General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Powdercoating brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:25 AM

Powdercoating brake calipers

Well I have a dilema. I bought 2 wilwood calipers from 2 different owners. However when they arrived the color isnt a perfect match and the logo on the front is different. So I was thinking about sending them to powdercoating and then put 2 new logo's on them.
Positives? Negatives?
thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

most colored calipers are powder coated
not sure why you are worried about it or why this needs to be in the "Advanced" section
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 AM

So since you state that most colored calipers are powdercoated. Do they powdercoat them fully disassembled meaning piston removed and the body split in half? Basically I am worried because I never sent anything out to get powdercoated before and wanted to get opinions. And I posted it here because imo this is where all brake questions are at.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

odds are whoever you'll send them to will know what they are doing
Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 AM
大陆弟弟

The powdercoat needs to be baked so yes the caliper will be completely disassembled. Therefore you should have a rebuild kit ready for re-assembly.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 AM

Well thats the thing. I have rebuilt 300zx calipers before and ordered a rebuild kit that included seals and etc. However with these wilwood calipers, there are no seals. The piston are just in the body. So there is nothing to rebuild on them. My worry is focused more on the pistons and removing and instaling them as well as preventing the powder get where the fluid is. If these calipers were cheap i wouldn't worry as much. But at $500 per side as retail, im just trying to be cautious.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
However with these wilwood calipers, there are no seals. The piston are just in the body. So there is nothing to rebuild on them.
Uh...are you sure there aren't any bore seals? I can't imagine a piston would be able to both seal (at brake pressures) and move without a seal.

Wilwood website mentions bore seals, btw.
What model of caliper are you using?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 AM
大陆弟弟

I e-mailed Wilwood about this before actually, they confirmed that a rebuild kit is needed.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 AM

I have not taken the calipers apart yet. But just by looking at it, there are no visible seals. However like it was stated there is a bore seal because I did some research and the the only rebuild kit that wilwood sells for my caliper is a kit full of seals. My next question though is can I reuse the seals since the calipers are brand new?
The caliper itself is a FSL (Forged superlite) 6 piston that is used on the wilwood 350z/g35 kits.
I just wish I did not have to take the pistons out. I'll upload some pics just for ****s and gigles though of the calipers
Old 12-04-2009, 11:17 AM

Here are some ****ty cell phone pics of the calipers.
Single Caliper

Calipers Side by side showing the difference
Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 AM

Pretty easy research:
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-...-FSL/index.asp

"Other standard Wilwood features include high-temperature, square faced o-ring seals for positive sealing, controlled piston retraction, and long service life in high heat conditions."

Cheers.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Are you only worried about the white lettering? If so, why don't you just paint it. I would do them both in black lettering. Just my .02 cents.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:35 AM

You should be able to dissasemble and store all parts submerged in clean brake fluid, in a sealeable container.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:54 AM

if I were you, I'd just get a pair of matching Wilwood stickers and put them on so that the lettering is the same. The color difference might be obvious when you see them right next to each other, but being that they're on opposite sides of the car, I don't think anyone would ever notice if one was a slightly different shade of red than the other once installed.

Seems like a lot of work and money for a minor improvement, but that's just IMO.

But yea, you gotta take them apart for powercoating. I once asked a guy at a powdercoating shop if I drove up to him, put my car on jackstands in the parking lot, and removed the wheels, could he powercoat them that same day without having to get the tires remounted. He pretty much just laughed. They like sandblast them then powercoat them then bake them and it's a pretty serious undertaking that rubber won't survive.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:45 AM

High-temp rattle can paint ftw.

OP: If you're seriously worried, I'd just hit them with a wire brush/sandpaper and throw a few nice coats of spray paint over them, followed by some clear-coat. Worked great for my OEM calipers. Then you can customize them to your liking. Maybe throw some Nismo stickers on them.

Powdercoating seems a bit much...especially on such nice, new-looking calipers. IMO, I'd just fill in the one caliper's lettering with white and be done with it.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
IMO, I'd just fill in the one caliper's lettering with white and be done with it.
i agree

even if they are slightly different, no one can look at both sides of the car at the same time to notice it
Old 12-20-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by bigleman
i agree

even if they are slightly different, no one can look at both sides of the car at the same time to notice it
Or, if he's really concerned, he could always order some of those ABS plastic Wilwood "brake covers" off of eBay.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:22 PM
STFU n00b!

