General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Model of the 4th gen and 5th gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Model of the 4th gen and 5th gen Maxima

It has been a question posed to me quite a few times in the past and I know its been discussed here as well. I may finally have a way of getting some models made of the 4th and 5th gen Maximas. These wouldn't be some cheap models carved by some guy that kinda-sorta look like the Maxima, the original will be manufactured from detailed CAD drawings of the exterior of the Maxima. Pieces sold will be cast from molds created from original piece.

I really need people to understand that there is no real support for a project like this and pieces WILL be expensive. Getting the CAD drawings, getting it produced from the CAD drawings, making molds and finally producing the parts is an expensive process. The prototyping from the drawings will cost thousands alone.

IF produced, these will truly be LIMITED EDITION as I'm sure there will not be enough interest or funds to make another run (molds do wear out as they are used and need to be re-done).

A conservative guess at final pricing would be $100/pc. It would be an unpainted piece made of casting resin (Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the actual material to give a better description) at approximately 1/18th scale of stock 4th or 5th gen Maxima's. (No interior)

You can paint the pieces as you like to match your car and personally I was going to create mods for myself as add-ons to try to match my car better. I was thinking of cutting off the wheels and attaching rims/tires from RC or model cars as well.

These will be solid pieces and not 'rolling' models. You can probably make it so by doing what I mentioned and cutting off the wheels and drilling a hole to put some kind of axle through.

For those that collect model cars, I understand this may not be the best material for a model car but this was the cheapest way I can try to get one manufactured. Die-cast or ABS plastic would have been WAY more and there definitely are not enough people here who would want it to make it affordable.

I am starting this thread to try to gauge interest on if this is a worthwhile project, to see if there are people who actually want this and are willing to pay for it.
Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 AM
The Golden One

Partial interest pending I see pictures of a prototype.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Prototype won't happen unless the project starts. It will look like a stock Maxima. Best I can do is to try to get some shots of the CAD drawings eventually.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'd rather play with the real thing.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:22 AM

^co-sign.

If a model could be produced for the 4th and 5th I'm sure most wouldnt want a stock version. then the debate kicks in of what it should look like, what visual additions etc It will just get messy.... so I speculate.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor

stock is the best place to start I think simply because of all the variations. I plan on 'modding' mine if it happens.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:18 AM

4th gens need a stillen lip kit if im going to buy it! and a drop for christ sake
Old 07-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

I can't make a model that will have mods everyone will like. As modders, I would think these are things we can do to it, like we've done with our cars to make them unique. As I mentioned, I plan on modding mine if it happens. A stillen lip would be much easier to do than the skyline kit that I have on my car. A drop can be done when replacing the wheels, I imagine.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:26 PM

They sell axle pieces with different style wheels on ebay for ~$10, all that would need to be done is drill through the piece and install the new wheels.as far as the drop drill the slots high enough into the piece to make for a lowered look.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Administrator

I'd pay $100 for a nice diecast Maxima with interior, ie dead-on replica, but not a 'resin' one that I have to paint and doesn't have an interior.

I'd add more later....
Old 07-08-2008, 02:37 PM

i ditto The Wizard... i'd buy a good one for sure!
Old 07-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can you show us examples of other cars you've done?
BTW, I think it's conservatively safe to say a 4th and 5th gen SE with fogs and spoiler, clear corners, charcoal headlights and tails, lowered on eibachs and conservative Stillen body kit. Oh yeah, Greddy exhaust. Those are pretty much mods that everybody has.

I mean, even for hot import nights, minimum mods they want to see are lowered, wheels, and exhaust. Pretty safe to say most of us have those mods already.

Dr J

Last edited by ThurzNite; 07-08-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

I can completely understand and agree with what people are saying about wanting die cast but as I was trying to explain in my first post, there just isn't the support there to create an affordable die cast model, which would explain why there isn't one already. To get that done would be well out of my means, even with enough people 'interested', the final price would be extremely high. I am just trying to offer a means of getting a model of our cars at a fairly reasonable price. To get a die-cast one made in a small quantity would put the cost well over $100/pc. I think I approached a company a few years ago about this and it would have been over $1000/pc.. LOL, definitely not do-able. I'd love to get a die-cast one. I'd buy it in a heartbeat but after all the trying the Maxima community has done over the years, it doesn't look like it'll be taken on by the die-cast making companies out there.

