General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What's a Y-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 12:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

HEY EVERYONE!

Anna's buying pipes for everyone
Old 11-15-2001, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Mustang1999

Will you buy me an H pipe??? Thanks.
only after u tell me what it is
Old 11-15-2001, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by AnnaXXS

only after u tell me what it is
Hahaha... see definition for Y pipe then apply that to a car that has a dual exhaust...
Old 11-15-2001, 12:47 PM

Anna, dual exhaust is when you have 2 pipes sticking out from under the rear bumper....in case you didn't know
Old 11-15-2001, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by AndyXXL
Anna, dual exhaust is when you have 2 pipes sticking out from under the rear bumper....in case you didn't know

Awww, now that's not nice!! You have to teach her, how do you think I learned all this stuff??
Old 11-15-2001, 12:58 PM

Awww, now that's not nice!! You have to teach her, how do you think I learned all this stuff??
That's what I just did
I try to help her out every time she has questions, but I swear she never asked me what a y-pipe is.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:58 PM

So in summary, a Y-Pipe takes the exhaust gases from your engine and 'collects' them into one pipe that goes to the catalytic converter to be 'cleaned'. The aftermarket one is better than the stock one becasue it isn't so constricted, allowing easier flow of these gases, allowing the engine to 'breathe out' better.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:05 PM

That's what I just did
I try to help her out every time she has questions, but I swear she never asked me what a y-pipe is.
does anna have a maxima?
Old 11-15-2001, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by LucentAUTO

does anna have a maxima?
She doesn't have her own, but she gets to drive mine
Old 11-15-2001, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
So in summary, a Y-Pipe takes the exhaust gases from your engine and 'collects' them into one pipe that goes to the catalytic converter to be 'cleaned'. The aftermarket one is better than the stock one becasue it isn't so constricted, allowing easier flow of these gases, allowing the engine to 'breathe out' better.
Greg, correct me if I'm wrong. So, when you get easier flow (less restriction) it decreases the backpressure resulting in some low-end power loss?
Old 11-15-2001, 01:31 PM

To tell you the truth, the car feels more powerful down low with a Y than without.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:42 PM

So, Greg, why dont they make stock y pipes as good as the aftermarket ones? Just because they want us to spend more money? i mean, if the designers want their cars to be the best, why wont they use the best parts?? yeah, it would cost a little bit more, but the performance!!!
Old 11-15-2001, 01:49 PM

So, Greg, why dont they make stock y pipes as good as the aftermarket ones? Just because they want us to spend more money? i mean, if the designers want their cars to be the best, why wont they use the best parts?? yeah, it would cost a little bit more, but the performance!!!
I know I'm not Greg, but.....

The average consumer doesn't care about the restrictivness of the Y pipe. All they care about is the price, what it looks like and the reliability, so that's what the designers concentrate on.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:51 PM

The average consumer doesn't care about the restrictivness of the Y pipe. All they care about is the price, what it looks like and the reliability, so that's what the designers concentrate on.
yes, i agree with that, but wouldnt it be nice if they had a set of cars that use all the super duper parts?
Old 11-15-2001, 01:51 PM

yes, i agree with that, but wouldnt it be nice if they had a set of cars that use all the super duper parts?
Haha.. yes... in a way they do, they're called F1.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:57 PM

Haha.. yes... in a way they do, they're called F1.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:29 PM