1. NOT Advanced. Belongs in general.

2. The price of having them redone is going to be pretty significant. you'd have been better off buying a pair of new calipers.

3. If you really thought these calipers don't have seals just because you don't see dust boots, then please take your car to a real mechanic for any real work.

4. I hope there's 4 bleeder screws on the caliper in the left of the pic. Otherwise you screwed something up.

5. Just have the white lettering painted on the left caliper. it'll be MUCH cheaper and easier in the long run.

6. the seals in a brake caliper are rated for about twice the temp of what they would get in the powdercoating oven. (You bake powdercoats at 300-400F for 15 minutes. Brake fluid boils at 500F+ (the good stuff at 600F), and the seals in the calipers can handle that without problems for extended periods of time- especially in a racing caliper designed for high temps.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
4. I hope there's 4 bleeder screws on the caliper in the left of the pic. Otherwise you screwed something up.
hmmm that is odd

the calipers have different sized pots in them, but the way the bleeders are setup, those both belong on the same side...

yet, one would have the larger calipers on the top and the other would have them on the bottom
Old 12-22-2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
1. NOT Advanced. Belongs in general.

2. The price of having them redone is going to be pretty significant. you'd have been better off buying a pair of new calipers.

3. If you really thought these calipers don't have seals just because you don't see dust boots, then please take your car to a real mechanic for any real work.

5. Just have the white lettering painted on the left caliper. it'll be MUCH cheaper and easier in the long run.

6. the seals in a brake caliper are rated for about twice the temp of what they would get in the powdercoating oven. (You bake powdercoats at 300-400F for 15 minutes. Brake fluid boils at 500F+ (the good stuff at 600F), and the seals in the calipers can handle that without problems for extended periods of time- especially in a racing caliper designed for high temps.
2) Price of each caliper in red from wilwood is roughly $550. Quotes I received to powdercoat 2 calipers ranged from $75 to $150. So there is no way possible that powedercoating 2 calipers would cost the same as 2 brand new units.

3) I never stated that they do not have seals. What I did state was there was no visible seals for example like on the 300zx calipers. And i will just laught at the second part of that statement of yours.

4) I did not screw anything up. The calipers came in that way. And if you would have looked at the pictures like a real mechanic you would have noticed that each caliper has 2 bleeding screws which are removable and can be swapped on the caliper so they point up.

5) Painting is an option.

6) You made a valid point there that I do agree with however most powdercoating places require removal of them. I learned that when I called a couple of shops.

Basically a MOD can lock this thread up....
Old 12-22-2009, 09:01 PM
STFU n00b!

2. price of two "used" calipers + powdercoating + rebuild kit + labor time = ????? It's probably close to the price of a new caliper.
2a. Really you only need one new caliper. buy another from Wilwood that matches one of the ones you have, then sell the other on ebay for what you paid for it (maybe more).

3. I'll quote it for you......

However with these wilwood calipers, there are no seals. The piston are just in the body. So there is nothing to rebuild on them. My worry is focused more on the pistons and removing and instaling them as well as preventing the powder get where the fluid is.
4. You screwed up buying the calipers if the one on the left doesn't have 4 bleeder screws. The older forged superlites (like the one on the right) used a crossover tube in them to move fluid across the body.
Many of their calipers have a passthrough inside the caliper (like 300ZX calipers) and have four bleeder screws. This keeps people from having to purchase a front/rear/left/right mount caliper. one caliper can be used for multiple positions on the car, so Wilwood can drastically cut down on their parts inventory and race teams can cut down on their spares as well.

If you want to move that crossover tube, good luck on getting it out without damaging the caliper. takes a special wrench to get to those flare nuts due to the close fittment to the caliper. Then add in the hassles of dealing with all the black RTV.

I rebuilt a pair of mine with the crossover tube a few years ago and it was a beyotch. When I was done, I decided I'd rather just buy a new caliper next time.

6. Powdercoating places don't always know what may or may not work. They would prefer that you break it all down and hand them two shiny pieces of metal, but it's not necessary.

Just trying to offer the advice of someone that's been in your same position on the same brand of calipers. When all was said and done, I found it easier to just buy a new one from wilwood that was assembled how I wanted it.