wonderin how the 00 and 01 maximas have compared to the acura cl-s in street racing. I have a 01 acura cl-s and personally have raced a few 01 maximas on i-95 in Ft Lauderdale and dont get me wrong, they are very tought to beat, but i have beaten everyone one that I have raced. I am though concerned about the new 02, 260 hp maxima, I saw one today, and its deffinately a sweet lookin ride and has some damm nice features, but unless it gets a auto stick, ill be stayin away from it when my lease is up on the cl-s, and ill be goin back to acura to get its all new 315 hp TL-SX, yes, its very different then the TL-S
I want to know if anyone else has raced any cl-s and how they have fared against them. Let me know the truth and how you felt after winning or losing, cause it was most likely losing,
Tell me more about the TL-SX. I have a 2gen TL right now too and always looking for a new ride. The TL site didn't seem to have anything. I also have my eyes out for a Evo 7. Don't flame me. I'm still going to keep the I-30.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:06 PM

Maxima vs Acura

When you're talking about races between cars with very similar HP and weight, it usually comes down to driver skill or production variations between the cars. This whole "Max vs. CL-S" thread made me go back and look at my old Car and Driver mags. They tested a CL-S in 12/00 and it went 6.8/15.2. Then they tested a TL-S in the 7/01 issue, and it went 6.5/14.8. With the same engine and tranny and probably close to the same weight, they should have been closer together. I respect Car and Driver's times becuase they correct them for atmospheric conditions and elevation, so you get a truer comparison between cars. Probably just production variations explain the big difference. So the average time a TL/CL Type S could pull (with an excellent driver) would be 6.6/15.0. The point I'm getting to is that the last 5th Gen they tested (an I30t in 2/00) only managed a sick 8.0/16.1. What could explain such a huge difference in speed, when you're only talking about 35hp? I haven't seen any Car and Driver tests of the new 3.5L yet. I saw a Motor Trend test of the I35 this month, and they only managed a 7.0 0-60 time. Of course Motor Trend sucks so I'll wait for a better mag to post a time that I can depend on. If the 2K2 Max doesn't pull times comparable to the TL/CL's, what the hell is going on? Is Nissan B.S.ing on HP ratings, or is Acura sending juiced-up models for road tests? Food for thought.
Old 10-30-2001, 11:31 PM

1st off i would love to know where u can get the 2002 se maxima fully loaded for under23 grand, thats just rediculous, when i got my 98, in sugust of 98, i got it for that much, cause of 2grand in dealer incentives and then alot of bargaining cause the car was not a new one and the 99 were on there way inm and they wanted to get rid of the 98s from there stock, and my 98, didnt have bose, leather or abs, and it was 23 grand, so how do u get a fully loaded with everything for the same price, its not truth. Last year i was lookin at the 2001 and they wouldnt give me a 2001 for under 450 a month sign and drive, and my 98 was at 360 sign and drive, i didnt take it cause they told me they would give me the same price as i was payin and they couldnt come close, tell me how u get that 2002 for 23 grand and where and ill shake your hand, cause it aint possible, not with leather and navi and bose radio, no way. And the interior is not as nice as acuras and acuras seats are totally leather and alot more comfy then the maximas, like i said, sat in them both yesterday at the car show, id thiunk of gettint eh I35 next if it had auto stick, but since its not gettin it, cause nissan doesnt know how to make one, ill probally stick with acura tl-sx, yes its modified, but its still sweet as hell, or maybe get a 1 year old GS430. Besides the fact that the grill is UUUUGGGGLY as hell on the maxima, but atleast u have real fogs, i dont, except for my eye ball ones, but the bulbs blew on those already,
wg
sure with a TL-SX you may be able to "keep-up" with a GS430...but the TL is pretty much all "modded out" at that point. Stick an SRT intake and chip + exhaust on the GS and bu bye TL....or how about an SRT supercharger for the GS.....stage 1 is over 400 hp...just some more food for thought
Old 10-30-2001, 11:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yes chippin the gs will produce more HP, but then u are talkin about much more money then the tl-sx, but i did forget that about the chip. I guess i could always get a gs300 and mod the hell out of it too. I guess that wouldmt be to much money and i dont think there are too many differences between the 300 and 400 except the v6 or v8. hmmm, food for though.
wg
Old 10-30-2001, 11:46 PM

yes chippin the gs will produce more HP, but then u are talkin about much more money then the tl-sx, but i did forget that about the chip. I guess i could always get a gs300 and mod the hell out of it too. I guess that wouldmt be to much money and i dont think there are too many differences between the 300 and 400 except the v6 or v8. hmmm, food for though.
wg

don't waste your time with the 300...unless you are going to do a custom Supra TT engine swap. With bolt on's on a 300...you'd be lucky to run 14s at all....
Old 10-30-2001, 11:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Okay kid. You are obviously a stuckup brat. I can tell by your grammer already. For one thing, I drove a loaded one and it was 26k yesterday, leather, loaded just not navi. Also if you go READ YOUR DAMN forums, it says on them when you guys are complaining about the leather in your cars, it says in posts that your seats are NOT FULLY LEATHER, they are VINYL. The only part of the seat that is leather is where your back and butt sits. That's it! The Maxima personally for less money is a hell of alot better made. Nissan has been making performance cars for many years, alot longer than Acura has even been around! And why would someone want a AUTO-STICK?! That is not a REAL PERFORMANCE car, its a luxury car trying to be like a performance. A real 5SPD OR 6SPSD is a real performance transmission.

Until ACURA can build a tranny that will last more than 10k of miles without blowing up, they can get a damn life!

Just to let you know Russ, the leather on a max is 80% fake too. The only part that is real leather is were you you sit down. The sides of the seats are made of vinyl and so are the door inserts. Just thought I would let you know.

2K2 6spd max owns Tl-S's!