General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Shop tools

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 05:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shop tools

Me and some friends are planning to get like a little shop in one of our 3 car garages. What tools should we get? We really want the shop to look good to. What are some equipment we should get and is there nice workbenches and cabinets? What kind of equipment? What brands? Is there a place I should buy everything at like online with quality parts? Air tools???? If you had to buy your own tools and workbenches what would you get and what brand?????
Old 10-28-2001, 06:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Shop tools

Originally posted by NISMOPower
Me and some friends are planning to get like a little shop in one of our 3 car garages. What tools should we get? We really want the shop to look good to. What are some equipment we should get and is there nice workbenches and cabinets? What kind of equipment? What brands? Is there a place I should buy everything at like online with quality parts? Air tools???? If you had to buy your own tools and workbenches what would you get and what brand?????
Try "Snap on", they make great tools and they will come to your house with a huge truck full of tools on display. I think there a little expensive though .
Old 10-28-2001, 06:51 PM

Re: Re: Shop tools

Originally posted by emax95

Try "Snap on", they make great tools and they will come to your house with a huge truck full of tools on display. I think there a little expensive though .

Snap-On is very expensive. I recently priced a set of wrenches (3/8-3/4). $273 + tax. Craftsman makes quality tools, and they are much more affordable than the "professional" brands(Snap-On, Mac, etc...) Personally, I like S-K and Blackhawk, mainly because they have a lifetime warranty and I can get them replaced easily if I break one.

Snap-on and the other pro brands will set up an account for you if you buy enough tools. I know a mechanic with $25,000 of Snap-on tools, and he pays about $400 a month.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:47 AM

Re: Shop tools

Originally posted by NISMOPower
You didn't say what type of work you're going to be doing but, for general repair...

Well, for my shop I use a combination of Snap-On, MATCO and Craftsman hand tools. A lot of people think Snap-On is overpriced, but I've found it to be worth it for some tools such as wrenches (slimmer and stronger) and they also make some specialty tools that nobody else does. The same thing goes for MATCO. Other things like sockets I get from Craftsman. My box is a Craftsman - actually I would rather throw my tools in a cardboard box than buy a Snap-On or MATCO box. Those things are hella expensive! But they're nice, I think if I was a kid just starting out again I would pay the $20 a week for one (forever!).

Most of my air tools are Ingersol-Rand. I've found them to be the most reliable over the years.

Most of the furniture comes from Grainger, such as workbenches and cabinets. Also, air fittings, hoses, jacks (buy Lincoln) etc. But I think you need to be an official business to buy from them.

Hmmm...lets see, lifts from Rotory (3 grand each), tire changing/balancing and brake equipment from Coats/Ammco (about 8 grand for the three). Diagnostic equipment from Snap-On (3 grand for a scanner) or OTC/Fluke. Though there isn't really a proprietary scanner out there for Nissans. You can access OBD-II codes or read the blinking light that's about it. The dealers are the only ones who have the good scanners.

We wont even go into scopes, a/c recyclers, coolant recyclers etc. You'll also need a good parts washer, and a brake parts washer too (according to the EPA). Mine came from Safety-Kleen (they come around once a month and clean them out).

The list goes on. The point is, I had corporate backing when buying all of our equipment (except mine - any good wrench owns his own tools). Getting a shop started up is BIG BUCKS. The diagnostic equipment and sacrifices you have to make for the EPA are the killers.

A lot of this stuff can be bought used of course, or cheaper brands. There may be an equipment auction in your area (shop going out of business). Also, if you get in a good relationship with a parts vendor they'll usually cut a deal on some equipment. For instance, our tire supplier just gives us our tire machines.

Plus, not to mention that usually the town wont let you work out of your own garage (if it's residential) - it's a matter of zoning.

Also, don't take me the wrong way but - If I knew you were the one who posted that question when I brought my car in to your shop I would be a little nervous. If somebody is confident enough to charge people for repairig their car and has the know how he should already have experience in a shop and know the answers to your questions. Plus own his own tools.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2001, 12:50 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

usually SnapOn dont sell to the general public.

i think the best investment would be an air compressor and air tools. Then depending on what type of work you are planning to do you can decide what type of tools you want. Myself, i only work on IMports so all i have are metric tools, air tools and electrical/diagnosing tools. I have easily over 20k invested in all my tools. 95% SnapOn stuff..Love them, never been dissatisfied with it, except for price...heeh
Old 10-29-2001, 12:54 AM

Yeah, my Snap On dealer will sell to anybody. I've seen him sell to people while on lunch in McDonald's parking lot.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:11 AM

I would get Craftsman tools. They are great, and have a lifetime warranty.