General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

250 $ ticket yesterday for my tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:24 AM

250 $ ticket yesterday for my tint

Well it looks like i my need to have my max retinted i got hit with a 250 $ fine
yesterday the good news is my wifes aunt is a worcester ma cop 25 yesrs
i gave her a call and she's going to fix it for me nice but i will need to go from 20% to 35 i hate mass
Old 07-10-2008, 06:02 AM

man that good you got it fixed . Here in Louisiana is is 40% so be thank full you can go that dark
Old 07-10-2008, 06:46 AM

250? Dang! That's like a tank of gas! (looking to the future)
Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 AM

WOW, did they tint you for each window?!

i heard they started to do that now
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 AM

Dude,

Don't get me started on tickets...

The wife got 3 tickets totaling $450..apparently the cop that pulled her over had a quota to meet.

Worst part is, one ticket is for obtructing the licenseplate (she has a bluish/purple mazda 3) and the cover is the same colour just lighter (completely legal, otherwise I would not put them on).

Another one is for failing to stop on a red light (the intersection is tiny, she was doing 65 (km/h...in Toronto) and the light changed when she was about 4 feet away from her, so stopping was not an option

Last but not least, Failing to have current insurance (FYI -> her insurance is valid until May/09, and this A-Hole is telling her that since it's July she has to have 12 months valid at ALL TIMES!!...

pretty crazy..don't you guys think??

anyways...went to court, set a date...will see the @SShole cop in a few months...if he even shows

Last edited by bushness; 07-10-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:51 AM
MAXIN' ON

Ive already been warned once for my car but have been lucky not to get a ticket. Hope it holds out until I trade it in next year.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dont get me started on the tint issue. Law enforcement claims that untinted front windows is for "officer safety" which is total BS since law abiding citizens roll their wind down; if they dont then something is awry. Even if it was for "officer safety", states are inconsistent with laws. So, if you are from Arizona and have tint on ur window and you drive in California where tint is illegal, you are subject to a ticket.
By the way, if you look at my signature, you can see that the tint on front window is lighter than the rear, yet I have been stopped, SOLELY for tint (and then he did the "shopping list" on me). I dont believe light tint is unreasonable on front windows. You can still see in pretty easily, it doesnt affect visibility too much, and it still looks decent.

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 07-10-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by bushness
Dude,

The wife got 3 tickets totaling $450..apparently the cop that pulled her over had a quota to meet.

Worst part is, one ticket is for obtructing the licenseplate (she has a bluish/purple mazda 3) and the cover is the same colour just lighter (completely legal, otherwise I would not put them on).

Another one is for failing to stop on a red light (the intersection is tiny, she was doing 65 (km/h...in Toronto) and the light changed when she was about 4 feet away from her, so stopping was not an option

Last but not least, Failing to have current insurance (FYI -> her insurance is valid until May/09, and this A-Hole is telling her that since it's July she has to have 12 months valid at ALL TIMES!!...

anyways...went to court, set a date...will see the @SShole cop in a few months...if he even shows
Hi!

Man I feel your pain. That's precisely the reason I moved out of Ontario in 1987 and moved back to Quebec. Ontario and especially Toronto are police states where the cops can do anything they want and they do. During the first summer of 1984 my then new car, a 1984 Chevy Celebrity in the then popular Champagne colour (company car) I almost had my license revoked. I had a total of nine speeding tickets during a two year span most of which were the during the summers driving in Toronto and the 401 (back to visit my friends and family in Montreal)! Most were on the 401 for doing 120 KPH in a 100 zone that 's like doing 74 MPH in a 62. What a laugh...no one ever gets stopped except maybe in Ohio and Northern NY State on the highway for that. Certainly most places will tolerate 75.
Once I got a ticket for doing 15KPh in a 10KPH! That was while driving to breakfast in High Park! The guy riding the 10 speed bike was going faster than I was....that was the straw. Once I got a ticket for doing 5kph over in a60 zone! That's 3mph over!

They BS regarding the insurance is just that BS...I would fight that because most insurance policies are automatically renewable unless you cancel (by writing).

