General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Who will not buy another Maxima/Nissan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 08:42 PM

With the new Z and G35 just around the corner and rumors of Nissan switching all their large sedans to a RWD platform, Nissan is showing their sport side more than ever. The next 2-3 years are gonna be good ones for Nissan enthusiasts for sure!

I don't know about you, but if Nissan ever changes the Max to RWD, I'm gone. I live in Iowa. It snows too damn much here. My 87 has driven across more ice-laden roads here than I care to think about. I do not want RWD.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:59 PM
DOM

Re: Re: carnal_c30

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

I think the reason you are displeased with your Eclipse is because you bought the 3rd gen one that does not have the turbo. Get a 2nd gen, like I plan to, and mod it for about $7,000 you will have a car that is in the 10's. That is still faster than your other suggestion of building up a 240Z. Im not flaming you, Im mearly pointing out that you shouldnt have high expetations for a 3rd generation eclipse. I've beaten them in my max with only an intake.

Kirk
I am not too much of a die hard performance guy. I have never been to the track before. I want a street Z not a track Z. This 10 second car of yours will not work on the street. Sure you can probably get it to be street legal somehow but will you even be able to drive it on the streets? I don't think that with $7000 you could get that car into the tens. You would need a ton of upgrades. If so, let me know. BUT! You need to find a used turbo Eclipse which will probably cost you $10,000 first and then you need to add your $7,000 in upgrades. $17,000 sounds better than a $50,000 car, but it still is expensive for a used car you get nothing out of for only being a track car.
Complications with your turbo might cost you a ton of money with that much power. How much power would be needed for this 10 second car?
I am not upset about buying a non turbo eclipse. It has a little more room in it and in my eyes, looks better than the other years. I understand it isn't as quick as a Maxima. I also have the Maxima to compare. My main point is the expensive insurance, lack of visibility, bad gas mileage.
Now I get back to my Z idea and it still sounds way better than your Eclipse idea and cheaper
Old 11-01-2001, 10:05 PM
DOM

Plus I thought I heard that those turbos were not too reliable. My friend had one and his blew after awhile and there was a recall once for the turbos. I probably might be overreacting, but any recall on a tiny 2.0L with a turbo makes me nervous for that much money!
Old 11-01-2001, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by DOM
Plus I thought I heard that those turbos were not too reliable. My friend had one and his blew after awhile and there was a recall once for the turbos. I probably might be overreacting, but any recall on a tiny 2.0L with a turbo makes me nervous for that much money!
I see your points, and I agree with you. The Talon, same thing as the eclipse, that I am looking at is running a 13.2 with some mods right now for $9700, but I know I can talk them down to about $9000. The car will have headers/down pipe that is 3", no cat ~ instead it will have a 3" test pipe, 3" pipe leading directly out the back of the car. Yes, no cats, no muffler. And best of all, it is street legal where I live to have it that way. I might get a noise ordinance violation but no emissions violations. It will have lag in first gera but once the turbo spools up its adios. It is also AWD which will help with launches. The $7000 is for almost everything needed to upgrade it to a 10 second car. I went to a couple of websites and added up the parts I wanted/would need to get it that fast. I just hope that I can get the Talon, my dad isnt too happy about the fact that it is so fast, but hey - its my money!

I agree that the 3rd gen's look better and have mroe room. You bought it because you are not a power demon like me, but you still like the power it has and the looks. Thats cool, we just differ in our desires.

The insurance once I hit 20 in 6 months will be only $100 more per month than my '95 max, the Talon is a '95 TSI AWD. That is for full coverage. I really didnt notice the lack of visability when I drove it last, I'll have to check that out if I drive it again on saturday. I still think that the Talon/Eclipse is a better buy than the 240Z, but both are very capable monsters.

Kirk
Old 11-01-2001, 10:26 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: carnal_c30

Originally posted by DOM
You need to find a used turbo Eclipse which will probably cost you $10,000 first and then you need to add your $7,000 in upgrades
for real, then tack on another $2000 for a standard engine rebuild and install and another $1500 for a 5spd transmission rebuild.....and then start modding, just hope the trans keeps up and those darn Mitsubishi quality lifters don't start a "clacking"....
Old 11-01-2001, 10:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: carnal_c30

Originally posted by DA-MAX

for real, then tack on another $2000 for a standard engine rebuild and install and another $1500 for a 5spd transmission rebuild.....and then start modding, just hope the trans keeps up and those darn Mitsubishi quality lifters don't start a "clacking"....
Engine in the Talon Im looking at has an engine with 27000 miles on it. The transmission should hold up until I break into the 11's. Then I'll need that pesky rollcage too. I know that Im going to get flamed for leaving the maxima family for the "import" scene, but hey, the max just isnt fast enough. Look at my sig ~ its not like I didnt try to get the most out of it.

