General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Non-Garage owners, How do you ease the paranoia of leaving your car parked outside?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
Those are Marines .. and in Camp Lejeune. Most of the folks that I know that's stationed there have said that it's one of the worst in terms of shady activities.

I live near Fort Bragg (soon to be Fort Bragg Army Airbase FTW). The Army folk here are much more timid than the ones over there in Camp Lejeune.

+1000 on that.I was stationed there back around '00 and you are absolutely right.It was like living out in the civilian world.They wanted your rims,your radio,broke into rooms,stole computers,playstations,whatever.I had a bunch of criminals working with me in our unit.Over half of them smoked dope.I had just about all my uniforms stolen once.I recommend noone have anything of value on that base.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by memphisballer
+1000 on that.I was stationed there back around '00 and you are absolutely right.It was like living out in the civilian world.They wanted your rims,your radio,broke into rooms,stole computers,playstations,whatever.I had a bunch of criminals working with me in our unit.Over half of them smoked dope.I had just about all my uniforms stolen once.I recommend noone have anything of value on that base.
lol. like living in the civilian world. lawlz. because in the civilian world everyone wants your rims, your radio, broke into rooms, stole computers, playstations, whatever and 1/2 smoke dope.

well the smoking dope part is true. what a horrible drug! which is why it's getting decriminalized all over the place...

fullcoverage is all you really need as it's damn hard to steal a 5.5+ maxima unless you have a flatbed and even then...
Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 PM
retired moderator

I ease the paranoia by living in a good neighborhood (which cost me extra).

I actually have a 2-car garage but park my car in the driveway, and have never once been paranoid about it (my old maxima or my new wrx)....

even at my old townhouse (in a slightly less-good neighborhood) I didn't worry much or at all about my car. If something is gonna happen, it's gonna happen. That's what insurance is for.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by nafddur
Hey, I admitted that I knew this thread was intended for non-garage owners in the first place - not you NOR I. I was merely providing the obvious solution as to how to get a garage IF you want one for your car.

If you want to live in NM and leave your car parked outside where it is exposed every night to the elements and vandalism, knock yourself out. It's still a free (well, sort of, thanks to GWB) country.

Reread the OP's post, SBPM. He's the one `worried about his car because he has no garage space.' You obviously don't care about garaging your cars. Many of us do - just one of the many reasons my cars last so long and look great. Again, it's a free (sort of) country.

I used to park my cars outside in lots a LONG time ago while I was saving for my first house and paying back those college loans. Now, I can't imagine living in a home without a two car garage (nor a full basement and attic, for that matter). To each their own.
I do care about garaging my car, however I believe my neighbors would frown on everything that's in my garage being in my lawn. Unfortunately, I have more stuff than I have storage for. My car is 9 years old and looks terrific. I could make a comment about assumptions, but I won't.

If you were to try and find a house with a basement here in NM, you'd be hard pressed - they're extremely rare.

In any case, I'm done arguing with you - I know perfectly well from other threads that you just don't ever shut up. I need to just add you to ignore list because you never fall to **** me off with your ridiculous, opinionated views.

BTW, good try on getting me into a discussion about W. You all already know my views on he and Obama, I'm not pulling them into this thread.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Alarm's great, with loud horn or whatevers, but nobody knows how good your alarm is until it's tested. An effective proximity sensor sounds like a great idea, but probably too many false alarms. I still haven't agreed or disagreed with alarms yet. But I do agree that having a 2way pager device helps, especially if you park far. You could easily check to see if you remembered to arm it w/o having to walk out there to verify.

Driving a crappy car... well as someone posted, some guy's civic got broken into numerous times. Don't think the type of car matters. And if it were me, I'd probably jack the high end car w/mega alarm... I like a good challenge. The results are the same, so why not go for the big fish? What would be more respected in the 'streets? Breaking into a civic, or breaking into a Porsche?

Insurance is a great idea. I still fear something happening to my car, cuz of the time/hassle. I'd be outta a car for a day until Rental kicks in. Then gotta coordinate getting repairs or recovery, or getting paid. If the car's a gonner, gotta go buy another car, and I'm pretty picky about my cars.

Risk tolerance is a huge issue. If you have high risk tolerance, this's probably a low priority. If you don't, then it's a high priority. As the situation presents, you gotta deal with what you have, unless you're motivated enough to make a change. However, I can't change the fact that my good friend lives in the 'hood, and I'm still gonna visit him, parking 5 blocks away and not walking alone. I think that scares me more than parking in my own neighborhood.

