General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got my place Racing mounts- and they don't fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 07:56 AM

Got my place Racing mounts- and they don't fit

Anyway, the front mount doesnt completely fit on to the crossmember. I'll probably just wind up forcing it on. As for the rear mount, the thing is almost 1/2 inches too wide fro the crossmember! WTF! I have a feeling the design of the crossmember must have changed sometime during the year. I think I should be able to correct it, by stacking up some washers and buying longer through bolts, I should be able to correct the problem. But 1/2" off??? Now I gotta resort to Jimmy Rigging with long bolts and washers...

My Nissan Maxima patience, both factory and moddability wise continutes to diminish. I'm probably going to sell this car right after I get it moving again.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Had problems with mine too.

I ordered them from directly from Place Racing. The first set I got were empty. The forgot to put the urethane in. I had two mounts with big 3" holes in them. So I sent them back and they filled them and sent them back to me. Then, when I started to put them on, mine wouldn't line up either. My car was in a front end collision when I bought it and the brace on the front of the engine that goes around the front mount was all mangled. After 3 hours of hammering, heating, pressing, bending, etc. it would finally fit. It took me abot 30 minutes to put the mounts themselves in. If it wasn't for that screwed up bracket on the front of the engine, it would have been cake. Doesn't explain why yours don't fit but I thought I'd share my motor mount experiences. Hope you get them on. I recommend turning your idle up to about 800 to deal with vibration at stoplights and stop signs.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:36 AM

I think you have them reversed?
Old 11-01-2001, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
I agree
Old 11-01-2001, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Nope, checked that. I do clumsy things sometimes, but I'm not that clumsy .... The P/R and factory mounts the front one is wider then the other. The narrower one theres no way it will fit onto the front crossmember, and the wider one just barely fits onto the front one. My P/R rear one is simply too wide for the crossmember without some sort of filler bushing and longer bolts. I took film pictures of the misfit and I will post them as soon as I get them developed and scanned.

The only explanations I can come up with is a) the crossmember shape changed during the years or b) these things are really engineered badly (engineering... what engineering??)
Old 11-01-2001, 11:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

I would have just urethaned my stockers. Consider it if you give up on these
Old 11-01-2001, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I would have just urethaned my stockers. Consider it if you give up on these
Jeff your knowledge of minimas is limited.. please go back to the 3rd Gen Forum
Old 11-01-2001, 12:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

I know and see all. thanks

Originally posted by SprintMax
Old 11-01-2001, 12:12 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by SprintMax

Old 11-01-2001, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Old 11-01-2001, 05:52 PM

mine fit PERFECTLY......hmm...and I have a '97 too. Maybe they sent your mounts for the wrong car????
Old 11-01-2001, 08:03 PM

That wouldn't surprise me, seeing as how they sent me an sentra CAI when I ordered mine
Old 11-01-2001, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by ereet
That wouldn't surprise me, seeing as how they sent me an sentra CAI when I ordered mine
I didn't know Cattman sold stuff for the sentra. I checked my receipt, and it says for "standard transmission". Maybe mine got mixed up with an auto.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong

I didn't know Cattman sold stuff for the sentra. I checked my receipt, and it says for "standard transmission". Maybe mine got mixed up with an auto.
he probably got his CAI directly from Place Racing....I'll bet Cattman did accidently send you the auto mounts.....my 5-speed mounts fit absolutely PERFECTLY...and I don't know of anyone else (who doesn't have frame damage) that has had a fitament problem....I'd shoot brian catts an e-mail
Old 11-01-2001, 10:41 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

thats interesting....
i juss got 2 sets of place racing mounts. The front one i had to modify because of my downpipe, the front mount didnt fit at first so we grinded down the mounts about 1/8" and it fits now. The rear one fit no prob.
these were the completely fabricated ones, how old are yours? before they had a core charge so i think they filled the stock mounts..now they are fabricated from scratch. Maybe the core was wrong, or they sent ones from a wrong car?

I matched up my auto and manual front/rear motor mounts and they are the same, I think the only difference in mounts is the trans mount.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:45 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

maybe your car is cursed Eric, im coming to belive that my motor project is cursed. You wont belive the time and probs ive had on this....your probs not as bad as mine dude...trust me.

Engine fire, wrong cam, broken cam, coolant leak, oil leak, broken mount, bad starter, engine not cranking, valve ticking, no oil pressure, the list goes on.....
Old 11-02-2001, 06:39 AM

My Turbo95Max Voodo Doll is working perfectly. Now for a little 11 second gris-gris.

Hard work pays off.
Patience is a virtue.
I'm gonna kill Murphy if I ever catch him!

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
maybe your car is cursed Eric, im coming to belive that my motor project is cursed. You wont belive the time and probs ive had on this....your probs not as bad as mine dude...trust me.

Engine fire, wrong cam, broken cam, coolant leak, oil leak, broken mount, bad starter, engine not cranking, valve ticking, no oil pressure, the list goes on.....
Old 11-02-2001, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
thats interesting....
i juss got 2 sets of place racing mounts. The front one i had to modify because of my downpipe, the front mount didnt fit at first so we grinded down the mounts about 1/8" and it fits now. The rear one fit no prob.
these were the completely fabricated ones, how old are yours? before they had a core charge so i think they filled the stock mounts..now they are fabricated from scratch. Maybe the core was wrong, or they sent ones from a wrong car?

I matched up my auto and manual front/rear motor mounts and they are the same, I think the only difference in mounts is the trans mount.
Mine are the completely fabricated ones. They are the ones that are offered now, only the crossmember mounts, not the upper ones.
Old 11-02-2001, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

he probably got his CAI directly from Place Racing....I'll bet Cattman did accidently send you the auto mounts.....my 5-speed mounts fit absolutely PERFECTLY...and I don't know of anyone else (who doesn't have frame damage) that has had a fitament problem....I'd shoot brian catts an e-mail
I ordered the CAI through someone other than Place Racing, but the error (ie, sentra cai instead of a maxima cai) was done by PR. My replacement CAI was sent directly from Place Racing, and the old one was sent back to them. So in an issue like this, Catts might not be at fault, it could be Place Racing..
Old 11-02-2001, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
mine fit PERFECTLY......hmm...and I have a '97 too. Maybe they sent your mounts for the wrong car????
was it difficult installing the motor mounts? how much different does the car feel after the install? does it help performance?
Old 11-03-2001, 01:40 AM

Are there Place Racing Mounts available for 4th gen automatics?