General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone heard of MotorSilk

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 10:03 AM

Anyone heard of MotorSilk

They have a lot of info on their page http://www.altboron.com

It's got not PTFE's, and they have a ton of info, along with a test car they've been running it in. Not to mention all the other products they have for the car. I have not been able to get through to the consumer rep. I want to know how much this stuff costs.

Oh yeah, the one thing that was the most significant to me was the fact that you only have to add this stuff to the engine ONCE.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:37 PM
Keven97SE

Re: Anyone heard of MotorSilk

Looks very interesting. They have test data to prove the proposed benefits (carbon residue won't stick to the inside of cylinders, lower coefficient of friction, etc), and they have elemental oil analysis data from treated cars. Very interesting indeed.

Still, it has to make you wonder why an oil company doesn't just incorporate this boric acid/boron oxide additive to their off-the-shelf engine oils. Is this product just brand new or what?

Originally posted by eric93SE

It's got not PTFE's, and they have a ton of info, along with a test car they've been running it in. Not to mention all the other products they have for the car. I have not been able to get through to the consumer rep. I want to know how much this stuff costs.

Oh yeah, the one thing that was the most significant to me was the fact that you only have to add this stuff to the engine ONCE.

Old 12-07-2001, 04:07 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

My thoughts exactly. If these wonder products are so good and so cheap, why arent they used in oil to begin with?
Old 12-07-2001, 06:12 PM

Well I faxed the rep. and also sent them an email just now.

It looks like they have it pattented, thats probably why oil companies are not useing it. It also may be b/c it works too well in that oil companies will loose money!

But did you see the list of Comapnies using the stuff.

Quote from their site:
"The benefits of CLS Bond® products have been documented in test after test. For example, engine friction is reduced by up to 80%, and engine wear by up to 90%.* And in private testing by industrial users, for both engine oils and industrial grease, the results have been even more impressive. Plus, boron is environmentally friendly in all forms. The bottom line is that lubricants with Boron CLS Bond® can be used anywhere there's a need for guaranteed performance."

I have seen their web site a while back but did not pursue it. Actually I think they never got back to me. So I assumed they were not in bussiness b/c their web site was dated like '97 or something and I was viewing it in '99.

But damn I wounder how much is this stuff , I want to do all my wheel bearing with their bearing grease.
Old 12-07-2001, 06:19 PM
I'm needing a caw

Just wondering. It bonds right? How does it know what to "bond" too. If it bonds to piston rings/cylinder walls fine. But I'm not sure I want it bonding to my oil filter internal and my tiny oil passages.
Old 12-07-2001, 06:26 PM

Yeah it'll probably bond to all metal surfaces, but this stuff forms an incredibly thin film on the metal surface in the range of microns.

Some more info from there site:
"Aligned by the mechanical motion of the substrate, the platelets form stacked layers with very small (0.318 nm) spaces between. As a result, the inter-platelet layers are bound by weak "van der Waals" forces, allowing a very low coefficient of friction. "

Pretty cool huh.
Old 12-08-2001, 05:28 AM

Re: Anyone heard of MotorSilk

Originally posted by eric93SE

Just like Prolong, Slik 50, X15, etc. etc. - there's no such thing as magic in a bottle. What these guys do is come out with a new "patented" product, market the hell out of it, sell a ton to the suckers, then the Gov't makes them pull the ads because they can't really prove the stuff works, but they already got their money. Then, with the brand name established by the huge ad campaign they introduce the line of polishes,wheel cleaners, carpet shampoo etc. and make some more money. If this stuff was really good the big oil companies would have it.
Old 12-08-2001, 02:16 PM
Keven97SE

Bottom line is, that no oil or additive is going to add any substantial amount of power. With the oiling systems in modern engines and the off-the-shelf motor oils, there's already very little friction. Even if you cut friction by 80%, you're looking at maybe a 1% gain in power. It's negligible. And if you're thinking that maybe the benefits are prolonged engine life through reduced wear, there is SO SO SO much more testing that would need to take place for a product to ever prove that it provided that benefit. There IS a ton of data to support off the shelf engine oils, though (including synthetics).

Stick with normal engine oil. Maybe go to a good synthetic to allow extended drain intervals, but that's about it. Keep it simple. Look to other mods for actual power gains.

Old 12-10-2001, 04:36 PM

So the manufacturer got back to me

and here are the prices for two of there products. Motor Silk, and there Lubri Silk bearing grease. These are the two that I'm going to order. So I'll be the guinea pig and bring this post back up to report and increases in MPG or anything else observed.

The e-mail reply:
MotorSilk: one bottle $24.95. One case $299.00.
LubriSilk #2: one 14oz tube $7.75. One case $77.00.
If interested, please call Bill Olliges at 561.287.9280.
Thanks for you inquiry.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:40 PM

So, I placed the order

Just today for the Motor Silk and the Lubri Silk Wheel bearing grease. I asked why they dont sell to the public and they said they are mainly in to industry and commerial bussiness. He also added that the market for oil additives has a bad rep. with all the stuff out there. He said there stuff really works and he said I should do an oil test before and after to check for any metal particles in the oil. I asked how much of an increase in MPG I should expect and he said 10-15% or possibly better. So right now I know I'm getting between 22-23MPG, and I am currently checking to see what I get before I add the Motor Silk. So in the next couple weeks I'll repost with any results.

My fuel economy sucks right now, and I'm blaiming the injectors. They are in good electrical condition. I did an Ohm test and a current load test. I also normally run injector cleaning fluid once and a while. So I believe either its the injector body leaking or o-rings. So this summer either I'll have a power balance test done to see what it'll tell me about the injectors or I'll just go ahead and put new o-ring and clean the filter screens. I know the engine runs just a little rich (a little carbon on tail pipe). Also she is hunting a little and I think its all due to the injectors.