Dr J
Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 AM
bald aggression est 78

i dont worry bout it i have a 15 yr old an 18 yr old and a 16yr old car............ man they sound kids,lol but my cars are old. junkyards are plentiful of maxima's (3rd Gens).If anything i worry more about the stuff inside getting stolen,than the whole car.But introduce yourself to your neighbors. thats one way,let them know blatently i'll watch out for your ish you watch mine house and car. they'll appreciate it and return the favor. But i also think that the guys who have the dubbed up trucks have more to worry about than you.is your car custom? if it is'nt their more worried than you or you could get one of these //http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HfMUGsniJ8 just had to keep the humor going

Last edited by Kountz430; 01-20-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:27 AM

theres no way to ease it for me. cars here get broken into too much here, my dad had a chevrolet truck stolen and after a new silverado broken into twice, and the garage has been broken into a couple of times

my maxima has never been messed with, the alarm in it is crazy loud, but i always put a club on at night. i dont really care if they take my deck and subwoofers and all that stuff, and long as they dont screw up my interior or take the car it could be worse

the garage here is already full so no room for my maxima
Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

after all its a maxima....

now if it was this....

do not park outside overnight!!

lol

jus get a good 2 way alarm. case closed...
Old 01-20-2009, 12:56 PM

i just keep nothing important in my car, take out my Gtech, radar detector, and what ever else i have in there. its easyier than it seems.

and, personally, get a fire arm, dont need to use it, just gives you peice of mind. its nice to know you can defend yourself in a bad situation without calling and waiting 20 minutes for the cops to waddle over.

and...lock your doors.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SurraTT
after all its a maxima....
now if it was this....
do not park outside overnight!!
What's the big deal? $1000 Pontiac Fiero with $5k body kit. 5th gens are worth more than that. In other words, y'all with Ricer esthetic mods should think twice. Don't attract unnecessary attention.

Dr J
Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 PM

people here park ricers outside at night and dont get broken into, a guy a few doors down has a nice skyline and he parks it in his garage, but the garage doesnt have a door so you can just walk up to it

watch, now i probably jinxed myself and i'll get broken into tonight
Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
What's the big deal? $1000 Pontiac Fiero with $5k body kit. 5th gens are worth more than that. In other words, y'all with Ricer esthetic mods should think twice. Don't attract unnecessary attention.

Dr J
Haha, seriously man.

I live in a pretty nice neighborhood but that doesn't stop some kids from going around and stealing ****. Someone went into my old car in the middle of the night looking to steal some stuff and they accidently hit my garage door opener. My dad went running outside and saw two kids sprinting away
Old 01-20-2009, 09:53 PM

Those are Marines .. and in Camp Lejeune. Most of the folks that I know that's stationed there have said that it's one of the worst in terms of shady activities.

I live near Fort Bragg (soon to be Fort Bragg Army Airbase FTW). The Army folk here are much more timid than the ones over there in Camp Lejeune.
i was stationed at lejeune for about 9 months...glad i got outta there, jacksonville sucks!!!!!! but come on marines arent that bad are we? lol
Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by New2Maxima
I live in a pretty nice neighborhood but that doesn't stop some kids from going around and stealing ****. Someone went into my old car in the middle of the night looking to steal some stuff and they accidently hit my garage door opener.
That's the VERY reason it is important to garage your car - the original topic of this thread. Theft/vandalism can happen anywhere to a car left outside.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:07 AM

I worry about the car each time I park it. Living in NYC, you're either gonna get your bumper or hood messed up because someone can't park, or some numbnut is going to try to break into your car.

I just got full insurance and hope for the best.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM
+Cru OG

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
i was stationed at lejeune for about 9 months...glad i got outta there, jacksonville sucks!!!!!! but come on marines arent that bad are we? lol
With the current crop of Marines that are being stationed in Lejeune ... I'm inclined to think that the Marines should have a more stringent recruiting practice.

The older Marine folk are awesome, don't get me wrong, but the young guns ruin the image.