Last December I was waiting for the light to change here in downtown Montreal while looking for a parking space to go Xmas shopping. There was a cop sitting at the light and had been there for a while looking for something to do...well you guessed it...he pulled me over to complain about my front tints as they just passed a new law here...had to have them removed. I needed to go to the CAA (AAA) to have it inspected which cost about $130 even as a member! There was no fine however I had a 48 hour notice so I had to drop everything and do this less than 3 weeks before XMAS! The CAA send the report directly to the police. The people at the CAA are so **** that they actually checked my bare window (after the tint was removed elsewhere) with a special light meter. And of course instead of just signing the F-ing form and letting me sign it I had to wait 2 hours for this horse's rear to do this! I mean seriously you could tell it was back to factory...you don't need a degree in frigin rocket science to figure this out for X sakes! BTW your plate stays in the police computers so if you have any illusions of redoing it ...wrong!

You can ask the judge to change your ticket to a warning but make sure you show the paper work (certificate) from the CAA that it was done.

As far as the traffic light is concerned...that's a tough one...you could plead it and ask if the cop was parked where he had thorough visiblity and could clearly determine that your car was a the line after the light went yellow so if the cop doesn't show up be prepared to defend your case and stick to your version....remember your version is: I had already passed the line.....when it changed.

As far as my law enforcement friends are concerned: I mean no disrespect to any of you that are members here. I know that you have the toughest and most dangerous job that there is out there especially in a big city like TO (Toronto) however I feel that sometimes you need to cut people some slack...used to be that way you know....and sometimes it still is. Unless someone is blatantly driving excessivley fast and dangerous, giving tickets is just a additional tax grab. This past week-end I drove to Ottawa for the
Blues Fest to see Steely Dan...that's about 1.5 hour drive...We saw 3 groups of 9 cop cars on the 417 from Montreal to Ottawa and not one on the Quebec side! Including one that was traveling in the opposite direction and when he spotted my car he did a U turn on the highway to sneek up on me to see what speed I was doing....Luckily I had the cruise on 118 and was able to slow down to 108...which made stopping me pointless...so he headed back the otherway again. I mean that just mean....he also drove right next to me and noticed my wife and daughter sleeping in the car. So he figured he would nail someone else for more $. That's not "Serving and Protecting" anyone...that's just harrassement!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Hi!

Man I feel your pain. That's precisely the reason I moved out of Ontario in 1987 and moved back to Quebec. Ontario and especially Toronto are police states where the cops can do anything they want and they do. During the first summer of 1984 my then new car, a 1984 Chevy Celebrity in the then popular Champagne colour (company car) I almost had my license revoked. I had a total of nine speeding tickets during a two year span most of which were the during the summers driving in Toronto and the 401 (back to visit my friends and family in Montreal)! Most were on the 401 for doing 120 KPH in a 100 zone that 's like doing 74 MPH in a 62. What a laugh...no one ever gets stopped except maybe in Ohio and Northern NY State on the highway for that. Certainly most places will tolerate 75.
Once I got a ticket for doing 15KPh in a 10KPH! That was while driving to breakfast in High Park! The guy riding the 10 speed bike was going faster than I was....that was the straw. Once I got a ticket for doing 5kph over in a60 zone! That's 3mph over!

They BS regarding the insurance is just that BS...I would fight that because most insurance policies are automatically renewable unless you cancel (by writing).

Last December I was waiting for the light to change here in downtown Montreal while looking for a parking space to go Xmas shopping. There was a cop sitting at the light and had been there for a while looking for something to do...well you guessed it...he pulled me over to complain about my front tints as they just passed a new law here...had to have them removed. I needed to go to the CAA (AAA) to have it inspected which cost about $130 even as a member! There was no fine however I had a 48 hour notice so I had to drop everything and do this less than 3 weeks before XMAS! The CAA send the report directly to the police. The people at the CAA are so **** that they actually checked my bare window (after the tint was removed elsewhere) with a special light meter. And of course instead of just signing the F-ing form and letting me sign it I had to wait 2 hours for this horse's rear to do this! I mean seriously you could tell it was back to factory...you don't need a degree in frigin rocket science to figure this out for X sakes! BTW your plate stays in the police computers so if you have any illusions of redoing it ...wrong!

You can ask the judge to change your ticket to a warning but make sure you show the paper work (certificate) from the CAA that it was done.

