General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone use PDA (Palm pilot) based GPS systems in their Max???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 04:28 PM

Anyone use PDA (Palm pilot) based GPS systems in their Max???

I was doing some shopping lately and I came across a Palm IIIc (color) and a GPS interface (forgot who it was by, I think StreetFinder) Anyway its features boasted up to 12 satellites tracking your location at any given moment. Sound pretty neat. The Palm was about $250+ and the GPS interface was about $75. This seemed pretty affordable in comparison to some of the in dash Navigation systems offered for autos today. The color display was pretty decent and the fact that I could take it with me outside of the car was an added benefit. Has anyone ever tried this type of GPS unit. I think I could rig a pretty nice holder for it somewhere on the dash and never be lost again. Any feedback welcome.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:29 PM

why would u need GPS in a maxima? I really don't see the point
Old 11-13-2001, 04:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i tried the one that is available for use with the palm7, and it blows. It always put me through the longest possible route, and even then the directions were not correct. your better off getting a palm7 withe wireless service, and using mapquest.
Old 11-14-2001, 07:10 AM

What???? I dont understand what you're getting at

Originally posted by DhaMax
why would u need GPS in a maxima? I really don't see the point
I dont need GPS in my Maxima, I want it in my Maxima. Well I'm planning a road trip this winter with my girlfriend and she's the one who navigates the maps while I drive. She try's but she doesn't always read the map the right way. So to avoid that I want a GPS system. Do you know something I dont? Do all Maxima's guide their owners to any given destination without ever making a wrong turn? Am I not in touch with my Max? Did I miss something here? DaMax please explain your comment I honestly believe GPS should come standard in all 2002 and better cars, but thats wishful thinking.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:07 AM

Re: What???? I dont understand what you're getting at

Originally posted by 2ndMAX

I dont need GPS in my Maxima, I want it in my Maxima. Well I'm planning a road trip this winter with my girlfriend and she's the one who navigates the maps while I drive. She try's but she doesn't always read the map the right way. So to avoid that I want a GPS system. Do you know something I dont? Do all Maxima's guide their owners to any given destination without ever making a wrong turn? Am I not in touch with my Max? Did I miss something here? DaMax please explain your comment I honestly believe GPS should come standard in all 2002 and better cars, but thats wishful thinking.
Get a Garmin Etrex and plug it into your notebook PC. The run MS Trips and Streets 2002 on your notebook. You'll then have a nicer screen and a better unit than you'll find in the dash of any car. If you don't have a notebook PC just get something like a Garmin Streetpilot III.

Stereodude
Old 11-15-2001, 08:33 AM

Get a Garmin Etrex and plug it into your notebook PC. The run MS Trips and Streets 2002 on your notebook. You'll then have a nicer screen and a better unit than you'll find in the dash of any car. If you don't have a notebook PC just get something like a Garmin Streetpilot III.

yea, that is what i was going to suggest. A laptop and a GPS unit is the way to go. MS streets and tripps is better than all of the other map software I have used. it gives proper directions to my house, mapquest does not