General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Top Ten reasons why a Max is better than Accord and Camry

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001 | 07:09 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by Phil96SE
whats up nevin.. get a maxima that way u can come to pitt for our spring bbq
mmmm BBQ hopefully my car is done for that
Old 12-13-2001 | 07:17 PM

Originally posted by 97MaxGLE

I'm 17 and earned every (well almost every) penny for mine. I do agree that it's wrong for a high school kid to get a $30,000 car that his/her parents pay for. I don't think you can respect how much your cars worth unless you've made the money yourself. If you want the ultimate example, theres a kid that got a brand new IS300 after totalling his mom's caddy and crashing his explorer.
"maybe" the HS kid's parents wanted the kid to take the car and enjoy life since they're making $100k a year.
Old 12-13-2001 | 07:51 PM

Yeah, there's a lot of rich little kiddies in my state (CT). One down the street crashed his BMW and was driving a new one a week later.

Hey, that's great if some parents want to give their kids expensive cars to drive. My question is why? Expensive doesn't really mean more reliable does it. So what are they concerned about? Image? Or are they just gutless, bending to the kid's will? I've always found it hard to believe that people who have reached that position on the social ladder where they can afford to put their kid into a 30k or more car just because it's a status symbol or because the kid "wants it" wouldn't know better. Forget the kid (he's too stupid at this point to know the value of the dollar) - it's the parents who should know better.

Really, working for something builds character, makes you value that thing more, and makes you a better person.
Old 12-14-2001 | 04:51 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by costcowholesale

"maybe" the HS kid's parents wanted the kid to take the car and enjoy life since they're making $100k a year.
ya but then the kid doesn't and won't respect anything because he always had it handed to them. i have a nice car and i respect it and work hard for it. and my friends and family respect me for that. the kids that have a 30K car handed to them and think they are hot **** i saw, F U. you don't know the meaning of a dollar and what the real world is like. my car means a lot more to me and other people because i WORK FOR IT, everyday, sometimes twice. my car is my baby, i might drive her hard(as you have seen ) but i take care of her and i love her
Old 12-14-2001 | 11:51 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

ya but then the kid doesn't and won't respect anything because he always had it handed to them. i have a nice car and i respect it and work hard for it. and my friends and family respect me for that. the kids that have a 30K car handed to them and think they are hot **** i saw, F U. you don't know the meaning of a dollar and what the real world is like. my car means a lot more to me and other people because i WORK FOR IT, everyday, sometimes twice. my car is my baby, i might drive her hard(as you have seen ) but i take care of her and i love her
Couldn't agree more
Old 12-14-2001 | 02:16 PM

Well said! It may take more effort, but EARNING what you have is one of the most rewarding experiences in life. Teaches responsibility, discipline, and an attitude of appreciation for what others (such as your parents) had to go through to provide for you when you were a kid.
Old 12-14-2001 | 02:19 PM

FrankenCar 2.1
Old 12-14-2001 | 02:21 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale

100k/year does NOT justify a $30,000 car for their kid! What kind of car do you think $100k/year people drive? BMW 7-series, Lexus LS430?? The more accurate answer is something ordinary like a Toyota Camry 4-cylinder. A good book which describes this phenomena is "The Millionare Next Door", which describes that people become wealthy by not spending all they make.

I can tell you that just having a car in HS helped me to enjoy life a little more. It could have been a $30,000 Maxima, or a beater. Both cars would have gotten me from A to B. I can't help to think that if I had a Maxima back then, I would have probably driven a lot more dangerously and aggressively and gotten into accidents.

This is just my opinion, and you don't have to agree, but if I had a HS kid who wanted a car, I would probably agree to help them buy a safe and reliable car (like a 4-cyl Camry) with the agreement that my kid pays the whole car off to me and pays for insurance and gas. That's all they need for HS and the lesson learned from earning a car is more valuable in my opinion than my kid "enjoying life" with a fancy car. That's even if I was making $1 million/year and driving a Ferrari.
Old 12-14-2001 | 02:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Lordrandall
Only reason I care about.

No Camry or Accord V6+Manual option.

(New Camry anyway)
Late reply tyme: That's why I bought my 3rd Gen Maxima - it's the closest I can get to a 535i 5-speed without breaking the bank. Styling looks very similar too.

