General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

RE: The New Dragon Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 12:33 PM

RE: The New Dragon Intake

I was looking into buying the new carbon Dragon Intake for my max and I was just wondering if anybody got it or knows anything about if its worth it to get it?
I am also thinking about gettin a supercharger so I don't know if I should wait and get the whole kit with the intake or buy it seperate?
Old 11-10-2001, 03:00 PM

weaponR sucks
get the stillen one or the place racing one
Old 11-10-2001, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well...

The Weapon-R uses a foam filter. This means it is potentially dangerous in that the foam can break apart and basically "kill" your engine. Also, the replacement filters are not very cheap from what I have seen, you will have to change it on a more frequent basis than a normal filter. Any high-flow intake (Stillen, JWT, Arospeed, APC, etc.) intake should work just fine. The Place Racing CAI is good, but does not provide as much power over the normal intakes that it is worth $200. But hey it looks cool so do whatever suited you best man.
-Cyrus
Old 11-10-2001, 04:53 PM

Does anyone think the weapon R would be good with a K&N filter or some other cone filter?

I mean, just looking at it, it looks better than the stillen and you won't have to drill holes like the CAI.

I wouldn't want the foam either just the polished tubing.
Old 11-10-2001, 05:13 PM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Although I'm not running one in the Max I've used oiled foam filters in a few of my past cars. Two 9k rpm rotaries (pods), a Hemi V8 and a Landcruiser (panels) all used them for extended periods and never had a problem.

The brands used were either Finer Filter or Uni Filter which are proven quality and used by Oz Touring and SuperTouring teams, the local Ralliart and Subaru rally teams etc. Very popular in the local performance scene also, especially with WRX guys. I'm wondering why you guys from what I've read in the past are so full on against fitting them?

I don't know about WeaponR because its not used here but like anything if you keep away from the cheap **** it shouldn't be a problem. I'd feel safer using a Uni Filter pod than some cheap and nasty no-name generic cotton filter.

Uni Filter have a Rampod application for the A32 on their website if you want to check it.

http://www.uniflow.com.au/frames.htm
Old 11-10-2001, 11:12 PM

ATTention!! Can SAVE your CAR!

Be very careful with the K&N oil b/c it can damage the MAF sensor if the filter is not dry. Happened to me twice.. hondas dont have these problems since they dont have MAF (computer thing after the intake) WEapon R is an imitation of "MONSTER FLOW" As I heard, Monster flow is sueing weapon R for copying their products as weapon claim they are the orginator. Between, Monster flow has better quality! Good luck!! Oh yeah, placeracing CAI drill hole is hidden pretty much!!
Old 11-11-2001, 05:54 AM

umm what do you mean the CAI doesn provide as much hp? I was under the impression it gave the MOST because it actually sucks in colder air because its notin the engine bay
Old 11-11-2001, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
umm what do you mean the CAI doesn provide as much hp? I was under the impression it gave the MOST because it actually sucks in colder air because its notin the engine bay
it does..
Old 11-11-2001, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Re: ATTention!! Can SAVE your CAR!

you my friend need a lesson in how to oil an air filter.. you are not suppose to soak it nismo till the oil is dripping off the filter.. the can does specifically tell you how to oil it properly.. i have had no problems when oiling my filter.. but then again.. i hold the can 8 inches away and spray evenly.. lightly in areas..

who knows..

Originally posted by nizmolee
Be very careful with the K&N oil b/c it can damage the MAF sensor if the filter is not dry. Happened to me twice.. hondas dont have these problems since they dont have MAF (computer thing after the intake) WEapon R is an imitation of "MONSTER FLOW" As I heard, Monster flow is sueing weapon R for copying their products as weapon claim they are the orginator. Between, Monster flow has better quality! Good luck!! Oh yeah, placeracing CAI drill hole is hidden pretty much!!
Old 11-11-2001, 09:15 AM

Well, the CAI in the maxima is kind of a mythical creature like the unicorn.
People have and will argue the point of the potential of cold air in the body space between your bumper and frame. There isn't a lot, so if it is an actual "Cold Air" intake... probably not if you go by comparison of other CAI's on the market for other cars. Then engine bay does get warm, but it does get good circulation of air. As for the current CAI, not as good as it should be. I would care to call it a alternative air intake.