General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

massive differential failure....BEWARE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 11:12 PM

massive differential failure....BEWARE!!!

So less than a month after I got my trans rebuilt I was driving along and all the sudden all hell broke loose...I had a massive failure that blew 3 holes in my tranny case. Gear lube was pouring out of the trans and I got the car towed back to the transmission shop....
fastforward to this week...the trans shop FINALLY got to my car..pulled the trans..and guess what....it was my differential that exploded!! And guess what else....they WON'T COVER IT.....becuase the diff wasn't part of the re-build....WTF!!!!
The diff failed becuase the pin that holds it together cracked in half..and backed it's way out. I'm told that pin is supposed to be SUPER strong.....I have NEVER heard of this happening to ANY maxima...if anyone has had a differential failure...please let me know becuase I need to find out more about it.

I smell foul play...but I don't have any way to go about pinning it on them....if I can't prove that it was their fault then I have to pay for a new differential and half a tranny case...plus the labor on it....
Old 11-20-2001, 01:57 AM

Re: massive differential failure....BEWARE!!!

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
So less than a month after I got my trans rebuilt I was driving along and all the sudden all hell broke loose...I had a massive failure that blew 3 holes in my tranny case. Gear lube was pouring out of the trans and I got the car towed back to the transmission shop....
fastforward to this week...the trans shop FINALLY got to my car..pulled the trans..and guess what....it was my differential that exploded!! And guess what else....they WON'T COVER IT.....becuase the diff wasn't part of the re-build....WTF!!!!
The diff failed becuase the pin that holds it together cracked in half..and backed it's way out. I'm told that pin is supposed to be SUPER strong.....I have NEVER heard of this happening to ANY maxima...if anyone has had a differential failure...please let me know becuase I need to find out more about it.

I smell foul play...but I don't have any way to go about pinning it on them....if I can't prove that it was their fault then I have to pay for a new differential and half a tranny case...plus the labor on it....
That blows
Old 11-20-2001, 05:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

That happened to my old Prelude. The Diff. pin snapped and blew the entire trans to pcs. $3,500 bucks later I had a new trans in the car. They couldn't salvage anything, the case was shattered, metal all over the bearings, big mess.
Old 11-20-2001, 06:10 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Well, you won't like the way I feel about this. If I remember right (since we don't have sigs anymore), you're running a 50 shot of NOS plus you've got nearly all the boltons plus you've got a 5 speed. With NOS, you've got to expect that you will be putting a ton more stress on the tranny/motor. A 50 shot only adds 40-50fwhp, but it adds a massive 70-85fwtq. With all the boltons and the NOS, you could be twisting out nearly 280fwtq which is a ton of torque for a tranny that orginally was suppose to only run ~170fwtq. One wrong NOS application, especially at the lower rpms, can push the tranny to it's limits and could cause a failure immediately or months later. When you run NOS, SCs, turbos, even boltons, you've got to expect to exceed the limits of the car, especially the trannies. Some cars hold up better than others simply because of better driving styles, less hard launches, etc.

Dave
Old 11-20-2001, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Well, you won't like the way I feel about this. If I remember right (since we don't have sigs anymore), you're running a 50 shot of NOS plus you've got nearly all the boltons plus you've got a 5 speed. With NOS, you've got to expect that you will be putting a ton more stress on the tranny/motor. A 50 shot only adds 40-50fwhp, but it adds a massive 70-85fwtq. With all the boltons and the NOS, you could be twisting out nearly 280fwtq which is a ton of torque for a tranny that orginally was suppose to only run ~170fwtq. One wrong NOS application, especially at the lower rpms, can push the tranny to it's limits and could cause a failure immediately or months later. When you run NOS, SCs, turbos, even boltons, you've got to expect to exceed the limits of the car, especially the trannies. Some cars hold up better than others simply because of better driving styles, less hard launches, etc.

Dave
Dave, I understand what you are saying, but I have an RPM activated window switch that doesn't allow the NOS to spray until 3600 rpms. So I've never had a "wrong NOS application" Plus I never use NOS out of the hole becuase the wheelspin that would come with it would not be benificial. Most of the time I'm not even spraying until second gear. I really don't think that saying that my bolt-ons and measly 50-shot of NOS that I've barely used at all contributed to my differential failure. There are people running 500+ hp out of cars with stock MANUAL transmissions with no problems. Because manual trannys are direct drive, they are much more adept to the addition of power. I JUST had a re-build last month due to a screwup by a nissan tech a few monthes ago. I didn't use NOS at all between the re-build and this failure. I really don't see how power-adders caused my problem...even the guys at the tranny shop said that my power adders were nothing to a manual trans...they told me that coming out of the hole to hard to much...and spinning one wheel would be much more condusive to a differential failure. Both of which I RARELY do...
Old 11-20-2001, 08:34 AM

Oh man, thats absolutely aweful. I wish that happened to me, so I would have a good excuse to loose this car. So you're telling me this will be the THIRD transmission job you need?

That center differential pin is very hard. It may be damaged if the shop had tried to remove the driveaxles by taknig one out and tryign to drive the other one out by going thru the transmission. But even still having one of those things fail is almost non heard of.

Wow, that still amazes me. I wish it happened to me, if my transmission ever blows up it will be the perfect excuse Ive been looking for.

Well since you're in there and need a new differential, might as well get a Quaife- which does not have this pin :-)
Old 11-20-2001, 09:05 AM

no...only the second job...the first one was a month ago...