Originally posted by Ludacris
Too many Asian people drive Camrys and Accords. I'd like to not follow the stereotype.
Ditto here... especially where I live, where there're the most ricers per capita this side of the ocean.
Old 12-14-2001 | 03:34 PM

I didn't get a 30k car handed to me(its cheaper here in canada...) but I repect it more than my parents (they treat it like crap I don't)
Old 12-14-2001 | 03:46 PM

In the words of Ferris, "someone with priorities so far out of whack, shouldn't be allowed to own such a fine automobile"...
Old 12-15-2001 | 09:56 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
FrankenCar 2.1

greg's small *****
Old 12-16-2001 | 06:13 AM

greg's small *****
Small? Remember, MY name is Greg, your name is Steve. Steve=small *****, Greg=John Holmes.
Old 12-16-2001 | 08:59 AM

Maximas don't get stolen as much as the other two
Old 12-16-2001 | 03:38 PM

Small? Remember, MY name is Greg, your name is Steve. Steve=small *****, Greg=John Holmes.

Old 12-16-2001 | 03:45 PM

You remembered, then got sad, right?
Old 12-16-2001 | 04:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Mishap
Weren't 4th Gen Maximas the best selling import V6 sedan for a while when they were on fire sale just before the 5th Gen's came out? I see far more 4th/5th Gen Maximas than I see V6 Accords or Camrys.

The only reason you can get a Max loaded for under 30K is b/c of the manual. A GLE w/ sunroof, traction control, and side airbags(all standard on TL-S) lists for $29,485.00. The TL-S lists for $31,710.00 and has a better warranty, heated front seats, 4 wheel independent suspension, 5spd auto w/ sport shift, and luxury brand customer service. To get the luxury nameplate w/ you gotta go Infiniti and with a equally equipped I35 (except the extra sunshade), you get a MSRP of $31,375.00. The Maxima is no longer the steal it once was. Its gotten more expensive and luxury laden w/ each year yet it still has a lot of economy features left. Take out Shadow's rear seat and you can actually see the ground since they left out some grommets.

As for the theft rate, Maximas are the most commonly stolen cars in NYC.
well afriend of mine got a 2k in february of 2000 grey lustre SE 5speed,grey leather,side airbags,heated seats/mirrors,bose cd/cass,moonroof,basicly every option but the auto,which is kind of an option in my mind,well maybe a cost cutting option cause its better and saves $,cause when he bought it,they redirected him to 3 different dealers to test drive a manual..anyway he paid 27.5 for it,which is an excellent price for so much car
Old 12-16-2001 | 04:21 PM

You remembered, then got sad, right?

no that's rolleyes.
Old 12-16-2001 | 04:53 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by got rice?
Maximas don't get stolen as much as the other two
Not if you live in NY

Why a Maxima:

1- Looks better
2- Faster
3- Cheaper if bought used
4- Better 6 cyl engine

Main reason - cheaper and looks better.
Old 12-16-2001 | 04:55 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

Not if you live in NY

Why a Maxima:

1- Looks better
2- Faster
3- Cheaper if bought used
4- Better 6 cyl engine

Main reason - cheaper and looks better.
I don't know if you noticed, but in the NYC area, Maximas cost MORE than Camry's of the same year and option level.
Old 12-16-2001 | 08:11 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I don't know if you noticed, but in the NYC area, Maximas cost MORE than Camry's of the same year and option level.

nope, I haven't noticed.
I guess if they are new, now a days when Maximas moved up in class... But judging by the bluebook values, maximas are cheaper then V6 camrys/accords with same options + same milage. At least they were that way the last time I checked. I wouldn't really buy an NYC used car anyways.
Old 12-17-2001 | 07:34 AM

My 1999 toyota camry LE V6 5 speed cost me $20,500 out the door. This included passenger/driver AND side airbags, 4 wheel disk brakes (of course), 6 speaker CD/TAPE/am-fm radio, cruise control, alloy wheels, alarm etc etc.

I know maximas arent cheaper cause i wanted one (at least in south florida they werent). When i bought my car it was the last 99 on the lot and the only 5 speed v6 camry in south florida at the time. All the maxima dealerships had 00's on the lots and i couldnt get any good deals on a 5 speed (they pretty much jerked me around) so i just went for the Toyota. I think the cheapest i found a 5th gen maxima at the time (they just got released) was around $23,500 for the options i wanted. I knew they were faster but even $20,500 was a lot for me at the time and i wanted to be able to mod it.
Old 12-17-2001 | 12:24 PM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by 97MaxGLE

I can agree with that. I think there are 6 Maxima in my high school parking lot. I have the best except for maybe the 2002 but at least I have the best looking.
I have the only Max in my school parking lot too. There was a 1992, but the tranny broke, so I'm the only one there. My only competition is a 2001 330i and a V6 Malibu (HA!)