General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 02:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!

Ok today I decided to go to my local Nissan dealership to test drive the Maxima and Altima just to get a feel for the cars. The first place I went to had a 5sp Altima 3.5 SE but no 6sp Max's. So I got into the Altima jumped onto Rt 93 and redlined each gear up to 3rd till I ran out of highway due to traffic. The car redlined 3rd gear at 110-115. The highest speed I had the car up to was 125mph in 4th.
Overall first impressions, Nice car. I definitely liked the IRS,dual exhaust and the one touch up/down driver's and pass. doors. The car felt FAST.
I then went to another dealer where they had a 6sp Maxima SE . I was just anxious to feel what the Maxima could do after driving the Altima. Hell, practically the curbweights were identical. The Maxima was actually 1lb lighter. and with 15 more hp and one extra gear I expected the Maxima to really pin me to the seat. I pulled out of the dealer and onto Rt128 and nailed it up to 4th gear the car felt much slower than the Altima, much to my disappointment I just couldn't believe it,how could the Maxima be slower than the Altima. So in order to confirm my suspicion I asked this dealer if I could test drive a Altima 5sp 3.5 SE to compare the diff. and sure enough the Altima pulled harder thru every gear up to 120mph.
In the end I am very disappointed at the performance or should I say lack of performance of the 2K2 Maxima 6sp and am very impressed w/ the 5sp Altima. One thing I do have to say is that the Maxima interior is much more refined than the Altima.
Old 11-05-2001, 03:05 PM
PhatGuy

We need real track runs and dynos of both of these cars. Or a couple of runs against one another with good drivers.

Old 11-05-2001, 03:09 PM

Blah Blah Blah

You don't go for a Maxima for racing (well thats a side advantage); you go for the nice interior exterior look and feel. If you want speed go for a TA or something w/ power. Don't resort yourself to a car that will start having leprecy from the inside out. STF im drunk
Old 11-05-2001, 03:09 PM

I definitely agree. But I'm just shocked by the diff. in feel the Altima actually pulled hard when I slammed on the gas while the Maxima well.....sorry to say but felt like a turtle compared to the Altima. It just didn't pull at all. I was going 70 mph in 3rd gear punched it and the car didn't pull
Old 11-05-2001, 03:15 PM

well after looking at all of the #s people have come up with...the altima ISNT faster. so maybe it just FEELS like the altima is pulling harder.
Old 11-05-2001, 03:25 PM
I'm needing a caw

Makes you wonder if the hp differences Nissan claims 255hp vs 240hp, is real or not. From what I see(from the auto-show I just went to) the Altima engine has the VTC and dual intake lengths just like the maxima motor. The only differences left would be ecu or cams. When you think about it, it would be MORE expensive for Nissan to detune the Altima engine just so it wouldn't outperform it's big brother. I wouldn't be suprised if the Maxima and Altima dyno'd pretty close to each other.
Old 11-05-2001, 03:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!

