General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tips to Save GAS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:02 PM
STFU n00b!

Funny thing is that's full of BS.
I work in the oil industry, and that couldn't be farther from the truth. The major companies- Shell, Chevron-Texaco, Exxon-Mobil, BP, BHP, Phillips, Anadarko.. they all have their own refineries along the Gulf coast- mainly around Houston, southern Louisiana, and Mississippi. After refining, they pump it farther inland to their own distribution stations. Many of them use the same stations farther inland, but the trucks fill off different lines all plumbed into the same distro station. Each company has its own formulation and distillation process. Different companies also add different additives at the refinery and at the distribution stations, depending on their expected longevity in the tank.

In addition, unleaded gasoline can simply be mixed by percentages mixed to provide different octane ratings.
You don't go to a gas station and have 5 different tanks for 87,88,90,91,93 octane. They have 2 tanks underground. 87 and 93. When you push the button for 90 octane, you get 50% out of the 93 tank and 50% out of the 87 tank. it's as simple as that. two grades. (plus diesel).
Old 05-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I got that in an email about a week ago.

I've been doing #4 actually.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:48 PM

wow after reading this thread.....

i would NEVER turn my car off while driving down the road very silly idea of saving gas, if u want to save gas going down a hill put the car in nuetral, that way u dont lose braking power(dunno how ur ABS would be effected by the car being off but it cant be good), and power steering. if u are on the highway use ur AC will save more gas then opening ur windows especially if u are driving at 75+

but all of this ways combined u will be lucky to see 1 maybe 2 mpgs more. keep ur car in good running shape will save u maybe another 2-3mpgs if thats not enough, u have to remember these cars were designed in 93-94 gas was not an issue at that time the only other real solution is to park the max and get on the bus or buy another car
Old 05-11-2008, 02:10 PM

Idling your car actually uses more gas than zero throttle@3k rpm or so IIRC.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:40 PM
No More Maxipad

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Idling your car actually uses more gas than zero throttle@3k rpm or so IIRC.
got a question regarding that...my route to work has 2 train tracks and sometimes i'll catch a loooong slow moving train that can take 10-15 minutes to pass. should i leave the car running or turn it off? since i read turning on the car takes more gas than leaving it on idle or something like that.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:14 PM

I do not know how much gas it takes to start the car as opposed to idle, but if we are talking 15 minutes of idling it would be better to shut it off.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:32 PM
SuPeRmOd

If you know you'll sit 5 minutes or more shut it off.

once again coasting down hills in N is very bad for Auto Trannies.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's all about the conservation of energy. good posts.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:36 PM

Consumer Reports recently tested the theory that filling up in the morning gives more gas because colder gas is more condensed, and found it to be untrue.

They said that, although gas does expand when heated, the temp in all the underground storage tanks they measured stayed within a half degree or so of the same temp day and night. That is because the tanks are well below the surface, and not subject to the widely varying surface temps.

The only variation they found was that the temp in the underground tanks measured slightly higher for a short period immediately after a refueling truck had filled them.

By the way, I have received the postualtions listed in the original post via email attachment from several friends over the past six months. It is amazing how, once something makes it to the internet, proven or unproven, true or false, it never dies.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
I do not know how much gas it takes to start the car as opposed to idle, but if we are talking 15 minutes of idling it would be better to shut it off.
I have alway felt the same way, but hybrid cars shut off when stopped. So unless those engines are especially designed not to use additional fuel to restart, then it would be better to stop the car. Unless it's hot and you want to run the AC while you wait.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:53 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

If you're idling for more than 30 seconds it makes sense to turn your car off in terms of fuel savings. If you're going to be sitting stil for 5+ minutes why the hell would you leave your car on, idling?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:28 AM

If you fill up when you are half-full, you can also avoid some increases of gas prices (until next time you pump). So even if you look at it this way, instead of the gas evaporating, you will save money by beating the price increase. But then again, if for some rare chance they lower the price after you half-fill up, you lose out.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
proof/explanation?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by Hexon
If you fill up when you are half-full, you can also avoid some increases of gas prices (until next time you pump). So even if you look at it this way, instead of the gas evaporating, you will save money by beating the price increase. But then again, if for some rare chance they lower the price after you half-fill up, you lose out.

