General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Sprint/Koni VS AGX/GC (results)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 01:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sprint/Koni VS AGX/GC (results)

So ejj came over to my place today and we compare my new suspension to his sprint/koni. After we drove each other's car we concluded that while both were a BIG improvement over stock, my car at 50% stiffness had a little less lean and absorbed bumps a lot better. We have to keep in mind that the sprints were a good half inch lower on his car than where I had my GC. but the back of my car was lower (even with front of my car). I now can talk about the differnce so if anybody has questions let either of us know
Old 12-02-2001, 02:27 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Sprint/Koni VS AGX/GC (results)

Originally posted by theblue
So ejj came over to my place today and we compare my new suspension to his sprint/koni. After we drove each other's car we concluded that while both were a BIG improvement over stock, my car at 50% stiffness had a little less lean and absorbed bumps a lot better. We have to keep in mind that the sprints were a good half inch lower on his car than where I had my GC. but the back of my car was lower (even with front of my car). I now can talk about the differnce so if anybody has questions let either of us know
I don't think the struts had anything to do with this. My car has a lot more initial lean in than Aaron's, but that's due entierly to the springs.

Rebound control on both cars seemed pretty close to identical.

The ride with Aaron's GC's seemed firmer, but much, much more comfortable over bumps and pot holes.

Like Aaron said, you can't really compare ride height.
Old 12-02-2001, 02:57 PM

Well...

How do you guys think a Sprint/AGX combo would work? I have Sprints right now and they are nice, but a little softer ride would be nice as well. Do you think the AGXs had anything at all to do with the comfort? I hate the way the drop looks on Sprints (back much higher than front), but I know when one drives it levels out. And I know Sprints sit very low, because my clearance (from the lowest skid plate) is 3.5". And for a full size sedan, that is damn low. Also, do the AGXs have any effect on ride height?
Thanks,
Cyrus
Old 12-02-2001, 02:59 PM
ejj

Re: Well...

Originally posted by Vyrus
How do you guys think a Sprint/AGX combo would work? I have Sprints right now and they are nice, but a little softer ride would be nice as well. Do you think the AGXs had anything at all to do with the comfort? I hate the way the drop looks on Sprints (back much higher than front), but I know when one drives it levels out. And I know Sprints sit very low, because my clearance (from the lowest skid plate) is 3.5". And for a full size sedan, that is damn low. Also, do the AGXs have any effect on ride height?
Thanks,
Cyrus
AGX's, and struts in general don't effect ride height or harshness. Those are both controled by the springs.

Struts control the rebound of the car after a bump...keeps the ride from feeling floaty.

I can't really say I noticed a difference between the Koni's and AGX's.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:18 PM

Re: Re: Well...

Originally posted by ejj5875

AGX's, and struts in general don't effect ride height or harshness. Those are both controled by the springs.

Struts control the rebound of the car after a bump...keeps the ride from feeling floaty.

So I take it when I put AGXs on there will no longer be that "floaty" feel. I get it alot when I go over ramps and overpassed at 90MpH+.
-Cyrus
Old 12-02-2001, 03:35 PM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Well...

Originally posted by Vyrus

So I take it when I put AGXs on there will no longer be that "floaty" feel. I get it alot when I go over ramps and overpassed at 90MpH+.
-Cyrus
Yup
Old 12-02-2001, 04:00 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Well...

Wrong. The harshness is controlled by the shocks. I can promise you this 100%. KYB AGX are basically GABER (can't remember exact name) shocks but for 1/4 of the cost. AGX has been proven to be a awesome shock in the race world on many cars. I put them on my SE-R and when I wanted a nice soft ride with my Eibachs I lowered the shock down, when it was time for racing they went up, and the harshness really increased alot.

Old 12-02-2001, 04:22 PM

I think harshness has to do with both springs and shocks. I have H&R's and if I set the KONI's to the hard setting, the ride is too too harsh for my liking...
Old 12-02-2001, 04:50 PM
Administrator

drop those GC's the same drop as the sprint springs for a fair comparison.. .. Aaron's car isn't even dropped the same as H&R's right now.. he is only at 1 inch.. of course the ride quality is going to be great..

Ask Ant95SE.. drop those GC's and kiss the ride quality goodbye
Old 12-02-2001, 04:51 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

floating is no fun at high speeds.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:52 PM
ejj

Originally posted by SprintMax
drop those GC's the same drop as the sprint springs for a fair comparison.. .. Aaron's car isn't even dropped the same as H&R's right now.. he is only at 1 inch.. of course the ride quality is going to be great..

Ask Ant95SE.. drop those GC's and kiss the ride quality goodbye
Actcually, he lowered it another inch.

He car is only a half inch higher in front and a little lower in back.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Wrong. The harshness is controlled by the shocks. I can promise you this 100%. KYB AGX are basically GABER (can't remember exact name) shocks but for 1/4 of the cost. AGX has been proven to be a awesome shock in the race world on many cars. I put them on my SE-R and when I wanted a nice soft ride with my Eibachs I lowered the shock down, when it was time for racing they went up, and the harshness really increased alot.

Yep, ridden wit a lot of autocross cars with AGX's. Turned up and you can hardly stand to ride in it, all the way down and it feels like a caddy.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Actcually, he lowered it another inch.

He car is only a half inch higher in front and a little lower in back.
i take it back