Originally posted by BottleFedMax
Ok today I decided to go to my local Nissan dealership to test drive the Maxima and Altima just to get a feel for the cars. The first place I went to had a 5sp Altima 3.5 SE but no 6sp Max's. So I got into the Altima jumped onto Rt 93 and redlined each gear up to 3rd till I ran out of highway due to traffic. The car redlined 3rd gear at 110-115. The highest speed I had the car up to was 125mph in 4th.
Overall first impressions, Nice car. I definitely liked the IRS,dual exhaust and the one touch up/down driver's and pass. doors. The car felt FAST.
I then went to another dealer where they had a 6sp Maxima SE . I was just anxious to feel what the Maxima could do after driving the Altima. Hell, practically the curbweights were identical. The Maxima was actually 1lb lighter. and with 15 more hp and one extra gear I expected the Maxima to really pin me to the seat. I pulled out of the dealer and onto Rt128 and nailed it up to 4th gear the car felt much slower than the Altima, much to my disappointment I just couldn't believe it,how could the Maxima be slower than the Altima. So in order to confirm my suspicion I asked this dealer if I could test drive a Altima 5sp 3.5 SE to compare the diff. and sure enough the Altima pulled harder thru every gear up to 120mph.
In the end I am very disappointed at the performance or should I say lack of performance of the 2K2 Maxima 6sp and am very impressed w/ the 5sp Altima.
Just what I thought. I drove the Altima last week and knew it was going to be faster than the Max.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Makes you wonder if the hp differences Nissan claims 255hp vs 240hp, is real or not. From what I see(from the auto-show I just went to) the Altima engine has the VTC and dual intake lengths just like the maxima motor. The only differences left would be ecu or cams. When you think about it, it would be MORE expensive for Nissan to detune the Altima engine just so it wouldn't outperform it's big brother. I wouldn't be suprised if the Maxima and Altima dyno'd pretty close to each other.
If the Max actually does have more hp and is still slower, then the only explination would be that either the 6spd has a wider gear ratio or the final drive ratio is taller. What are the top speeds for both cars? I bet the Altimas is alot lower.....although that wouldnt really make sense because the 6spd should have closer gears...
Does the Max have bigger wheels?
Old 11-05-2001, 04:44 PM

Re: Blah Blah Blah

Originally posted by LaXor
You don't go for a Maxima for racing (well thats a side advantage); you go for the nice interior exterior look and feel. If you want speed go for a TA or something w/ power. Don't resort yourself to a car that will start having leprecy from the inside out. STF im drunk
2 b honest .. if you're going for nice interior exterior look & feel .. get a german car ... da-yamm ... I've just started getting my free subscriptions to euroTuner & Max Power that feature just euro cars ... da-yamm .. wish I had some $$$$
Old 11-05-2001, 05:04 PM

Was it an apples to apples comparison? In other words, were you either alone (or with a salesman) when you drove BOTH cars? If you drove the Altima by yourself and the Maxima with a "180lb plus" salesman by your side, you've got two different weights. Did both cars have premium unleaded? The dealership that had the Maxima may have "under-fueled" it with 87 octane. Perhaps this explains the difference.

I've driven the 4 cylinder, 5 spd Altima and it is quick, but I can't believe the Max 6 spd necessarily feels like a slug. In all fairness to the engineering lads at Nissan, the Altima represents the latest in Nissan engineering and available technolgy; whereas, the Maxima is just another production run of the 3 year old 5th generation. The question is what will the 6th generation SE be like? 260-280 bhp?

It wouldn't suprise me to see a lot of Nissan enthusiasts/Maxima drivers move into the Altima, especially once the after-market boys get their opportunity to tweak the car. A lowered, 4 cylinder 5 speed Altima "S" with air intake, FSTB, RSB, riding on 17" rims and performance tires is gonna be a really hot NEW car for $20-21k.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by red112fl
Was it an apples to apples comparison? In other words, were you either alone (or with a salesman) when you drove BOTH cars? If you drove the Altima by yourself and the Maxima with a "180lb plus" salesman by your side, you've got two different weights. Did both cars have premium unleaded? The dealership that had the Maxima may have "under-fueled" it with 87 octane. Perhaps this explains the difference.

I've driven the 4 cylinder, 5 spd Altima and it is quick, but I can't believe the Max 6 spd necessarily feels like a slug. In all fairness to the engineering lads at Nissan, the Altima represents the latest in Nissan engineering and available technolgy; whereas, the Maxima is just another production run of the 3 year old 5th generation. The question is what will the 6th generation SE be like? 260-280 bhp?