You Marines ARE bad when it comes to driving your heavy duty rigs though. A flatbed carrying an MRAP or an MTVR shouldn't be making U-Turns in a 2 lane rural road.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM

Neighbor to the left: Retired Army Master Sergeant
Neighbor to the right: Retired Lieutenant (sp?) in the Medical Corps
Neighbor across: Tank Commander
Neighbor across to the left and right: Currently deployed, Army, 82nd Airborne
Neighbor two houses down: Apache Pilot
Neighbor six houses down: A10 Pilot

haha nice.... Im sure they have a undercover house as a base somewhere
Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM

ehh, i leave my car unlocked becuase i know my locks get frozen...

i wouldnt be terribly upset if someone stole it, but id still be salty because It would be me.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 PM

Full coverage on my auto insurance was not an option seeing as it would cost me an arm and a leg at my age. So a viper alarm system does the work.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:24 PM

I never used to worry about parking mine outside, but just last week, I lost $1300 of tools that I STUPIDLY left in the rear floorboard, as my trunk was full of music equip (where I usually keep my tools). The thief did not mess up the car, but as my tranny blew days later, I have nothing to fix it with now. It's a freaking comedy!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:30 PM

get a steering lock and park next to a slightly better car.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 AM
+Cru OG

Originally Posted by wirelessdude04
haha nice.... Im sure they have a undercover house as a base somewhere
Aptly named "Fort Bragg."
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by denny_1986
get a steering lock and park next to a slightly better car.
Sell it and buythis
Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 AM

I never really thought about it until it was broken into, even though they only took $5.00 worth of stuff, it was still a really bad feeling, knowing someone has gone through your car and robbed you, and left you with $220 less in your wallet.

Now I leave my car (which isnt runnining anyway), within view of my bedroom window (my house is on the corner of two streets). If they can break into it, put a charged battery in it, get past the immobiliser, and drive it off with 1st and 2nd gear only, they can by all means have it..."at the end of the day, its just a car", I'm still alive, everything else is second to that.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 AM
I love lamp.

I have 1 covered parking spot with a lighting around. I also usually back in when I park so if the hella's go off, they are faced at people bedroom windows. If my wife's spec-v is using the spot, I park the car next to my apartment, back in, again with the horns facing my bedroom window. Someone is bound to notice something.

Besides, I have full coverage insurance, so if something does happen, I'm just out my deductible. This car isn't like what my S/C'er was like, so there isn't a whole lot to steal from the car.

S
Old 02-05-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by memphisballer
Sell it and buythis

lol wtf!
is it actually attached to the botttom half or just sitting on top of it?
Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 AM

Sorry to state the obvious, but the 2nd GWB recession has made houses so cheap these days that this is a GREAT time to buy a home with a garage to aleviate the fears of theft/vandalism to your cars.

Plus, in spite of global warming, with this rare tough winter we're having, it's so nice to wake up each day to a warm, non-snow covered car!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:09 AM

Nothing like DUB'd pickup trucks parked on front lawns
Park it in your lawn right by your window. It's like a win win. Eventually your grass will die and you wont have to mow it.

Last edited by ZaxWhite97Max; 02-06-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:16 AM

Install a GPS system in your car, and buy a shotgun and place it gently right next to your computer or tracking device. And have a friend's phone number or a taxi service number taped on the shotgun....

As soon as you realize your car is stolen, pick up your phone call the conveniently placed number on the gun, check your tracking system... then when you get to the location, make sure to check that the car is actually yours and not one that looks like it, trust me mistakes happen all the time

Then, walk slowly up to the house or whatever the car is parked in front of, knock on the door, or shoot it open.... walk in and point that gun right in the guys face, with a serious look on your face (Make sure to practice the look in front of a mirror to get it right, or else they won't take you seriously) then demand for your keys, or you'll start shooting one extremidy at a time until he gives you your keys. Get your keys, and check your car to make sure nothing is missing, if something is... then repeat the process until you get your missing things back.

Before you leave, make sure to shoot a couple rounds at his house or you can shoot AT him, just make sure you miss Just to make sure he remembers you and drive away in the sunset like a hero you are.

Now some of you may think I am crazy BUT!
Thanks to this easy step by step process you can recover any car, in less than a few hours and get years of fulfilling revenge.

I have been using this method for years and now I am known as Insane-Crazy-Maxima-Loving-Phychotic-Phychopath or more commonly known as ICMLPP... now with a reputation like that, you can leave a Lamorghini with all doors open with the engine on in the middle of NYC and no life loving mortal will step near your ride.

Last edited by Leo_Koneval; 02-07-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM

Fixin to get a 95 Maxima. Are these cars stolen this much?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:56 PM

dude, get a garage, there is no subsitute.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 AM

I live on base..lol no problem