General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is it financially risky to deal with Nissan dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 04:12 PM

Is it financially risky to deal with Nissan dealers?

A large number of posts here detail what appears to be extreme price gouging by service and parts departments- in diagnosis, parts, service, and labor.

Many manufacturers' dealers have reputations for high rates compared to smaller repair shops, but this pattern appears to be way deeper than that.

After a while it occured to me that maybe bleeding customers is the business model?

I am very reluctant to have the Maxima visit a dealer - as it seems I might be prey for the car service fraud monster.

Is this just my reaction to exaggerated rip offs, or does this feeling reflect a real risk?

Last edited by Intrepid1; 07-05-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:47 PM

i dont like dealing with dealers or big garages, usually i only get work done by small garages or private people who have a good reputation
Old 07-05-2010, 05:01 PM

The whole SES light thing, way over average sensors needing replacement, motor mounts and idle air controls frying ECUs? a bad reputation for coils needing replacement . . .

Then reading about many people's cars at dealers needing several thousand dollars to get running again?

Several thousand dollars on most cars is a transmission or an engine, not computers and sensors going beserk.

Both the manufacturer and the dealers share in the profitable business driven by bad design . . .
Old 07-05-2010, 05:34 PM

yeah thats basically why. a member on here pointed me out to a guy who works as a mechanic from his home and is $50 a hour and you bring your own parts. he said that the guy is the only person he trusts with his Maxima. the small garage i usually go to quoted me $1200 for the timing belt and water pump and hes doing my timing belt, water pump, tensioner, thermostat, oil change and coolant change as well as all new seals for $500, $650 if theres lots of rusty bolts.

i get it back Wednesday, if all is good hes my new mechanic
Old 07-05-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid1
The whole SES light thing, way over average sensors needing replacement, motor mounts and idle air controls frying ECUs? a bad reputation for coils needing replacement . . .

Then reading about many people's cars at dealers needing several thousand dollars to get running again?

Several thousand dollars on most cars is a transmission or an engine, not computers and sensors going beserk.

Both the manufacturer and the dealers share in the profitable business driven by bad design . . .
Not really. Everything you mentioned will not last forever, they will go out. If you wait to fix them (meaning neglect the car), then yes things will pile up, and it will end up taking thousands to fix. The frying of an ECU doesn't happen as soon as the IACV goes bad, its has to have been bad for a while. Only when you leave it there, and dont fix it, will it fry the ecu. Coils, just like spark plugs, distributors, and spark plug wires will have to be replaced at some point. Nothing on a car lasts forever, but if you take care of things as they happen, instead of waiting for the car to stop running, then the maintenance on Maximas is EXTREMELY low. Compare the maintenance costs to that of Audi, Mercedes, we've got it good. As far as reliability, compare it to most any GM, or Ford from 89-05, The Maxima will beat most of them if not all. A car is only as reliable as the owner, so if you wait for the car to stop running, and it ends up costing an arm & leg to fix, then its your fault, not the car's. As far as the coils needing replacement I only know of the 99 coils being a bad batch, maybe someone else can chime in if there are any other bad ones. You assume that all the threads you have read, are from everyone on the org, and they aren't, just some. **** happens. Nothing on a car is designed to last forever, its impossible to make it. Even Hondas and Toyotas have their problems. As far as parts, we get discounted OEM Nissan parts from Dave B, you should contact him if you need a part. And there is a reason why we call ALL dealerships, not just Nissan dealerships, "stealerships". Its not a Nissan thing, all stealerships are the same way. So unless your car is still under warranty, take your car to a private mechanic, they are usually lower. And don't wait for the car to say fuc it, to decide to fix it.

Last edited by Shift_Nismo; 07-05-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Nismo
Not really. Everything you mentioned will not last forever, they will go out. If you wait to fix them (meaning neglect the car), then yes things will pile up, and it will end up taking thousands to fix. The frying of an ECU doesn't happen as soon as the IACV goes bad, its has to have been bad for a while. If I have time between the IACV first acting up and the ECU event, what a relief. Only when you leave it there, and dont fix it, will it fry the ecu. Coils, just like spark plugs, distributors, and spark plug wires will have to be replaced at some point.Agreed. Nothing on a car lasts forever, but if you take care of things as they happen, instead of waiting for the car to stop running, then the maintenance on Maximas is EXTREMELY low. Compare the maintenance costs to that of Audi, Mercedes, we've got it good. As far as reliability, compare it to most any GM, or Ford from 89-05, The Maxima will beat most of them if not all. A car is only as reliable as the owner, so if you wait for the car to stop running, and it ends up costing an arm & leg to fix, then its your fault, not the car's. As far as the coils needing replacement I only know of the 99 coils being a bad batch, maybe someone else can chime in if there are any other bad ones. Just got a very well maintained 2001 and the 1320 and the 0301 code, along with a miss in #1 cylinder prompted me to buy coils. You assume that all the threads you have read, are from everyone on the org, and they aren't, just some. **** happens. Nothing on a car is designed to last forever, its impossible to make it. Even Hondas and Toyotas have their problems. As far as parts, we get discounted OEM Nissan parts from Dave B, you should contact him if you need a part. And there is a reason why we call ALL dealerships, not just Nissan dealerships, "stealerships". Its not a Nissan thing, all stealerships are the same way. So unless your car is still under warranty, take your car to a private mechanic, they are usually lower. And don't wait for the car to say fuc it, to decide to fix it.
You make very good points, and I generally agree with all of them.