It wouldn't suprise me to see a lot of Nissan enthusiasts/Maxima drivers move into the Altima, especially once the after-market boys get their opportunity to tweak the car. A lowered, 4 cylinder 5 speed Altima "S" with air intake, FSTB, RSB, riding on 17" rims and performance tires is gonna be a really hot NEW car for $20-21k.
Well at the second dealer I drove both the Altima and Maxima w/ the salesman and my brother-in-law. So yes both cars had the same amount of weight in it. To even give the advantage to the Maxima, it was running on empty ( the low fuel warning light was on)
If you thought the 4 cyl. Alti was fast wait till you drive the 6 cyl. you will be IMPRESSED!
Old 11-05-2001, 05:33 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm not calling you a liar, but there is no way the Altima does 115mph in 3rd gear with a 5 speed. It's feasibly impossible. The new 3.5 VQ isn't the topend screamer like the 2000-2001 3.0 VQ. The 3.5 has a redline of ~6500rpms and only makes power to 5800rpms (just like the 4th gen VQ). The 1995-2001 3.0 VQ can only do 98mph in 3rd and the 2002 ALtima has the same gearing as the 1995-2001 Max, it's impossible to go any faster in 3rd unless the Altimas 3rd was able to wind out to ~8000rpms. I hope this makes sense. Technically, to get the Altima to run it's best at the track, you would shift out of 3rd at ~90-91mph because revving to 6500rpms is futile because there is no power to be made after 6000rpms.

Dave
Old 11-05-2001, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
I'm not calling you a liar, but there is no way the Altima does 115mph in 3rd gear with a 5 speed. It's feasibly impossible. The new 3.5 VQ isn't the topend screamer like the 2000-2001 3.0 VQ. The 3.5 has a redline of ~6500rpms and only makes power to 5800rpms (just like the 4th gen VQ). The 1995-2001 3.0 VQ can only do 98mph in 3rd and the 2002 ALtima has the same gearing as the 1995-2001 Max, it's impossible to go any faster in 3rd unless the Altimas 3rd was able to wind out to ~8000rpms. I hope this makes sense. Technically, to get the Altima to run it's best at the track, you would shift out of 3rd at ~90-91mph because revving to 6500rpms is futile because there is no power to be made after 6000rpms.

Dave
It's cool you don't have to believe it. But if by any chance you happen to be in Dedham Ma go and see Charlie the salesman at Clay Nissan. I'm sure he'll tell you a unbiased answer. Trust me when I say this I have no reason to BS. Just test drive one and you'll see for yourself.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:21 PM

Going by feel is not very reliable. Butt dyno's tend to be off 50%. We'll see what kind of ET's pop up soon.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Paul6speed
Going by feel is not very reliable. Butt dyno's tend to be off 50%. We'll see what kind of ET's pop up soon.
Thats what i was going to say.. a more refined car tends to seem slower.. drive a GS400 and a 540i or a E420 and you tell me how fast you think those are compared to a manual Integra.. In an Integra you'll feel like you keep pulling, but in a GS400 you dont feel the pull but if you look at the speedo, the car is pulling like none other.. just my 2 cents
Old 11-05-2001, 07:23 PM

Thats what i was going to say.. a more refined car tends to seem slower.. drive a GS400 and a 540i or a E420 and you tell me how fast you think those are compared to a manual Integra.. In an Integra you'll feel like you keep pulling, but in a GS400 you dont feel the pull but if you look at the speedo, the car is pulling like none other..
Old 11-05-2001, 07:47 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
Thats what i was going to say.. a more refined car tends to seem slower.. drive a GS400 and a 540i or a E420 and you tell me how fast you think those are compared to a manual Integra.. In an Integra you'll feel like you keep pulling, but in a GS400 you dont feel the pull but if you look at the speedo, the car is pulling like none other.. just my 2 cents
agreed, my new maxima is much more refined than my old one. while it feels somewhat faster when you look at the speedo it is much faster. it's more refined and quieter. plus the gearing in the maxima is much shorter. i can't wait till december 2nd to get some ET's. down goes the altima and it's $hitty interior.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:52 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Still, some Maxima owners can't face the truth that there is no advantage to the 6 speed other than a much needed 6th gear super overdrive.