Looking at the silver lining in a resin model would be mod-ability of the exterior. You can paint it to match, make your own exterior mods, easily change wheels, etc.

This isn't for everyone.. I suppose it'll be for those die-hard Maxima enthusiasts who want a 'limited edition' model of their cars.

I haven't done any yet, I do not make them myself, I am basically pulling a few favors from manufacturers to try to get this done 'affordably'.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I'd pay $100 for a nice diecast Maxima with interior, ie dead-on replica, but not a 'resin' one that I have to paint and doesn't have an interior.

I'd add more later....
What he said......
Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaxMoJo
I can completely understand and agree with what people are saying about wanting die cast but as I was trying to explain in my first post, there just isn't the support there to create an affordable die cast model, which would explain why there isn't one already. To get that done would be well out of my means, even with enough people 'interested', the final price would be extremely high. I am just trying to offer a means of getting a model of our cars at a fairly reasonable price. To get a die-cast one made in a small quantity would put the cost well over $100/pc. I think I approached a company a few years ago about this and it would have been over $1000/pc.. LOL, definitely not do-able. I'd love to get a die-cast one. I'd buy it in a heartbeat but after all the trying the Maxima community has done over the years, it doesn't look like it'll be taken on by the die-cast making companies out there.

Looking at the silver lining in a resin model would be mod-ability of the exterior. You can paint it to match, make your own exterior mods, easily change wheels, etc.

This isn't for everyone.. I suppose it'll be for those die-hard Maxima enthusiasts who want a 'limited edition' model of their cars.

I haven't done any yet, I do not make them myself, I am basically pulling a few favors from manufacturers to try to get this done 'affordably'.

I'm getting the feeling this isn't going to get done because people don't understand that I'm only trying to do this because others and myself included have been unsucessful at getting big companies or anyone for that matter to consider making an affordable die-cast version of the 4th and 5th gen.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:07 PM
You embarrass me.

Do you have a picture of what a similar type model would look like? I'm a fan of full die-cast models with full interior, especially stock. No mods needed. However, I would like to see a resin sample.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 PM

I definitely wouldn't pay $100 for a resin model that's not even painted.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Do you have a picture of what a similar type model would look like? I'm a fan of full die-cast models with full interior, especially stock. No mods needed. However, I would like to see a resin sample.
Not a great example but something I found real quick:

Ours wouldn't have an interior so the windows would be solid and the wheels would be resin too. But can be cut off and replaced like in this one.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:32 AM
Banned

http://www.zcorp.com/ <--my buddy works here and we've used there product before for prototypes. alot cheaper then what you're looking into unless i'm mistaken. give them a ring. i'v seen them print movable ***** inside of square boxes if that makes any sense...as well as a bunch of other amazing stuff...
Old 07-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the lead, I will contact them to compare pricing.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:08 PM

hey maxmolo, i would gladly pay 100.00 if thats the shipped price, being as i do collect diecast models and would love to get 1 of my max. my favorite car ever, i have a mousepad with a picture of my car as well as i made cover of the 08 maxima calender. so, definitley would love to see this go into production even if only for awhile. keep us updated on the progress, i'll be eager to see how the finished car looks!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

any luck with zcorp?
as i said we used there stuff alot and it wasn't pricey...
Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Former Sponsor

No response yet.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 AM

found one on ebay of the 3rd gen:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultra-Rare-Nissa...ayphotohosting

but i doubt it'd be "quality" but hell it's $.99
Old 07-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Yea, there's always been 3rd gen ones and now the 6th gen.. no 4th or 5th gen ever.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by sublime258
I definitely wouldn't pay $100 for a resin model that's not even painted.
i was looking for die cast models of maximas in a hobby store one time... but $100 is more than im willing to pay 4 it
Old 07-22-2008, 08:04 PM

^^^ you gonna be at the philly meet on the 3rd???? and i would pay 100.00, as long as its thick resin, and detailed.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I'd want a stock 5th minus the 4x4 look. but for godsake have an interior and make as nice as possible and as much detail as possible