General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Report of drag strip race with new equipment

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 11:48 PM

Report of drag strip race with new equipment

Well I'll say off the bat that I need more practice. My reaction times are OK .651, .760, .541 and .690. Secondly I gotta do something about my clutch that has a mind of its own. The clutch pedal can go from having 2 inches of freeplay to zero inches of freeplay with the engagement point changing and have the pedal be hard as a rock out of the clear blue. I only got to run four times tonight, because it was the last drag of the season and with mild tempertures the place was packed. Add that onto an oil spill which held up everything about two hours that did not help. My best time was only which was my second run 14.99 @ 93.43. the other 3 runs were (1st run 15.57 @ 91.83, 3rd run 15.57 @ 92.59 and 4th run 15.55 @ 92.04. On runs one and four out of the four runs I MISSED the 1-2 shift so that really slowed me down. The reason i missed the gears was because of the new clutch feel, it was hard to jam it into second gear very quickly cause I'm not entirely used to it. On run three I had alot of miniwheel hop off the line. The motor mounts did a good job surpressing the huge jolts like I used to have, but tiny jolts were still there, probbaly from suspension slack. To prove how bad it was my 60 foot was 2.697 which is absolutely aweful. I think poly control arm bushings will help this one, as well as lowered car with stiff struts. Infact, since I'm not used to the new clutch/differential/motor mounts setup, my best 60 foot was 2.389 with the 14.99 run. The other two were 2.41 and 2.43. I'm not tryin to make excuses but my damn clutch was acting funny I could not get used to its quick release point (I never raced on the ACT, which engages much faster then the OE one) which kept changing on me.

To make matters worse, on my 14.99 run while I was in the burnout box doing my thing, all of the sudden my car got really loud really quickly. Oh no I thought, I broke something. I didnt hear any metal dragging and the track officials didnt say anything so I just went with the flow. i really didnt pay too much attention on the shifting or anything cause I was afraid I'll have sections of tail pipe on the track surface. But as usual with my luck, I did the best on this run.

I remember my forth race, I launched it too low and the engine bogged down like crazy. I'm confident that if I ever figure out why the F this clutch likes to change positions on me, and I get more practice with the new setup, I can shave an entire second off, possibly more from my typical 15.5 runs tonite. This car is capable of at least mid 14s cause last time I ran a 14.6 on a slipping clutch and blown motor mount, with a 2.1 60 foot. With this new setup, you can really feel the car shift hard when I shifted correctly.

So whats my take on the Quaife for drag racing? Its great cause I spin both wheels so I no longer have the one wheel with less tread syndrome. It also ensures me leaving the line with 2 wheels. However, just like having to relearn driving hard through the corners with the Quaife, you gotta do the same thing for drag racing cause it changes the way the car behaves.

I do have good news to report though. My exhaust leak, was caused by the Stillen 2 piece B pipe to seperate at the slip fit part. I was able to fix it on sight with just a jack, and a 1/2" wrench to tighten that exhaust clamp.

Of my four runs, I beat a total of four cars, even with my crappy times. The first was a 78 era Trans Am. I thought I was toast cause at my track most the "hillbilly" vehicles look trashy but are fast. My second run I raced my friends 96 GTI. Third run, once again I thought I was toast. I raced what looked like a 70's Chevy nova that had monkey bars inside! I was scared crapless at first, but I actually beat him. Really surprsied me. The fourth run takes the cake, I raced a Honda Civic SI, and I kicked his butt. He ran a low 17, probaby from inexperience. But I was happy I even put the flashers on after I crossed the finish line, hehehe.

I have all winter to practice and find out why the F my clutch keeps adjusting itself, and hopefully I'll be running consistent and low 14s next year!
Old 11-16-2001, 11:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my clutch does the same thing. friction point moves up and down. i think it's a seal in the master cylinder.
Old 11-17-2001, 12:09 AM

Re: Report of drag strip race with new equipment

Originally posted by ericdwong
However, just like having to relearn driving hard through the corners with the Quaife...
How different does that LSD feel when pushing it to the limits in a turn? I have driven many FWD cars and the inside tire starts spinning as it comes off the pavement whne you push the car to the max lateral grip. Does the LSD help in real-world scenarios?
Old 11-17-2001, 12:11 PM
SLOW

Re: Re: Report of drag strip race with new equipment

Originally posted by 2k2se6spd

How different does that LSD feel when pushing it to the limits in a turn? I have driven many FWD cars and the inside tire starts spinning as it comes off the pavement whne you push the car to the max lateral grip. Does the LSD help in real-world scenarios?
Do a search and you will find out that he posted a huge message about a week and a half ago answering your question.