General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Good Car Magazines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by choray911
All these are crap! Keep wishing when you read these things. If you are in the market for a TT BMW or a Lambo, by all means give it a look.
Have you ever read these or just looked at the covers? Yes there are fantastic articles on supercars, but there are also many many many articles on new cars coming out in the average person's price range. They do excellent comparison tests on the newest hatchbacks coming out, or the newest sedans, or the newest convertibles, etc. They also do long term tests and give you updates on how the cars are doing after a year so you get an idea of how they hold up if you looking to buy a slightly used car. There are very good practical articles, along with the amazing supercar articles that make you drool. Just pick up a few at the library or bookstand and flip through them, you'll see.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:16 AM
is craving Bojangles

sport compact car and motor trend for me. i'm actually fairly confident i'll be getting my Journalism degree here at UNC so that i can write for one of these publications.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:37 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by irish44j
"tuning" magazines are lame. They're all about the "bling."

if you want to actually learn something, pick up a mag like GrassrootsMotorsport

I've had a subscription to them for several years and typically read it from cover to cover. I've also got all my old issues
Old 02-18-2008, 03:37 PM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

Originally Posted by hoyshnin
Have you ever read these or just looked at the covers? Yes there are fantastic articles on supercars, but there are also many many many articles on new cars coming out in the average person's price range. They do excellent comparison tests on the newest hatchbacks coming out, or the newest sedans, or the newest convertibles, etc. They also do long term tests and give you updates on how the cars are doing after a year so you get an idea of how they hold up if you looking to buy a slightly used car. There are very good practical articles, along with the amazing supercar articles that make you drool. Just pick up a few at the library or bookstand and flip through them, you'll see.
I'm not discounting the fact that they have the latest road test of the new Volvo wagon out, however there is no educational value as to the potential of an automoble. This thread began as a suggestion of performance magazines focused on modifying a car. Have you ever seen an piece on how to: install or tune a turbo kit on a car, how to corner weigh a car, or how to perform a motor swap in Road and Track or Car and Driver? These publications are the equivilent to kindergarden, its time to step up to highschool.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:31 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
first part is right.
second part... I like GRM, but I haven't learned much of anything from them recently... it's all 'beginner stuff' for the most part.
"how to get good dyno numbers"
1. make sure your car is running right
2. check tire pressures
3. make sure dyno is using proper correction numbers
4. check ignition timing
5. use the right fuel

uhhhhh NO SHEIT!

Edit.. btw, I read Grassroots Motorsports, Nissan Sport Mag, Ward's Auto World (an OE-supplier industry mag), and will occasionally pick up a copy of Modified or C&D when I want to laugh at lame stuff.
you missed GRM's how to turbo anything?
Old 02-18-2008, 04:51 PM

I like all the magazines mentioned. Any suggestions for great auto web sites? In particular finding an honest mechanic.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm a noob when it comes to cars, my Maxima is my first vehicle. I find Project Car Magazine as mentioned previously to be quite helpful. Very detailed installation instructions.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:09 AM

I prefer, Modified Magazine, Turbo, Sport Compact Car, Nissan Sport Magazine, and Dsport Magazine, all seem to have a decent amount of knowledgeable info in these. I agree with choray911, if you want to read up on cars that you dream of having and want Jiffy Lube to change your oil, then get Car and Driver, Motortrend, etc. But if you want to gain some knowledge on actually tuning a car then get a tuner magazine.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 PM
wat

Super Chevy???

Only real magazine that builds engines, compares heads, pistons, cams and etc and dollar per hp. Good stuff you are into building smallblocks.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:25 AM

I look at all the mags mentioned above at walmart or any other place that sells mags....I am only subscribed to Super Street and SCC.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

+1 super chevy
car craft !

<--- chevy fanboy getting a 94 maxima march 16th.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:15 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by zane
+1 super chevy
car craft !

