General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Can U shift ur automagic like its a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 01:51 AM

Can U shift ur automagic like its a manual?

yah i got a 2k1 automagic.. and im liek totally lost about a lot of things so im just learning.

Can you shift your auto like its a manual.. can i leave it in the gear #1 and gas it and once it revs to like 5000-6000 change it right away to gear #2 and let that rev to 5000-6000.. then release the gas and shift it to drive.. give it about half a sec to a sec to change gears to third or fourth.. and then gas it.. i have no clue if that makes sense but could u please respond to this..

ok so my two questions are:
1. What is a 2k1 gxes 0-60 time? ( i heard somewhere it was mid 7's to 8 and i heard it was 8.3 at some other site)
2. Does that MANUAL shifting with an AUTO WORK? and will it cut down on my 0-60 time?
Old 11-13-2001, 05:06 AM

you can try, but it's still an automatic since you have that torque converter

regardless, there's always a delay in between shifts. just leave it in D
Old 11-13-2001, 05:16 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Yes you can shift for yourself. There is no need to let off the gas EVER when trying to go fast with an automagic. There has been some debate about whether or not this will help your acceleration. Some have seen an improvement, some have not.

When I say improvement, I mean measurable difference on the track, not butt-dyno.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:48 AM

Yes, you can shift an auto like it is a manual...but like Phuong said, you will still experience a pause between shifting. Run a search on it, and you'll find plenty of threads talking about shifting an auto and also, how to do it. Also, Don recently posted about automatic transmissions and what you can do to make it faster...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=870

Enjoy!
Old 11-13-2001, 07:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Highway racing, it works. Drag racing, it doesn't, to me anyway.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by deezo
Highway racing, it works. Drag racing, it doesn't, to me anyway.
When you do this on the highway...do you go from D and shift down to 2? Or do you just take the O/D button off?
Old 11-13-2001, 08:11 AM

i wouldn't be making a habit of it or you'll have to replace your transmission sooner than you think.

auto's use a 'wet clutch' throught the torque converter and is controlled through the ECU to optimize smooth shifts. when you manually do it, the gears inside the TQ tend to mesh harder and wear out much faster. Just take it out of OD if you want more of a sporty feel.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:11 AM

i wouldn't be making a habbit of it or you'll have to replace your transmission sooner than you think.

auto's use a 'wet clutch' through the torque converter and is controlled through the ECU to optimize smooth shifts. when you manually do it, the gears inside the TQ tend to mesh harder and wear out much faster. Just take it out of OD if you want more of a sporty feel.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:02 AM

ok, i think manual shift ur auto might mess up ur transmission.

I wouldnt do it if i were u. besides it wont make a big difference anyway, maybe like .01 the MOST.

lastly od off on highway DOES help.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Asian_N02

When you do this on the highway...do you go from D and shift down to 2? Or do you just take the O/D button off?
I turn the OD off to throw it into 3rd. I am usually at around 65 mph when I do this and I get some good pull out of the gear. If I am drive at about 35mph, I drop it into 2nd manually. Its quicker to shift manually than to wait for the computer to shift which is aggrivating.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:45 AM

it wont hurt your tranny any unless you do neutral drops

all you are doing is telling the car when to shift instead of the computer doing it

kind of like sports shift feature on some cars (acura cl type-s or tl type-s)

some low 1/4 mile time cars are automatic, its gets to the point where you cant shift fast enough

or they have the up up down down shifter (kind of like sports shift)

also some cars dont need to be manuel, example: grand national

you put enough hp to the wheels you will beat alot of manuels
Old 11-13-2001, 10:32 AM

I played with my Max (and a few other cars) this Sunday. We had the G-Tech and let me tell you, manual shifting in auto did not do much. Overall, I ran a few times and my 0-60 where: worst 7.98 and best 7.75. 7.75 was keeping it in D and OD was on. I will try it with OD Off this weekend. Also, everytime I would go from 1 to 2, I would hear a pretty loud bang, so I know my transmission is not happy with that... I guess that's cause I do not let go of Gas. I do not think it is worth it killing it for no noticable difference...
I will post a Thread on all the stuff form Sunday with VIDS and PICS later on...
Old 11-13-2001, 01:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Here's my take on this. From a stop, shifting does not help THAT much, though it does to a certain extent. I've been able to drop down my 1/4 time by 0.15 sec while manually shifting. Now from a roll of say about 30MPH, shifting definitely works better as opposed to leaving it in D. That little split second difference between the tranny having to shift down to first and remaining in 1st makes it pull harder quicker. Works everytime for me while cruising around
Old 11-13-2001, 03:32 PM