I've thought about that too... but I don't know. There's a cost to going out of your way to pull in to a gas station, turn off your engine, restart it, drive out, etc. Also, weight is a huge issue which I don't think has been discussed enough in this thread. Gas weighs how much? Like 8 lb/gal, so if you never go below half a tank, that's 64 lb you're always schlepping around.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:54 AM

interesting
Old 06-02-2008, 12:37 AM

The only way to save gas is to maintain it well for optimal performance. or to let it sit in the driveway and take the bus...LOL
Old 06-04-2008, 03:52 PM

Its already been said, but driving habits definately help the most i feel....I used accelerate quickly and always go at LEAST 10+ mph over the speed limit. With those habits, i got about between 20 and 22 mpg. Now i accelerate slowly, time my decelerations better, and travel the speed limit. I now get between 24 and 26 mpg. Not only am i saving on fuel, but i'm that much less likely to get a ticket
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 PM

Inevitably, we will spend. I think the social stigma attached to gas prices and their increase has influenced driving habbits/gas purchasing habits more than the actual price increases themselves. It's all subjective. If you have a Maxima, your first thought in purchasing the car was not to invest in a gas saver. And if you by some great oblivion forgot that gas prices are continually increasing while purchasing your Maxima, shame on you.

For those who can't afford it, are annoyed by the gas pricing, wish there was some miracle method to save 10-15mpg per tank or other non-sense, the Toyota Prius MSRP for ~$22k and get 46mph. I purchased my Maxima 6 months ago knowing gas was going to cost me $300/mo. But honestly, that $300/mo is well worth a very reliable, aesthetically sound vehicle that has moderately good after-market support and can leave many vehciles in the dust in its stock form. The practicality of the vehicle more than pays for itself in what I spend for gas.

As I said, it's subjective. I don't mind the gas prices because I knew I was going to pay. It's all a matter of what you are willing to sacrifice for what you're looking to get out of the vehicle. I get 26mpg and personally, for a 4dr full-size sedan with 255hp to the crank, I am satisfied. And if I ever have a rough financial month, I resort to public transportation/biking/or carpooling.

Be lucky we are not in Sweeden. $4.00/gal sounds a lot better than the THREE times that amount they are paying. I'm frankly tired of the social stigma associated with the rising gas prices and frankly they are more annoying than the $15/tank increase I have experienced in the last 6 months. Give up a bad spending habit, work an extra 4 hours a week, there are alternatives...

Sorry if the post seems ranty...people just need to chill (not directing this towards any members hear, I'm just aiming it at the general, worrisome public)

Last edited by MIK3; 06-04-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by maxdriver10
Its already been said, but driving habits definately help the most i feel....I used accelerate quickly and always go at LEAST 10+ mph over the speed limit. With those habits, i got about between 20 and 22 mpg. Now i accelerate slowly, time my decelerations better, and travel the speed limit. I now get between 24 and 26 mpg. Not only am i saving on fuel, but i'm that much less likely to get a ticket
I've been doin the same thing..this route keeps you out of trouble LOL
Old 06-05-2008, 11:12 AM
SuPeRmOd

so anyone try the homemade Hydrogen contraption yet? supposed to double your gas mileage. i have heard of a few people that have done it.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 AM
dot dot dot ...

so anyone try the homemade Hydrogen contraption yet? supposed to double your gas mileage. i have heard of a few people that have done it.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=558354
Old 06-10-2008, 10:38 AM
SuPeRmOd

like i'm brave enough to venture into that forum? i should ban you for not posing a WW or something
Old 06-16-2008, 08:25 PM

2) Try not to drive with windows down or sunroof open as this will only increase drag (rather extreme maneuver) also refrain from turning on the air conditioning or heat at all possible times.