Kirk
Old 11-01-2001, 10:41 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: carnal_c30

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo I know that Im going to get flamed for leaving the maxima family for the "import" scene,
****...I won't flame you at all....matter of fact I love DSM turbos, I was gonna buy my friends old '92(??) Galant VR4 turbo when I was car shopping, but Mitsubishi reliability in my book is enough to hold my interest...I've seen 3 Eclipses go through "major" probs, I'm not gonna be a part of that...but more power to you, just make sure the car you buy is gonna last....my boy bought his '95 GST two years ago w/ 89k, no probs at all, got a full tuneup and everything the day he left the lot....a year later everything went wrong electrical probs, engine died, crankshaft is needing to be replaced and his only mods during this "tragedy" was a muffler and intake and boost controller set at 13psi.....nothing major! just be careful, take into consideration the advice of those that have seen the bad side of these cars! but no doubtm they can be made into 1/4th mile rockets EASILY!
Old 11-01-2001, 10:48 PM
DOM

1/3There2/3ToGo

So what are you going to drive in real life on the road? Like to school and work? Is it really that reliable coming out of that little engine? Good luck on it. I am really interested to see how it goes because my brother wanted or maybe, still wants to do kind of the same as you
Old 11-01-2001, 10:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: carnal_c30

no doubt they can be made into 1/4th mile rockets EASILY!
Yes they can. That is their appeal to me. I will miss the max and its sleeper qualities, but then again, how many Talons do you see running 11's or 10's that are on the street driving next to you on the local "loop"?

Kirk
Old 11-01-2001, 11:03 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: carnal_c30

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo Yes they can. That is their appeal to me. I will miss the max and its sleeper qualities, but then again, how many Talons do you see running 11's or 10's that are on the street driving next to you on the local "loop"?
Kirk
true...this one guy around my way is running a 12.7** something, I dunno what the **** he has in the SOB, but man talk about a freaking rocket.....and I see him driving to work everyday, definently a "fun" car, but not without its trials and tribulations!
Old 11-01-2001, 11:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: carnal_c30

true...this one guy around my way is running a 12.7** something, I dunno what the **** he has in the SOB, but man talk about a freaking rocket.....and I see him driving to work everyday, definently a "fun" car, but not without its trials and tribulations!
How awesome would that be, a 12.7 daily driver! Im not far off from that, the Talon I am looking at is running a 13.2 at 4900 feet. It will be my daily driver too

I know there will be problems that I will have to face and fix, but I like working on cars and I wont mind doing the work myself. I know it will also be expensive, but hey ~ you only live once, have fun

Kirk
Old 11-03-2001, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo
I will buy a Nissan again in the future...probably distant future. Im selling my max because it just isnt fast enough. With CAI, Y, Cat, and exhaust its still in the 16's...granted its at 5000 feet, but still - come on now! I'll probably be getting a '95 Talon TSI AWD in about 2-3 weeks. Its running a 13.2 at the same altitude with only a few mods, including new turbo. I know that car will be much faster than the maxima ever can. I will come back to Nissan when they make the G35 in the TT version.

Kirk
Yeah, Talons can be modified easier and can go fast. That might be "your alley". A few years back I was looking at a 2-3 year old Talon. Looks sharp, fast, etc. The trunk wasn't useful, and the back seats are fine if I didn't plan to drive more than 2 people.
Reliability factor is much better in the Nissan. I ended up sticking with my 89 Celica GTS which wasn't fast but was more than competent.
Now I have a 99 Max and going to a 2002 hopefully soon.
Old 11-03-2001, 10:12 AM

Re: my 2 cents

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
as long as I am poor and looking for an affordable, reliable, good looking and well performing sedan... I will look at the Maxima. I am on my 2nd Maxima right now and I might be getting a 3rd one soon.. (this one will be a 5spd ) I really don't give a damn about anything else, Accords and Camrys suck, Galants are trash... BMWs I can't afford... Maxima = Poor Mans BMW... so until I can get a Bimmer, I will drive a Max.
Maxima's are not exactly for POOR people

I should be getting my 2002 soon, and giving my 99 back as a lease. No problem with the car, roomy, quick, looks nice etc. I have had tons of compliments on it and it is more "grown up" than a small sports car.

