General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Test Drove a 2K2 Maxima 6sp and 2K2 Altima 5sp:Shocking Discovery!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Bottle:
It is FLAT OUT IMPOSSIBLE that the Altima can do 115 in 3rd with a 5 speed. The gear ratio and redline limit the car to ~98-100mph in 3rd. If you were talking about an automatic, then I wouldn't doubt your claim. BUT since it's a 5 speed, it's impossible. Sorry.
According to Car and Driver this month, the Altima's speedo is *wildly* optimistic. It is entirely possible that an indicated 115 was ~100 mph if the speedo is as inaccurate as they say.

BMWs do this as well to make you think the car is faster than it really is.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: red light to red light speed, different than top speed

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Are you saying that it couldn't go past 130 or that it was limited? Which is it? Are you saying that it didn't have enough power to get over 130?

[/b]

By "us" I meant the people on this forum. It is a well known fact that the 2k+ 5spd SE with 17" wheels is not limited. Try searching the forum instead of attacking me.

[/b]

Top speed is 140, at least that is what Nissan puts in its manual and what C&D says:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...lass=44&page=3)

I have not pushed it to its ultimate top speed because I've always run out of room but plenty here have. Again try searching the forum. I've been in the mid-120s several times both stock and with mods and could have easily passed 130. Maybe you drove a dud.

Whatever reason you have for not buying a 2k that's fine - although it is too bad you made your decision based on an incorrect conclusion. [/B]
This is why I am listed as "newbie" because I do not have the time to sit here and go back and forth with someone trying to explain and answer everything I post on here. I bet if I sat here and responded to every post I read on here with just 1-3 words, like so many people do, I would be listed as "living in max" or something along those lines also! I tried a search before I posted any questions. I guess I, like so many others need guidance in this area. The '89 max simply ran out of HP, and was not limited. Why is it that people feel they are attacked when they are confronted by some else's opinion? You like what you have and I like what I have. This does not make it an attack on you or anyone else. If it has been discussed before, then simply put up the link to the proper forum or suggest a direction I should search. Do not just say "It's been discussed here before", try finding it. You and so many others seem to do that. I guess I should have been like so many others and initiated my post with "I'VE SEARCHED", but since I'm "new" to this I thought that "2k maxima top speed" "2k maxima revlimiter" "revlimiter" "top speed" would be sufficient to find what I wanted. It obviously was not! It got me a chastisement and another wasted 20 minutes answering a crybaby who feels like he is being attacked!
Old 11-09-2001, 10:01 PM

hmm....

anyone ever drove a S500 before??? well...i have...and i can floor that ***** to like 100+ feeling like i am going 65....what does that say????? =P
Old 11-09-2001, 10:13 PM

Why does everyone here always pick on "newbies"?

Just listen up guys:

1) We should welcome fellow Max owners into the .Org community instead of shunning them. The stronger this community is, the more likely it is that we get phat mods in the future because people out there will have a better appreciation of the Maxima and it's loyal owners.

2) For those of you guys who've been around for a while, why do you guys always act like a bunch of ****** when some newbie asks a question? If you know the answer, then just spit it out instead of acting so elitist all the time...geez.

3) Anyone whose ever used the web knows how varied search engines are. Today I tried to search for a thread that was only one day old with the word "Evo" (in reference to some guys post on Mille Miglia Evo's in the 5th Gen forum)...It took me 3 searches to get the thread that I wanted...and that's already knowing what thread I wanted...every search engine has it's flaws...just be a pal and help these guys out.

Just my view...I'm a college student so my perspective might be biased cuz I wish some of my damn professors would just help me out and teach me some stuff instead of telling me to go read the book or go look it up. Anyways...
Old 11-10-2001, 01:33 AM

Altima

myself and Sx7r test drove the New 5spd 3.5L altima, the car doesn't pull worth crap on the top end.
Old 11-10-2001, 05:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NJ_MAX2000
Why does everyone here always pick on "newbies"?

Just listen up guys:

1) We should welcome fellow Max owners into the .Org community instead of shunning them. The stronger this community is, the more likely it is that we get phat mods in the future because people out there will have a better appreciation of the Maxima and it's loyal owners.

2) For those of you guys who've been around for a while, why do you guys always act like a bunch of ****** when some newbie asks a question? If you know the answer, then just spit it out instead of acting so elitist all the time...geez.

3) Anyone whose ever used the web knows how varied search engines are. Today I tried to search for a thread that was only one day old with the word "Evo" (in reference to some guys post on Mille Miglia Evo's in the 5th Gen forum)...It took me 3 searches to get the thread that I wanted...and that's already knowing what thread I wanted...every search engine has it's flaws...just be a pal and help these guys out.

Just my view...I'm a college student so my perspective might be biased cuz I wish some of my damn professors would just help me out and teach me some stuff instead of telling me to go read the book or go look it up. Anyways...
I'M NOT PICKING ON THE NEWBIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My original answer to his question was to "trust us - the 5spd SE with 17" wheels is not speed limited."

I'm always willing to share info with people and resort only to "search the forum" when someone acts like a jerk to me.
Old 11-10-2001, 05:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: red light to red light speed, different than top speed

Originally posted by UndercoverMax

This is why I am listed as "newbie" because I do not have the time to sit here and go back and forth with someone trying to explain and answer everything I post on here. I bet if I sat here and responded to every post I read on here with just 1-3 words, like so many people do, I would be listed as "living in max" or something along those lines also! I tried a search before I posted any questions. I guess I, like so many others need guidance in this area. The '89 max simply ran out of HP, and was not limited. Why is it that people feel they are attacked when they are confronted by some else's opinion? You like what you have and I like what I have. This does not make it an attack on you or anyone else. If it has been discussed before, then simply put up the link to the proper forum or suggest a direction I should search. Do not just say "It's been discussed here before", try finding it. You and so many others seem to do that. I guess I should have been like so many others and initiated my post with "I'VE SEARCHED", but since I'm "new" to this I thought that "2k maxima top speed" "2k maxima revlimiter" "revlimiter" "top speed" would be sufficient to find what I wanted. It obviously was not! It got me a chastisement and another wasted 20 minutes answering a crybaby who feels like he is being attacked!
If you want answers to questions, you ought to try asking them without coming off as an a-s-s.