<--- chevy fanboy getting a 94 maxima march 16th.
neither is as good as it could be.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 PM

sport compact car is my fav
Old 03-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm really not into the Import Tuners and the Sports Compact Car magazines because i feel congested by all the merchandising and girly photos that distract me from the cars. Here are some of the few magazines that i subscribe to.

- Sports Car International (they have really well written editorials)
- Grassroots Motorsports (great if you're into preping your car for the tracks)
- Project Car Magazine (kind of a import take on the Grassroots magazine)
- High-Performance Driving (great magazine on driving techniques but are hard to find)
- Top Gear Magazine (for being up to date on cars that haven't made it to the states)
Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Banned

Car & Driver..I like it very much..

And i find a deal for 1 Yr 12 Issues is $3.40

..You can have a look.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:47 PM

i'm thinking about going to pick up a few copies today. can i pick up individual copies in like a cvs or something just to decide if i wanna subscribe or not?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by issues636
i'm thinking about going to pick up a few copies today. can i pick up individual copies in like a cvs or something just to decide if i wanna subscribe or not?
Which magazine are you referring to? Libraries actually have a lot of these if you want to check that out. I know magazine stands (I don't know about cvs) have motortrend, car and driver, automobile, and road and track usually, I don't know about other car magazines.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by hoyshnin
Which magazine are you referring to? Libraries actually have a lot of these if you want to check that out. I know magazine stands (I don't know about cvs) have motortrend, car and driver, automobile, and road and track usually, I don't know about other car magazines.
well i went to cvs and took a look. i saw a few but only picked up motor trend. car and driver just doesn't interest me too much. i'm mainly looking for the nissan one though, could i pick up a copy of that anywhere or do i have to subscribe?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
stay away from sport compact, everything is like girls modeling and the thing about it is there wearing like designer cloths
i actually hardly ever see models in SCC, usually import tuner and modified are full of the import models and such, Car and driver/motortrend are good for production stuff, but very little in the way of tuning/modding ideas. Super street hasn't really impressed me in awhile. i usually get one or more of the following:

Turbo
Sport Compact Car
Modified
Car and Driver
Automobile
and sometimes an Excellence to drool over ..
Old 04-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by issues636
well i went to cvs and took a look. i saw a few but only picked up motor trend. car and driver just doesn't interest me too much. i'm mainly looking for the nissan one though, could i pick up a copy of that anywhere or do i have to subscribe?
Nissan Sport Magazine is actually everything Nissan. Google their website.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Nissan Sport Magazine is actually everything Nissan. Google their website.
yeah i googled their site and found out places like borders and barnes n noble carry individual copies. i'll pick up a copy when i go to the mall tomorrow from borders. and most likely subscribe tomorrow night if i like it.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Anyone checked out the free online publication Winding Road? I would say it is on par with Motor Trend if not better. Check it out.
www.windingroad.com
Old 06-01-2008, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by rainman_ca
Project Car Magazine just started last year. its hard to find but if you do its very straight through to low budget build up on cars.

projectcarmag.com

Old 06-15-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by anhhuy8
modified,super street and drag sport are good car magazines.
i subscribed to super street about 6 months ago, and wanted my money back about 5 months ago. They only have about one good article every month and usually it's a honda or something that doesn't interest me. Motor trend is the way to go!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

Originally Posted by z00york145
i subscribed to super street about 6 months ago, and wanted my money back about 5 months ago. They only have about one good article every month and usually it's a honda or something that doesn't interest me. Motor trend is the way to go!
I ended my subscription to SS when all they talked about was Nad's Man *****.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:43 PM

R&T has better technical analysis IMO, compared to MT and C&D. I read Cycle World too and I pick up an issue of SCC on occasion, which is alright, but I think it used to be better...Or maybe my attention span is getting worse. However, I enjoy the editorials and the articles pretaining to USCC, tech, projects and so on.

Moncef

Last edited by MoncefA33; 06-21-2008 at 05:46 PM.