Nissan is looking to do three things, one, design a car that the comsumer will like, two, save money and three, comply with federal regulations on car specifications. When they designed various things for the VQ engine, they actually did go 'all out' and the best possible design did actually made it into production, with a good example of this being the intake and exhaust manifolds. However, when it comes to emissions, there are only so many tricks up a car manufacturers sleeve. Federal regulations state that a car can only make so much NOx, CO, etc... and do not specify that this is 'only when the car is warmed up', it must be complied with from the second the key is turned and the car is started. In order to reduce emissions, Nissan, along with pretty much every other manufacturer in the world came up with a 'pre-cat' system, in which smaller catalytic convertors warm up considerably faster than the main cat does, allowing the car to lower harmful emissions before the main cat is warmed. This design works by baffling or restricting the air, so that it 'stays' in the pipe longer, warming up the pre-cats faster. Unfortunately, this ends up restricting the engine once the car is warm.
What we have done by taking out the OEM Y-pipe is effectively saying, 'screw this, I'm going to dump crap out of my tailpipe until the engine/cat is warmed'. Is it bad for the environment? Yes. Is it going to allow us to make more power? Yes. Is it illegal? Yes.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Nissan is looking to do three things, one, design a car that the comsumer will like, two, save money and three, comply with federal regulations on car specifications. When they designed various things for the VQ engine, they actually did go 'all out' and the best possible design did actually made it into production, with a good example of this being the intake and exhaust manifolds. However, when it comes to emissions, there are only so many tricks up a car manufacturers sleeve. Federal regulations state that a car can only make so much NOx, CO, etc... and do not specify that this is 'only when the car is warmed up', it must be complied with from the second the key is turned and the car is started. In order to reduce emissions, Nissan, along with pretty much every other manufacturer in the world came up with a 'pre-cat' system, in which smaller catalytic convertors warm up considerably faster than the main cat does, allowing the car to lower harmful emissions before the main cat is warmed. This design works by baffling or restricting the air, so that it 'stays' in the pipe longer, warming up the pre-cats faster. Unfortunately, this ends up restricting the engine once the car is warm.
What we have done by taking out the OEM Y-pipe is effectively saying, 'screw this, I'm going to dump crap out of my tailpipe until the engine/cat is warmed'. Is it bad for the environment? Yes. Is it going to allow us to make more power? Yes. Is it illegal? Yes.
wow thank you for the info, i will install my y-pipe after the inspection
Old 11-15-2001, 05:17 PM

how about u explain everything to me as you would to your guy friend, deal?
OoO... that would be much easier, just come towards me, close your eyes, and i'll whack you really relaly hard with the pipe.. that's how i explain things.. and the only verbal part is "figure it out yourself" i'm not too nice to other guys..
Old 11-15-2001, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by mingo
OoO... that would be much easier, just come towards me, close your eyes, and i'll whack you really relaly hard with the pipe.. that's how i explain things.. and the only verbal part is "figure it out yourself" i'm not too nice to other guys..
Shut your a$$ ****, im never nice to guys, i'll wack you with my crack pipe if you dont shutup. Dont ever post again.

im jokin if you didnt know
Old 11-16-2001, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
Shut your a$$ ****, im never nice to guys, i'll wack you with my crack pipe if you dont shutup. Dont ever post again.

im jokin if you didnt know
it's kew.. i woulnd't feel it since i woulda been hot boxed prior to you beating me with the pipe..
Old 11-16-2001, 08:22 AM

AndyXXL,

About the backpressure thing - going to a larger, freer-flowing pipe does reduce the backpressure, but this isn't what causes a loss of torque.

Going to a pipe that's too large actually slows the moving column of gas. Having a fast-moving exhaust gas stream is what helps exhaust scavenging so that when the exhaust valves open, the waste is more effectively "pulled" from the cylinder rather than having the piston "push" the gasses out. Making the piston push the gas out is work that otherwise goes into the crank and out to the wheels.

The ideal would be to have an exhaust system that is free-flowing (ie-mandrel bends, minimum # of turns) but small enough diameter to keep exhaust velocity up.

BTW, one other thing the mfg's have to deal with is ease of manufacture. Mandrel bending is way more time consuming/labor intensive than just stampin' 'em out. Also, sometimes one component has to be compromised due to assembly problems of other components. Like - we need a kink in the pipe right HERE to allow the robot to reach that other part over THERE....

Just my two cents.....

Kirk
Old 11-16-2001, 08:31 AM

Very nicely put Kirk.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:51 AM

Thank you Kirk.