General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

4th gen transmission question (automatic)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 12:59 PM

4th gen transmission question (automatic)

I have a 99 SE automatic. I have observed that most of the times when I am accelerating hard, at the time 3 - 4 shift, the rpms suddenly go high and then down unlike in other shifts the rpms only go down. Its like the car goes to neutral and then shifts to the 4th. I have read post concerning this a while back and cannot find it (yes I know about the search feature and did use it)

Is this behaviour normal?? If not what should I do?
Old 10-31-2001, 01:06 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My 99 SE-L Auto doesn't do this. But I have read a TSB regarding that issue. If your car is still under warranty, tell Nissan about it. You may be entitled to a new VB or Transmission controller.

Bottom line, it's not normal.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: 4th gen transmission question (automatic)

Originally posted by dvpatel99se
I have a 99 SE automatic. I have observed that most of the times when I am accelerating hard, at the time 3 - 4 shift, the rpms suddenly go high and then down unlike in other shifts the rpms only go down. Its like the car goes to neutral and then shifts to the 4th. I have read post concerning this a while back and cannot find it (yes I know about the search feature and did use it)

Is this behaviour normal?? If not what should I do?
are u talking about the sudden rise in rpms when u press the o/d button? if this is so, most autos seem to have this occurence. i believe it was caused due to the unlocking of the torque convertor. it was discussed a while ago.. i remember that post...
Old 10-31-2001, 01:19 PM

Re: 4th gen transmission question (automatic)

Originally posted by mechanic

are u talking about the sudden rise in rpms when u press the o/d button? if this is so, most autos seem to have this occurence. i believe it was caused due to the unlocking of the torque convertor. it was discussed a while ago.. i remember that post...
No No No. Just normal driving. You press gas. Car shifts from 1 - 2, 2 -3 and then just at the time of the shift from 3 - 4 the rpms go up by about 250 - 350 and then down. No jerks no nothing. Just a rise in the rpms instead of the normal fall.

Where can I find the TSB?
Old 10-31-2001, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
My 99 SE-L Auto doesn't do this. But I have read a TSB regarding that issue. If your car is still under warranty, tell Nissan about it. You may be entitled to a new VB or Transmission controller.

i sent you a pm.. but your box is full.. anyway i was telling you i am shipping stuff on sat..
Old 10-31-2001, 01:30 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by SprintMax
i sent you a pm.. but your box is full.. anyway i was telling you i am shipping stuff on sat..
Thanks Sprint!

I guess I should empty my box
Old 11-01-2001, 05:54 AM

Thanks Sprint!

I guess I should empty my box
Any one else want to talk about their stuff and not the topic at hand??? No offense NJ and Sprint but you guys could have used a separate post. NJ thanx for replying too. Heck Since no one else posted I guess I might have to take the car in for a visit to the Friendly Nissan Dealer near my house
Old 11-01-2001, 07:26 AM

Actually, it is NORMAL. Every newer automatic car I've driven (include Toyotas) does this, except it is usually under light acceleration, not heavy acceleration like you describe. The reason why there is the slight bump in RPMs during the shift is because the engine retards timing slightly to smooth out the shift. If you don't like this, the VB mod should speed up the shift. But it's really nothing to worry about.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.

Actually, it is NORMAL. Every newer automatic car I've driven (include Toyotas) does this, except it is usually under light acceleration, not heavy acceleration like you describe. The reason why there is the slight bump in RPMs during the shift is because the engine retards timing slightly to smooth out the shift. If you don't like this, the VB mod should speed up the shift. But it's really nothing to worry about.
THanks Eric. That helps. If I floor the car it is okay. This happens if I do like a jack rabbit start from a complete stop. If I drive like an old lady the shifts are fine. I guess you know what I mean. Besides it doesn't happen all the time. And it is not a jerky shift so I had been ignoring it since I noticed it just a few days after I bought the car. I was just making sure that there wasn't any problem.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:01 AM
BlkCat

I think it is normal for an automagic. I've got a '98 SE auto and before getting Don's VB Mod I found that when accelerating hard while in 4th causes the tranny to hesitate for a second first before dropping down to 3rd gear. Found this out while trying to pass a Navigator on the freeway a while ago. With the VB Mod the shifting is a little more harsher but faster. I'd recommend getting the VB Mod if that shifting behaviour bothers you.