As far as the traffic light is concerned...that's a tough one...you could plead it and ask if the cop was parked where he had thorough visiblity and could clearly determine that your car was a the line after the light went yellow so if the cop doesn't show up be prepared to defend your case and stick to your version....remember your version is: I had already passed the line.....when it changed.

As far as my law enforcement friends are concerned: I mean no disrespect to any of you that are members here. I know that you have the toughest and most dangerous job that there is out there especially in a big city like TO (Toronto) however I feel that sometimes you need to cut people some slack...used to be that way you know....and sometimes it still is. Unless someone is blatantly driving excessivley fast and dangerous, giving tickets is just a additional tax grab. This past week-end I drove to Ottawa for the
Blues Fest to see Steely Dan...that's about 1.5 hour drive...We saw 3 groups of 9 cop cars on the 417 from Montreal to Ottawa and not one on the Quebec side! Including one that was traveling in the opposite direction and when he spotted my car he did a U turn on the highway to sneek up on me to see what speed I was doing....Luckily I had the cruise on 118 and was able to slow down to 108...which made stopping me pointless...so he headed back the otherway again. I mean that just mean....he also drove right next to me and noticed my wife and daughter sleeping in the car. So he figured he would nail someone else for more $. That's not "Serving and Protecting" anyone...that's just harrassement!

Thanks for the heads up buddy,

I hope all works out well for the wife. She has NEVER gotten a ticket before (in 2 years of driving). It just sucks that her first time being pulled over was from someone that had to be so difficult.

If this continues I might have to move to Quebec or even to Jersey since we have family there..
Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 AM

Holy ****!! I imagine we'll be hearing from Kamski for a rebuttal.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima

LOL! ROFL!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:43 AM
+Cru OG

This only goes to show that it pays to check local laws regarding tint.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 AM
MAXIN' ON

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
This only goes to show that it pays to check local laws regarding tint.
I think most laws are simlar just not enforced. Ive had all my cars tinted illegal in florida. For what ever reason I havent seen it enforced or gotten a ticket since 1986. I moved to tn last year and thats the first thing I heard about was my tints.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 AM

that sucks. i got one too like 3 weeks ago. my ticket is for 250 bucks. F'ing cop told me if he ever saw me again, that he'll take my car away.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Hi!
Maybe I should come up by train. lol
Old 07-10-2008, 12:52 PM

Craziness

I remember getting nailed in California with my tint and I had NY Tags. They were able to nail me with it because I had DOD Stickers on my car from being stationed in Lemoore. Cop told me that since I had base stickers on my car I had to adhere to California State Laws. Matter of fact not sure if I ever did pay that ticket lol.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
TAZ

Originally Posted by bushness
Dude,

All plate covers other than clear ARE ILLEGAL in ontario. The fact you can see through the purple is irrelevant. It cannot be tinted any color.

Did the light change red before or after she entered the intersection? You can still get a ticket if you accelerate through a yellow to try and "beat it" when stopping is possible.

Insurance, if she was not carrying the insurance card in the car with her, then it is her fault not the cops. You must have Valid insurance WITH YOU at all times. If she simply forgot to but the new slip in the glove box then it is still her fault, not the cops.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:59 PM

a $250 ticket is a bit extreme for tintz i wud say
Old 07-10-2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
a $250 ticket is a bit extreme for tintz i wud say
tell that to the cops. i was like holly s#!+. 250. i still need to send my payment.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Wow I have never gotten a ticket for tnt....... just a Safety Repair Order
Old 07-10-2008, 05:01 PM

hmmm.... i guess it was a bad idea for me to get 15% on my car especially since it looks like a drug dealers car. and cops in ny are pretty strickt. damn maybe time to go lighter.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I got nailed 3 years ago for doing 100 in a 65 (bumped down to 90) and the ticket was still only 180, 250 is ridiculous
Old 07-10-2008, 06:51 PM

its good u got it fixed but here in ohio i got pulled over last week and was told the limit is 50% now so i have to get mine redone or not drive the car on the road just tow it to the dragstrip i have 35 on three of my cars and my 95 is 5%
Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Go ahead... try me