Dave
Old 11-05-2001, 07:58 PM

Huh?

Didn't you see my thread on this?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=76077

Also, for the Maxima 5 speed's... you are still short on HP and TQ. And the Maxima has the extra 15 HP over the Altima.

Originally posted by Dave B

Still, some Maxima owners can't face the truth that there is no advantage to the 6 speed other than a much needed 6th gear super overdrive.

Dave
Old 11-05-2001, 08:14 PM

Huh?

Also, for the Maxima 5 speed's... you are still short on HP and TQ. And the Maxima has the extra 15 HP over the Altima.

ya there is an advantage that other gears ARE shorter and it should make a difference.
Old 11-05-2001, 08:24 PM
My 4DSC

Well at the second dealer I drove both the Altima and Maxima w/ the salesman and my brother-in-law. So yes both cars had the same amount of weight in it. To even give the advantage to the Maxima, it was running on empty ( the low fuel warning light was on)
If you thought the 4 cyl. Alti was fast wait till you drive the 6 cyl. you will be IMPRESSED!
I don't know of too many car salesmen that would let you drive 115 mph during a test drive....

Old 11-05-2001, 09:06 PM

As of tonight I have now test drive BOTH the 6-speed max and 5-speed altima. ok...I absolutely love the new 6-speed max...you sit in it..and it feels just like my buddies 2000 SE....seats are great...interior is great. then you put your hand on the shifter and it gets even better!! I absolutely love the new gearbox...the shifts are nice and crisp and the shifter feels great in your hand. After driving both the altima and maxima...there is no descernable difference in acceleration. the only thing I did notice is that the Altima throttle is VERY touchy...making it easy to accidentally rev to 3K while engaging first gear....the max also seems smoother and quieter than the Altima...as for handling...I don't care what anyone says about how great the IRS is on the altima...I like the cornering of the max MUCH better.....lets just say after driving the max tonight I'm not spending any more money on mods...and by this time next year....I'll have a 6-speed max
Old 11-05-2001, 10:00 PM

Yeah, the Altima may have stiffer suspension. I remember riding in a newer Rustang and even though it has no *****, it feels like it does because of the sporty ride.
Old 11-05-2001, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by AdMax98

Yeah, the Altima may have stiffer suspension. I remember riding in a newer Rustang and even though it has no *****, it feels like it does because of the sporty ride.
your car is now crying for clears
Old 11-05-2001, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by My 4DSC

I don't know of too many car salesmen that would let you drive 115 mph during a test drive....
That's if they are in the car. I did my test drive without the salesperson and it was hard to keep the car under 85. I beat on the car (Altima) to see what it had and it was nice.
Old 11-05-2001, 10:11 PM

your car is now crying for clears
Yeah yeah, Im gonna get them next payday just to make all of you shut up :P
Old 11-06-2001, 04:29 AM

Originally posted by AdMax98

A rear beam suspension is actually better for accleration and drag strip. why do you think people KILL for older rear beam vettes and the bullitt mustang is a rear beam. add a FSTB and a RSB and you'll be all set with the new max. and BRI, I also LOVE the gearbox, it's smooth, no vibration. After reading the scathing reports on the altima one is it true????? I'm more than happy with my maxima, the new altima with all the same option would prolly have cost as much and is much less comfy and refined.
Old 11-06-2001, 05:50 AM
RussMaxManiac

I noticed the same exact thing when I drove the auto forms of each car. But others here argued the fact that the Maxima was faster. Well it wasn't. Sorry. The Maxima did not lay me back into the seat like the Altima did.

Old 11-06-2001, 05:51 AM
RussMaxManiac

Tell you the truth Paul, until someone dynos, we have no proof of that. They both could be the same HP like GM did with the vette and fbodys.

Huh?