BlkCat
'98 Canadian SE Superblack auto
Stillen Body Kit
V2 Supercharged
Blitz DD Blow off valve
Don's VB Mod
B&M Supercooler
Koni Sports
Eibach Pro-kit
Courtesy FSTB & clear corners
Stillen RSB

To come:
DIN Boost Gauge
Dash kit
Rims & Tires

Old 11-01-2001, 10:00 AM

This same exact problem, or i guess it's not a problem, happens to my 98 automatic. i always felt that maybe the gear is slipping, but from what's been said...hopefully it's normal. it only happens when driving normally....when racing or flooring, there's is no lag between the gears. i plan on getting the vb mod soon (actually i ordered it in june from don and i haven't gotten it and have received no response to 2 emails sent this past week )....but that's another story. i feel a bit more comfortable now that there are some other people who are experiencing the same thing.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by sachin98max
This same exact problem, or i guess it's not a problem, happens to my 98 automatic. i always felt that maybe the gear is slipping, but from what's been said...hopefully it's normal. it only happens when driving normally....when racing or flooring, there's is no lag between the gears. i plan on getting the vb mod soon (actually i ordered it in june from don and i haven't gotten it and have received no response to 2 emails sent this past week )....but that's another story. i feel a bit more comfortable now that there are some other people who are experiencing the same thing.
you were part of that same group deal too?! i'm still waiting for my vb to get here!! its been a while...
Old 11-02-2001, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by sachin98max
WElcome to the club Sachin. Yes it is wierd and picky on when to do this and when not to. If you floor the car it is fine. If you drive it like a ***** it is fine. If you drive it a little more aggressively then it happens. But since it is normal I am fine.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:45 AM

WTF??

no idea what any of you are talking about.. this being normal?? are you all doing crack?

I had this problem 3 weeks ago... Then my 2-3 shift started to do this.. then my car would rev in first gear at a stop and catch and LURCH forward... well this past weekend my Service Engine Soon light came on. The car could barely do 40 without shaking and running at high RPMS.

I checked the diagnostic code (1107) and it said A/T failure, cluth plates, and 4th gear timing was off.

Took my car to Nissan on Monday. They checked it all, and came to the conclusion my transmission was shot. They found metal particles from the clutch plates in my RADIATOR. A whole new tranny was dropped in on wednesday and now the car is great again.

I have a 98 auto with 43k on it. I would recommend you get it checked, don't let it go like i did or you will be sorry and nervous as hell. Luckily it was a mechanical error in the tranny that they said sometimes happens, which is why there is a powertrain warranty up to 60k.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:55 AM

hrmmmm
Old 11-02-2001, 09:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: WTF??

Originally posted by thebigsadler
no idea what any of you are talking about.. this being normal?? are you all doing crack?

I had this problem 3 weeks ago... Then my 2-3 shift started to do this.. then my car would rev in first gear at a stop and catch and LURCH forward... well this past weekend my Service Engine Soon light came on. The car could barely do 40 without shaking and running at high RPMS.

I checked the diagnostic code (1107) and it said A/T failure, cluth plates, and 4th gear timing was off.

Took my car to Nissan on Monday. They checked it all, and came to the conclusion my transmission was shot. They found metal particles from the clutch plates in my RADIATOR. A whole new tranny was dropped in on wednesday and now the car is great again.

I have a 98 auto with 43k on it. I would recommend you get it checked, don't let it go like i did or you will be sorry and nervous as hell. Luckily it was a mechanical error in the tranny that they said sometimes happens, which is why there is a powertrain warranty up to 60k.

Jason, was this fixed under warranty? If not, how much did it cost you?

Jim
Old 11-02-2001, 09:43 AM

Re: WTF??

Originally posted by thebigsadler

Nope I aint doing crack that's y I posted this. But since more than one person said it is normal I thought it was normal. Now, does the friendly neighbourhood dealer have any way of testing this or do I have to wait till I get that code (1107)??? now this ****es me off. I only have 28.5 K miles on me car and I gotta get the tranny checked??? Ah well