I thought about the BMW and down the road might get a AWD (I live in snowy conditions). For now I don't justify spending the extra $12,000, and don't feel right driving luxury when many of my friends can barely pay for groceries. Yeah I am compassionate and sensitive, even though they should take care of their own business.
Old 11-03-2001, 03:37 PM

Check the Sig
Old 11-03-2001, 04:28 PM

I love my Maxima, but with that said, I don't think I'll buy another. I don't think I'll stay in the Nissan family either, although the new Altima is nice.

This is my second Maxima. I had a '92 GXE. I had major problems with it (from window regulators to the transmission), so I sold it. I then bought the '97 SE and I truly love this car. It's fast enough for me and it turns heads (most of my friends are impressed by it anyway), and it wasn't that expensive. With the financial situation I'm in right now (being only 16, I think the Maxima is the perfect car for me, but I don't think I'll be buying another one. The '97 just doesn't seem like it was built as solidly as my 3rd gen was (even though I hated the 3rd gen, I have to admit it was built way better).

I don't really like the new Maximas styling, and if it's built like my 4th gen, I really don't want one. I'd rather buy an Acura TL Type S or even the new Camry is pretty nice looking. I'm almost 99% sure that my next car will be an Acura TL Type S. It's either that or a *cough* SUV *cough*.

For now, I'm gonna continue being a kid and enjoy my Max, because it is a great car. Once I'm done modding it, it'll be even better.

Later,
-Nick
Old 11-03-2001, 05:47 PM

I had a 92 GXE and now i have a 98 SE. This car has done it's job well so i don't think i want another car anytime soon. If i were to buy another car [5 -7yrs away] i would either get a 2yr old M3 or a 2001 BMW 740 with the 18 inch m-parallel rims black on black.
Old 11-03-2001, 06:37 PM

I'd wander over to the BMW dealer, unless the MAXIMA becomes the following....

RWD fully independant suspension, at least 280-300HP, well balanced competitor that the current chassis is desperately wanting to be. Other wise I'll be doing the former, or going after a Z350.
Old 11-03-2001, 08:02 PM

i loved my maximas i had and have, had a 92 se 5 spd comewhat moded and now have the 99 se-l auto...although i love the car and its wonderful for a 16 year old...i wish it had mor epower under the pedal...maybe i will do a 5 spd conversion or other mods inteh future, rightnow i am doing exhaust, suspension then brakes...ifi were to buy a car right now it would be a bmw 330ci...
Old 11-03-2001, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Rose
I'd wander over to the BMW dealer, unless the MAXIMA becomes the following....

RWD fully independant suspension, at least 280-300HP, well balanced competitor that the current chassis is desperately wanting to be. Other wise I'll be doing the former, or going after a Z350.
Uh...you just basically described a G35 , except for that 280 part, it's right on the dot. 255 seems like plenty considering what 240 can do for the Alti.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by bigbadboss101

Yeah, Talons can be modified easier and can go fast. That might be "your alley". A few years back I was looking at a 2-3 year old Talon. Looks sharp, fast, etc. The trunk wasn't useful, and the back seats are fine if I didn't plan to drive more than 2 people.
Reliability factor is much better in the Nissan. I ended up sticking with my 89 Celica GTS which wasn't fast but was more than competent.
Now I have a 99 Max and going to a 2002 hopefully soon.
I think my age has a lot to do with my desires. Im 19. I've had 2 maximas as my only 2 cars thus far. My '85 SE 5-speed was fun, but not fast enough(plus no aftermarket for them). My current '95 GLE Auto is much faster but isnt as solid, plus its a damn auto! My next car will definatley be a 5-speed. I want the Talon because it has AWD and a Turbo. It is running a 13.2 right now and if I add a FMIC, 20G turbo, upgrade the fuel system, ignition system and finish off the exhaust it should be in the low 12's. All that will cost me about what I have spent on my max and its still in the 16's. The trunk room is not an issue as I will have a custom sub box built to fill it completely for my 2 Kicker L7 12" subs. I am also going to compete in sound competitions and the hatch is one of the best for optimal SPL. I know that for most people on here they are looking for room, I want raw power and accoustics

Kirk