Damnnnn people... you guys have been through some **** lol. Thankfully I was never nailed for tints... my 93 infiniti Q45 was 5%, 02 lincoln town car was 5%, and this max is gettin 5% all around this comin monday, and thank the lord I've never been nailed for them. The only ticket I got, which pisses me off... was for doing 31mph on a 25mph zone... isn't that some **** lol I was like... are you kidding me? that's only 6 mph over limits, and he's like... well you were speeding, weren't you? I'm like... ok I'll see you in court. That was LAST WEEEEEEKKKKK. Cops are like women... can't live with them, and you can't kill them. lol
Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

all will end well in this thread...i can just FEEEEEL it in me bones!!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...ead-about.html
Old 07-10-2008, 09:05 PM

you did something illegal, that you knew was illegal, so why are you complaining?

pay the fine and go on. if you don't want it to happen again, have legal work done next time.

dope is illegal. therefor, i don't smoke it. see how simple it works?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:19 PM

OK, this is something that frustrates me as well. While I have never gotten a ticket for my tint, on my Max or any other car I drive, the law is worthless. Everyone says it's for officer's safety, right? BS. Deus is exactly correct when he says law abiding citizens roll their window down. If I ever get pulled over it's hands on the steering wheel, windows down, interior light on if it's at night. They can see me. they can see I'm not a threat. I can respect that they have a hard job to do. I can respect that it's unsafe and probably unsettling to walk up on a blacked out car and not be able to see the occupants. But make it illegal to keep your windows up if you get pulled over. Not illegal to tint. It's BS. In Ohio if you have a concealed carry permit, you can carry a gun in your car, LOADED,on your person. But if you get pulled over you must BY LAW put both hands on the window sill with the window DOWN. So what sense does it make that we can't tint our windows if we're respectful of it. Go ahead give those of us that aren't out to hurt anyone a ticket but guess what, the idiotic moron who doesn't care is still gonna have his tinted windows and his gun, no matter if it's illegal or not. He's already willing to commit murder or assault why would he be scared of a tint ticket?

All and all, it's not the police's fault. Yes some of us have bad experiences with some, disagree with the citations we've been given, and general enforcement is pretty inconsistant everywhere you go, but it's the lawmakers we should be writing letters to. The police are doing their job. I tinted my windows 20% knowing full well I could be ticketed for it. but I'm willing to take that risk so can I really complain if a police officer actually tickets me for it?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by HM_Motorsports
So what sense does it make that we can't tint our windows if we're respectful of it.
because of the jackazzes who put 5% and double limo on their front doors that screw it up for everyone. if everyone was respectful of it, there wouldn't be a need for the laws. (or any laws for that matter)

there's no need for anyone to have their front doors that dark. once you get past 20%, you can't really see in anyway. so past that point, it becomes dangerous to see out.

i know a woman who lost her unborn baby to a punk azz kid who couldn't see her coming, and pulled out in front of her. i'm sure you can ask her what she thinks about the tint laws and how they're enforced.

how the laws are enforced varies from region to region, and officer to officer. just because someone else has never been caught doesn't mean squat. how many people do you know that use drugs that have never been caught? just because they haven't been caught doesn't make it right.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 PM

I can understand your point there. I had 5% on my mustang when I had it, and hated it. Daytime was alright, but at night I'd roll the windows down anytime I had to pull out onto a road and what not. Granted I live in BFE and its darker than in the city so some of you with 5% may not have the same trouble. 20% seems good for me. 2 main reasons I want my windows tinted, is to block out the sun, and to keep idiots from seeing what's in my car when it's parked. I'm not saying because I've never been caught its right, I was actually saying the opposite. I put the tint on there, so I can't complain if I get ticketed for it. I don't feel that it hinders my vision at 20% enough that it endangers myself or others, but I know when I can't see and put the stupid window down. Other's don't. Point taken.
And thats it. A few idiots in the crowd screw it up for the rest of us.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by HM_Motorsports
OK, this is something that frustrates me as well. While I have never gotten a ticket for my tint, on my Max or any other car I drive, the law is worthless. Everyone says it's for officer's safety, right? BS. Deus is exactly correct when he says law abiding citizens roll their window down. If I ever get pulled over it's hands on the steering wheel, windows down, interior light on if it's at night. They can see me. they can see I'm not a threat. I can respect that they have a hard job to do. I can respect that it's unsafe and probably unsettling to walk up on a blacked out car and not be able to see the occupants. But make it illegal to keep your windows up if you get pulled over. Not illegal to tint. It's BS. In Ohio if you have a concealed carry permit, you can carry a gun in your car, LOADED,on your person. But if you get pulled over you must BY LAW put both hands on the window sill with the window DOWN. So what sense does it make that we can't tint our windows if we're respectful of it. Go ahead give those of us that aren't out to hurt anyone a ticket but guess what, the idiotic moron who doesn't care is still gonna have his tinted windows and his gun, no matter if it's illegal or not. He's already willing to commit murder or assault why would he be scared of a tint ticket?