In theory, this makes sense, but is it really noticeable?

consumer reports did a test with a new Toyota Camry, and recorded an average 1mpg loss with AC, and negligible losses with the windows down on the freeway.

- Moncef
Old 06-26-2008, 06:17 PM

Old 07-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I like the info .. ima try the gas think on my next fillup lol nd try to wake up at like 5 am !!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:32 PM
SuPeRmOd

the underground gas temp change is myth
Old 07-11-2008, 06:27 PM

Don't you get annoyed when everyone in front of you burns gas like it's $1 a gallon and the bicycle next to you is accelerating past you? Makes you wanna floor that pedal to 4-5rpm all the time.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:27 PM

You know that you're saving gas when you can't hear your loud exhaust and intake @ 61mph on the highway, the lying trip computer shows me constant 40mpg, and then drops into low 20's when I hit the city.

If you know you'll sit 5 minutes or more shut it off.
Probably true, a while ago after a 30 minute drive on the highway, I popped it in neutral to coast to the next light slightly downhill, and after putting it back in drive, something made a bang every time you moderately accelerated for a whole week.

Last edited by reeloop; 07-18-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Banned

don't drive, use public transportation, get on a bike. it's simple...
Old 07-24-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by maxilac99
i use to do 'arky overdrive' all the time. but someone told me that it takes more gas to start a vehicle than to let it run for ten or so minutes(?)
from what I have read in various places(no links sorry) it is more like 10-15 seconds. Starting up your car (when it has reached normal operating temp) uses up the same fuel as being idle for 10-15 seconds(on most FI cars).

On another note, I am getting 25mpg (75% street, 25% highway) on my 2000 maxima. I calculate it per fillup(divide the distance traveled by the amount filled up). I get around 30-35mpg on the highway as well. All of this is with 87 octane gas. Also, I have used some hypermiling techniques to achieve this, where before I would get 18mpg at best.

neither I, nor the hypermiling community is legally responsible for what you do to your vehicle. All of the following techniqes are ADVANCED TECHNIQUES and should only be done if you have enough experience with them, and after doing your own risk/benefits assessment. AGAIN: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Some clarifications on official hypermiling techniques: The hypermiling community does not condone closely following, or drafting a big rig. The risks far outweigh the benefits of doing this. We only condone turning off your engine and coasting (known as FAS or NICE-off coasting) if you have had enough experience using the other techniques and have practiced this technique in a closed lot or somewhere where you will not hurt anyone else. It is also recommended that you check if your car is flat-towable(which most automatics are not) with your cars manufacturer. The USUAL HYPERMILER recommendation on MAX tire pressure is the MAX SIDEWALL PRESSURE written on the tire. This is set by the tire manufacturer after running tests to see which is the maximum safe tire pressure. If your car has a ratio of tire pressure (like the fronts have to have 4 more PSI than the rear) you can set the tire that needs the higher number at max sidewall pressure. Since not all tires are built to the same quality, understand that there is a risk of having a ball in your tire by doing this, and that I am not legally responsible for this.We also do not condone rolling through stop lights or signs, it is just not worth the danger as well. We as a community do not want you to get a ticket or hurt yourself(or others) in order to get better gas mileage. Many of the techniques are ADVANCED TECHNIQUES THAT ARE NOT FOR BEGINNERS. You should also check your local laws to see if coasting in neutral is legal and if turning off your engine while on the road is legal.

visit cleanmpg.com and read the "beating the EPA" article for more ideas

oh, and on the whole fuel vapor thing. In California, regulators from some agency(forget which one it is) go to random gas stations to make sure that what the pump says is exactly what you are getting when you fill up(1 gallon on the pump = 1 gallon in your tank). the gas stations get fined if they are cheating you of your gas. So I think that the pumps may have some sort of correction that factors in any fuel lost to vaporization. If not then that means filling up quicker will net you less fuel lost to evaporization.

Last edited by Mr. Blue Sky; 07-24-2008 at 02:05 PM.