General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Are clear corner lights illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 12:34 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I have heard that these are illegal because you are taking out the orange reflector. Does anyone know if these are illegal in any state? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:37 AM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Re: Are clear corner lights illegal?

Originally posted by Aaron92SE
I have heard that these are illegal because you are taking out the orange reflector. Does anyone know if these are illegal in any state? Thanks.
When you start adding bulbs a different color then stock you may be asking for trouble, depends on what you can get away with in your area......
Old 10-28-2001, 12:42 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Re: Are clear corner lights illegal?

Originally posted by maxse91

When you start adding bulbs a different color then stock you may be asking for trouble, depends on what you can get away with in your area......
Do I have to change any of my bulbs if I put on clear corners? I will keep the stock bulbs. So, do I need to check out the law that is specific for my area?
Old 10-28-2001, 12:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Are clear corner lights illegal?

Do I have to change any of my bulbs if I put on clear corners? I will keep the stock bulbs. So, do I need to check out the law that is specific for my area?
I dunno where you live, but according to a cop here in CA, they are illegal whether you have orange bulbs or not. I dont know if thats the truth, but thats what the cop said to me
Old 10-28-2001, 12:52 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by TintDaMax

I dunno where you live, but according to a cop here in CA, they are illegal whether you have orange bulbs or not. I dont know if thats the truth, but thats what the cop said to me
Alright, thanks. I live in Las Vegas right now. But, by the end of the year, I will be living in North Carolina with my Maxima. So, I am just doing a little research before I start slapping mods on my car. Anybody else know about the law? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:54 AM
Maxima owner since 2000

it all depends on the mood of the cop. for the most part, it's not illegal as long as your blinker flashes yellow. but there have been cases where the cop is just plain b!tchy and nails you for the clear corners...
Old 10-28-2001, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by KrZyMaX
it all depends on the mood of the cop. for the most part, it's not illegal as long as your blinker flashes yellow. but there have been cases where the cop is just plain b!tchy and nails you for the clear corners...
i doubt that happens a lot anymore. for example, almost all BMWs, (the newer models) come with the white blinkers.... and many trucks do too.
Old 10-28-2001, 07:28 AM

I think as long as the bulbs are yellow you should be fine. If they are and you get pulled over, take the cop to court. There are plenty of new cars out there with clear lenses and yellow bulbs.
Old 10-28-2001, 09:56 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I don't think they are illegal as long as they light up the same color..... This applies for both front and rear of the car. I believe you have a 3rd gen (judging from your sig pic, btw, WTF did u do to it?! ) Well, the little orange reflector is no big deal. Some cops might not even notice it and there are plenty of cars that don't even have an orange reflector in the front. So don't worry about it. Put in an orange bulb. If they do mess with you, swap them out, put in your stock corners (should take like 5 min) and go get the ticket dissmissed. Then go put them back in.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:07 AM

Anything that is not stock can be deemed illegal. It all depends on the cops.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:12 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
Anything that is not stock can be deemed illegal. It all depends on the cops.

well, technically, if there is no law saying it's illegal, it can be called legal in court
Cops can either not know every single law, or mess with ya regardless hoping you don't know every single law. Best thing to do is to find the local laws regarding lighting on motor vehicles and look up exactly what it says.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyways, most of the time when cops stop you its from behind so they won't even get a chance to look at your clear corners.
Old 10-28-2001, 11:12 AM
RBa

Originally posted by JUDE
Anyways, most of the time when cops stop you its from behind so they won't even get a chance to look at your clear corners.
I wonder what they look at while walking over to your door!..

Here in NYC, clear bubs are illegal, clear lens are ok!!..
Old 10-28-2001, 12:24 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: ....

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
I don't think they are illegal as long as they light up the same color..... This applies for both front and rear of the car. I believe you have a 3rd gen (judging from your sig pic, btw, WTF did u do to it?! ) Well, the little orange reflector is no big deal. Some cops might not even notice it and there are plenty of cars that don't even have an orange reflector in the front. So don't worry about it. Put in an orange bulb. If they do mess with you, swap them out, put in your stock corners (should take like 5 min) and go get the ticket dissmissed. Then go put them back in.
As for my sig, I was just messing around one day and decided to try to make my car look like every other car in Las Vegas. The thing is, that most of the people on .org think it looks good.

I guess I will just go ahead and get clear corners because it makes my car look a little better. I am also thinking about getting side marker lights, like on the New Volkswagens and BMW's. What does everybody think about those on a white 3rd gen? Any opinions? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2001, 02:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RBa

I wonder what they look at while walking over to your door!..

I think they're more worried about make sure you're not going to jump out with an Uzi.
Old 10-28-2001, 02:55 PM

Heck...my clearance bulbs are police blue, side markers are green, and the rear side markers on my altezzas are green, but my front blinkers are amber, i go by cops all the time, and in my neighborhood they're pretty strict about traffic stuff, haven't been pulled over yet...
Old 10-28-2001, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Xtreme5053
Heck...my clearance bulbs are police blue, side markers are green, and the rear side markers on my altezzas are green, but my front blinkers are amber, i go by cops all the time, and in my neighborhood they're pretty strict about traffic stuff, haven't been pulled over yet...
Then you are a lucky a$$
Old 10-28-2001, 04:02 PM

this thread should be delted!!! if you wanna know call your local police department or else get them and dont worry about it, geeez!
Old 10-28-2001, 04:42 PM

Don't worry, NC is pretty cool. I have clear corners and have yet to have a problem, and I have been stopped for other things without a word from the officer about lights. Like everyone else said stick w/amber bulbs and you will be fine. Some of the officers and state troopers that I know personally have modded cars and really do understand, they follow simple rules no racing, no loud music, and no Honduh civic should be louder than a Rustang Cobra, it just ain't natural....
Old 10-29-2001, 02:05 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by straight six
Don't worry, NC is pretty cool. I have clear corners and have yet to have a problem, and I have been stopped for other things without a word from the officer about lights. Like everyone else said stick w/amber bulbs and you will be fine. Some of the officers and state troopers that I know personally have modded cars and really do understand, they follow simple rules no racing, no loud music, and no Honduh civic should be louder than a Rustang Cobra, it just ain't natural....
Ok, thanks. What part of NC are you in? I will be moving to the Greenville area.
Old 10-29-2001, 03:54 AM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Are clear corner lights illegal?

ur car in your sig looks illegal.
Old 10-29-2001, 06:03 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Every car needs to have orange reflectors in the front and red reflectors in the rear. It's the law in ALL STATES. Newer cars which have clear blinker lenses have orange reflectors buried under the clear lense. Look very close at them and you'll see this.
You can also be legal if you have small orange reflectors in the sides of the front bumbers.

You do need orange blinkers in the front and red in the rear. Having clear or white blinkers is a ticket waiting to happen.

Basicly, orange reflectors somewhere in the front and red somewhere in the rear or you will not pass a state inspection. Doesn't matter where you live.

As far as a cop pulling you over and giving you a ticket, thats another story. He'll definately get you for white or clear blinkers but usually not for reflectors. However if you **** him off, he's going to write you for anything he can.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:13 AM

Must have amber (orange) bulb, and they are legal in most states, with the exception of a few.
Old 10-29-2001, 06:47 PM

Ok, thanks. What part of NC are you in? I will be moving to the Greenville area.
I live in the Triad Area, Greensboro to be exact. You are near the coast I believe prolly at least 3-4 hrs away. I think org member matt calder lives out your way but i'm not sure.