All and all, it's not the police's fault. Yes some of us have bad experiences with some, disagree with the citations we've been given, and general enforcement is pretty inconsistant everywhere you go, but it's the lawmakers we should be writing letters to. The police are doing their job. I tinted my windows 20% knowing full well I could be ticketed for it. but I'm willing to take that risk so can I really complain if a police officer actually tickets me for it?
Well put. It isn't the officers' fault. They simply have jobs to do. Yes, some of them can over do it, but the fault does not lie on them. Legislature passes the laws and the police get the crappy duty of enforcing them. I guarantee that if you were to ask that officer off of the record how he feels, he would say he doesn't agree with many of the laws, but it isn't his/her call.

I received a ticket for 8 over a few months back. Now I haven't had a ticket in 10 years but I knew that getting stripes painted on my car would draw attention..and it did. My view is speeding is a stupid law, taken by itself, and that it is not unsafe all of time (10 over late at night with no other traffic for example) but it is the law and if I choose to break that law, whether I agree or not, I accept the ticket. The same goes for timted windows.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

Originally Posted by redls1
I think most laws are simlar just not enforced. Ive had all my cars tinted illegal in florida. For what ever reason I havent seen it enforced or gotten a ticket since 1986. I moved to tn last year and thats the first thing I heard about was my tints.
What part of TN? I wouldn't worry about it. I have 17% and cruise around East/Middle TN all the time without any issues (*knock on wood*).
Old 07-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
What part of TN? I wouldn't worry about it. I have 17% and cruise around East/Middle TN all the time without any issues (*knock on wood*).
no one makes a 17% film. i'm assuming that's what your glass and film meter together?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by jonmandude
it is the law and if I choose to break that law, whether I agree or not, I accept the ticket. The same goes for tinted windows.
That's all that needs to be said about the subject. stupid law or not, that's the law. Obey or pay. don't ***** about it here when you get a ticket.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Go ahead... try me

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII think it's time we lock this thread up... some people are getting frustrated about discussing this.. and obviously the discussion on here is not going anywhere. Relax people.... **** happens.... live and learn, and move on.

Lock 'er upppppp
Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 AM
STFU n00b!

That's my point. We hear this crap at least twice a week.
Just move on....
Old 07-19-2008, 09:10 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Originally Posted by dstruc
that sucks. i got one too like 3 weeks ago. my ticket is for 250 bucks. F'ing cop told me if he ever saw me again, that he'll take my car away.
Originally Posted by 04MAXXXFreak
Damnnnn people... you guys have been through some **** lol. Thankfully I was never nailed for tints... my 93 infiniti Q45 was 5%, 02 lincoln town car was 5%, and this max is gettin 5% all around this comin monday, and thank the lord I've never been nailed for them. The only ticket I got, which pisses me off... was for doing 31mph on a 25mph zone... isn't that some **** lol I was like... are you kidding me? that's only 6 mph over limits, and he's like... well you were speeding, weren't you? I'm like... ok I'll see you in court. That was LAST WEEEEEEKKKKK. Cops are like women... can't live with them, and you can't kill them. lol
Originally Posted by 04MAXXXFreak
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII think it's time we lock this thread up... some people are getting frustrated about discussing this.. and obviously the discussion on here is not going anywhere. Relax people.... **** happens.... live and learn, and move on.

Lock 'er upppppp
Consider yourselves all warned about evading the profanity filter.

And no more threads about getting tickets.