So when you guys do a manual shift, if you let go of gas or use the break to shift, doesn't that take away time??
Old 11-13-2001, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

if u let go of the gas ... yes u lose time...if you use the brake to shift...I don't know where you got that...but logically you lose time.
when you said

When I downshift manually, I match the rpms, my giving a bit of gas when I pull the shifter back....sometimes use both feet...left on the brakes and downshift and give some gas w/ the right...
you meant from stop?
Old 11-13-2001, 05:58 PM

Something I do when I AutoX, or even on the street...

maxima brakes suck so sometimes I need the extra control...and need to downshift to take better advantage of my car's potential.

I almost beat SprintMax in his "AutoMagic Hater #1" from 70mph to 110. I just lined up w/ OD off...and when he let go of the throttle, and I heard him bring his RPMs up...I got on the gas a little bit, and dropped into 2, and when I saw him lunge..I got on it with all my weight, and from 70-110 he got maybe 6 inches on me. the 2nd run..I was inching away up to 133 and then my speed limited kicked in, and he shifted to 5th and he was out of there ...

-I earned his respect that day...
Last question(s), so basically say I am cruising at say anywhere from 20-60, I can just drop it into 2nd? Do I let go of gas before I drop it into 2nd and only then step on it? Do I let go of gas if I am drag racing and need to go from 1 to 2, 2 to D? Will that still be an advantage considering the loss of time when letting off the gas?
And what is the best RPM range to switch for a 5th Gen?
Thanks a lot Hogan, sorry for so many newbie qs..
Old 11-13-2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Chuvak

Last question(s), so basically say I am cruising at say anywhere from 20-60, I can just drop it into 2nd? Do I let go of gas before I drop it into 2nd and only then step on it? Do I let go of gas if I am drag racing and need to go from 1 to 2, 2 to D? Will that still be an advantage considering the loss of time when letting off the gas?
And what is the best RPM range to switch for a 5th Gen?
Thanks a lot Hogan, sorry for so many newbie qs..
so chuvak can u please get those scores up asap.. im still lost. i think some are saying MANUALLY SHIFTING your auto helps.... but then others say it doesnt help or it kills your tyranny (Transmission?)Does it help when ur at a dead stop going from 0-60?(the manually shifting ur auto thing)

so your best time was 7.75 and your worst was 7.98. Were both those times with OD ON and in D?
yah and please get those scores with OD OFF and gear in DRIVe on for ur 0-60 times..and the one with the manually shifting ur auto.

once again sorry for the excessive newbie questions.. im also trying to learn as much as i can off this board.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:45 PM

Technically, shifting your auto manually "will" perform better because you can use every last bit of RPMs up the redline. When letting the computer shift, it doesn't go up to redline. But I don't know if anyone has documentation that manually shifting makes your car run faster (in the 1/4 mile let's say).
Also, if you have Traction Control, ALWAYS TURN IT OFF when racing, from a stop or in motion. It reduces power if the wheels start to slip, hence less power to the wheels which equal slower times.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:16 PM

in the end, it's still an automatic
Old 11-13-2001, 07:55 PM

I see it this way, the purpose of a auto tranny is to let it shift itself..what its suppose to do. When shifting manually there is more lag vs leaving it in D. THe TCU has to adjust rather then let it working like it should, shift itself. I have gotten better results leaving it in D at the track (time slips as proof). This is just my opinion and does not reflect anyone else's.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:31 PM

Thanks Hogan! I might try it this weekend. I just don't want to **** up my trans, and when I shifted before, I always hear a loud bang...
Anyway, thanks for the info!
Old 11-13-2001, 08:34 PM

Too complicated, better off getting a 5spd.

Also, about manually downshifting, I have done that in the past and it seem to work. However, now I'm boosted, I'm afraid to do that. I have the VB mod, but that doesn't seem to help much.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:21 PM

5spds suck in traffic....esp in NYC around any city...

manually downshifting is fun... have excellent control of the car, make it do funny things ....

heh...those at Woodbury should remember my figure 8 in front of security