Old 11-06-2001, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by My 4DSC

Well buddy I'm not sure what you're trying to say but if you're calling me a liar why don't you come here to MA and I'll even let you pick a dealer of your choice and I will go in there and get a test drive with you and given enough highway I will hit top speed in it. But if not the least I will do is go over 115 to prove you wrong. Are you game?
Oh also don't think 115 is all that fast. I test drove a GS400 last year to 145 mph on Rt95 if you don't believe it give Lexus of Norwood a call the salesman name was JR. Just ask him if he remembers test driving a blk GS400 with a asian guy up to 145 mph. He even stated that I should slow down because the car shuts down in another 5 mph due to the speed limiter.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:24 AM

Re: Re: Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
I noticed the same exact thing when I drove the auto forms of each car. But others here argued the fact that the Maxima was faster. Well it wasn't. Sorry. The Maxima did not lay me back into the seat like the Altima did.
Thank you! Those who argue that the Altima is slower than the Maxima has either A) never test drove the 2 cars or B) Just can't accept the fact that a Altima (lower line car ) is faster than the Maxima ( Nissan Flagship)
Old 11-06-2001, 06:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!

Thank you! Those who argue that the Altima is slower than the Maxima has either A) never test drove the 2 cars or B) Just can't accept the fact that a Altima (lower line car ) is faster than the Maxima ( Nissan Flagship)
Are you still considering a Lexus?
Old 11-06-2001, 07:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!

Originally posted by AndyXXL

Are you still considering a Lexus?
Yeah but I'm kinda like you. I can't make up my mind for sure. With winter here I'm also thinking about a SUV but I also have a ned for speed so
Old 11-06-2001, 07:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!

Yeah but I'm kinda like you. I can't make up my mind for sure. With winter here I'm also thinking about a SUV but I also have a ned for speed so
Then the BMW X5 4.4 or 4.6 will fill in the criteria for a SUV with performances!
Old 11-06-2001, 07:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!

Originally posted by Ken

Then the BMW X5 4.4 or 4.6 will fill in the criteria for a SUL with performances!
No SUVs man. BTW, X5 has 3.0 and 4.4 litre engines.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:25 AM

No SUVs man. BTW, X5 has 3.0 and 4.4 litre engines.
The X5 is actually a SAV and comes in three flavors 3.0, 4.4, and the new 4.6is with 340 hps. Here is a link for you www.bmwusa.com You're behind times my friend.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!

Originally posted by Ken

The X5 is SAV and and come in three flavors 3.0, 4.4, and the new 4.6is. Here is a link for you www.bmwusa.com You're behind times my friend.
pffft...I realized BMWs are way overpriced, no need for me to own that car.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:46 AM

re: Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!

pffft...I realized BMWs are way overpriced, no need for me to own that car.
Some models are overpriced and a few is just right! You get what you pay for! It's hard not to like the BMWs once you get to drive or own one.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:58 AM
My 4DSC

Well buddy I'm not sure what you're trying to say but if you're calling me a liar why don't you come here to MA and I'll even let you pick a dealer of your choice and I will go in there and get a test drive with you and given enough highway I will hit top speed in it. But if not the least I will do is go over 115 to prove you wrong. Are you game?
Oh also don't think 115 is all that fast. I test drove a GS400 last year to 145 mph on Rt95 if you don't believe it give Lexus of Norwood a call the salesman name was JR. Just ask him if he remembers test driving a blk GS400 with a asian guy up to 145 mph. He even stated that I should slow down because the car shuts down in another 5 mph due to the speed limiter.
calm down, relax, start breathing...

Old 11-06-2001, 08:00 AM

Re: re: Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!

Originally posted by Ken

Some models are overpriced and a few is just right! You get what you pay for! It's hard not to like the BMWs once you get to drive or own one.
See, I would never buy a low end BMW just because it's a BMW. I better save for a high end vehicle such as M5. I didn't say I would never buy a BMW, I will, but not in the near future.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!