General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Those with failing Tokico struts, did you do this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000, 08:35 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Did you guys "prime" your struts before install like you were suppose to before install. When I got my KYB GR-2s, the directions said you must prime the strut shaft up and down until the shaft becomes uniform in it's resistance. One of my GR-2s only needed to be primed 3 times and the other one needed 20 times. If you don't prime the strut before install, the strut can become noisy, quickly fail and blow out.

Dave
Old 11-03-2000, 08:44 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well Tokicos are gas nitrogen filled. KYB are also gas or hydraulic but still sealed. I don't understand how "priming" would do anything. I have installed KYB shocks before on a camry. Their instructions said nothing like that.

Originally posted by Dave B
Did you guys "prime" your struts before install like you were suppose to before install. When I got my KYB GR-2s, the directions said you must prime the strut shaft up and down until the shaft becomes uniform in it's resistance. One of my GR-2s only needed to be primed 3 times and the other one needed 20 times. If you don't prime the strut before install, the strut can become noisy, quickly fail and blow out.

Dave
Old 11-03-2000, 08:59 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Well that's what KYB says to do in bold "IMPORTANT: BEFORE INSTALL YOU MUST PRIME THE STRUT". They said it's extremely important to do this. They say if the strut was sat around for a long time without being installed, the fluid will shift and the seals could be damaged without priming them first. The KYB GR-2s are nitrogen and fluid filled just like everyone elses.

I have a good hunch that a lot of people didn't do this with their Toks and such.

Dave
Old 11-03-2000, 11:58 AM

Tokico's don't have instructions--->>

They do have recommendations and all it talks about is bumpstops and dust covers...

Originally posted by Dave B
Well that's what KYB says to do in bold "IMPORTANT: BEFORE INSTALL YOU MUST PRIME THE STRUT". They said it's extremely important to do this. They say if the strut was sat around for a long time without being installed, the fluid will shift and the seals could be damaged without priming them first. The KYB GR-2s are nitrogen and fluid filled just like everyone elses.

I have a good hunch that a lot of people didn't do this with their Toks and such.

Dave
Old 11-03-2000, 12:26 PM

Question about "bump stops" on struts.

When I had my Tok's and KYB's put in, I'm sure they didn't trim the bump stops like I've heard so many other people say to do. My question is, what is the actual term for the bump stop as it would appear in the Shop Manual?

I've been getting rattling/vibrating noises ever since I put in the Eibach and Tokico combo...could this be the problem?

I'm not sure what the bump stop is or how much to trim it once I know what the heck it is. Going nuts from the noise.

Any1 have any advice?

Thanx,

Old 11-03-2000, 12:55 PM

Unless you're lowering the car, why trim the bumpstops? nm

nm
Old 11-03-2000, 01:13 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Unless you're lowering the car, why trim the bumpstops? nm

check his sig..it is lowered.
Dan

Originally posted by Albertt
nm
Old 11-03-2000, 01:14 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Question about

i believe* the bump stop and the dustboot is the same unit. at the top of the boot is a big rubber section..(that's the bump stop). someone correct me if i'm wrong here.
Dan

Originally posted by MNiMax
When I had my Tok's and KYB's put in, I'm sure they didn't trim the bump stops like I've heard so many other people say to do. My question is, what is the actual term for the bump stop as it would appear in the Shop Manual?

I've been getting rattling/vibrating noises ever since I put in the Eibach and Tokico combo...could this be the problem?

I'm not sure what the bump stop is or how much to trim it once I know what the heck it is. Going nuts from the noise.

Any1 have any advice?

Thanx,