General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Free Alternate to CarFax

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:03 AM
FEELS GOOD TO BE GANGSTA

Free Alternate to CarFax

Found this site while researching Carfax and like services.

https://www.nicb.org/cps/rde/xchg/ni.../vincheck.html

Post your likes and dislikes about the service...

Mike
Old 07-27-2008, 02:49 PM
mod or sell?

it only tells you if the car is reported stolen and possibly if it was ever called a total loss
Old 07-27-2008, 10:29 PM

a carfax report is cheap in the long run, not sure why you want to be any less informed.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:50 AM

Carfax and all of these reports are not really accurate. They only say what is written on a police report or insurance claim. There is no research on the car at all. My accident three years ago says "catastrophic" damage. It was a fender and a rim! There was no frame damage and was all repaired for under $1000. But since the police called a tow truck, it is listed as catastrophic. And what happens if the police aren't called and no insurance claim is made...no report. That means I could submerge my car in a pond and pull it out with my truck, clean it up really well, and who would know?

I agree that it is a good place to start, but understand that the information is only subjective and you will still want to have the car inspected by a mechanic. Inspecting it by a professional is the only real way to know the condition of the car.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:06 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by jonmandude
Carfax and all of these reports are not really accurate. They only say what is written on a police report or insurance claim. There is no research on the car at all. My accident three years ago says "catastrophic" damage. It was a fender and a rim! There was no frame damage and was all repaired for under $1000. But since the police called a tow truck, it is listed as catastrophic. And what happens if the police aren't called and no insurance claim is made...no report. That means I could submerge my car in a pond and pull it out with my truck, clean it up really well, and who would know?

I agree that it is a good place to start, but understand that the information is only subjective and you will still want to have the car inspected by a mechanic. Inspecting it by a professional is the only real way to know the condition of the car.
QFT!
and experian is more accurate than carfax FWIW.

My first VE drove perfectly. much later in it's time with me, we had it on the lift and I noticed that all 3 left rear control arms were bowed. car was still fine though.

I have had several "rebuilt" cars most had no issues, including the current 91 convertible that comes up as "salvaged" the car was never damaged. It was bought by a junk guy for scrap though. Never made it to the yard it stopped by us first and never left. State still required an inspection before issuing us a title.