Maybe it's me, being used to newer cars. Recently I decided to forgo the new car/payment scene and buy quality used. I did expect to put some money into the Max, but its sort of freaky to have it a week and the SES light comes on and the engine starts missing.

I am mainly surprised that this car did it so fast, as the previous owner was almost fanatical about maintence and generally taking care of the car.

I really like the Maxima, and plan to take care of it as well (really better) that new cars I've owned.

So far changed the trans fluid, disconnected the mounts (they were starting to sing after shutdown), and ordered coils. I plan to install a new IACV as soon as it hiccups (maybe sooner), and carefully inspect the mounts and bushings and such.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Yeah that true, I used to work in a Toyota dealership and we have a detail department that charges $450 dollars to do a Gold package detail...

And after sitting there and watching them work one evening I found out that I could do that "Gold" package myself if I had $65 bucks with $25 of that being a orbital buffer. And the rest going into Meguiares products and renting a carpet cleaner. And it took one guy about 3 hours to complete. So even if he were paid $100 dollars an hour, it still wouldn't come out to the $450 they were charging.

Bleh! Over charging and over glorifying, that is how they make money... Now this is Toyota, I am sure Honda, and Nissan, and any other manufacturer aren't far away in the over charge scale.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid1
You make very good points, and I generally agree with all of them.

Maybe it's me, being used to newer cars. Recently I decided to forgo the new car/payment scene and buy quality used. I did expect to put some money into the Max, but its sort of freaky to have it a week and the SES light comes on and the engine starts missing.

I am mainly surprised that this car did it so fast, as the previous owner was almost fanatical about maintence and generally taking care of the car.

I really like the Maxima, and plan to take care of it as well (really better) that new cars I've owned.

So far changed the trans fluid, disconnected the mounts (they were starting to sing after shutdown), and ordered coils. I plan to install a new IACV as soon as it hiccups (maybe sooner), and carefully inspect the mounts and bushings and such.
I understand where you are coming from. Usually buying new cars, and making a switch to used, could be a shock, as problems can come up immediately. How do you know the car was well taken care of? Did the previous owner keep all receipts, and show them to you as proof? Or did they just act like the car was the world to them? Because people lie lol. Besides, it could've been on its way out, never cleaned, etc. Did you have the car throughly looked over by a mechanic? A general rule of thumb, when buying used, have at least an extra grand to take care of things that need immediate attention, and things that MAY pop up soon. When buying used, a lot of times, your buying someone else's neglect, and things have to be fixed. Even if it's immaculate, and there are receipts, sensors, mechanical parts, etc. wear out and it could be pure coincidence that it went out when you became the owner. Buying used is definitely a learning process, so being frustrated is understandable. I can't wait till I can forgo used cars, and buy new if I want too lol. And sometimes, you have to make time for car repairs, or else the car will make you make time to get it repaired lol. Idk about you, but I would rather have it fixed on my time, then have it break down at any random time lol. Oh and before buying a new IACV, why don't you try cleaning it, or having it cleaned? A lot of times, that can solve the problem. And how many miles does your Max have? I haven't heard of 01 coils failing early, maybe yours just happened to go bad. Im not sure if its a common problem on 00-01's or not.

Last edited by Shift_Nismo; 07-05-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Yeah that true, I used to work in a Toyota dealership and we have a detail department that charges $450 dollars to do a Gold package detail...

And after sitting there and watching them work one evening I found out that I could do that "Gold" package myself if I had $65 bucks with $25 of that being a orbital buffer. And the rest going into Meguiares products and renting a carpet cleaner. And it took one guy about 3 hours to complete. So even if he were paid $100 dollars an hour, it still wouldn't come out to the $450 they were charging.

Bleh! Over charging and over glorifying, that is how they make money... Now this is Toyota, I am sure Honda, and Nissan, and any other manufacturer aren't far away in the over charge scale.
Exactly, this is nothing new lol. Car dealerships always find a way to get in those pockets lol. They rely on consumer ignorance, and fancy titles to get money out of unsuspecting buyers.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:29 AM

Haha when I was wandering around and saw the price of it, I almost cried a little.

Good God, for that price you could... buy a nice set of used rims (With no tires), maybe a fancy intake, or a nice exhaust system, or a SUPER sound system, maybe not enough to go turbo-ed or supercharged but close
Old 07-06-2010, 06:21 AM

I seriously doubt dealership parts deparments have a lot of wiggle room in the price they charge for parts.

You should direct your wrath to Nissan corporate, not the individual franchise.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:39 AM

I've been ripped off as much by private mechanics as the dealerships because I went to graduate school in the city and as such had no place to work on my car. You just can't win.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by chrome91
the small garage i usually go to quoted me $1200 for the timing belt and water pump and hes doing my timing belt, water pump, tensioner, thermostat, oil change and coolant change as well as all new seals for $500, $650 if theres lots of rusty bolts.
Sure as he11 would not trust that mechanic as your car does not have a timing belt to change.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Sure as he11 would not trust that mechanic as your car does not have a timing belt to change.
n00b VG30E have timing belts, VE30DE in 92-94 SE have VE with timing chains. Nissan switched to all DOHC TIMING CHAIN engines starting with 4th gens.

i however have a VG30E n00b
Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 AM
SuPeRmOd

personally finished with them. went for a "free" oil change (reimbursement for when i called them out for charging me to change a new belt) well...

i already went to them for 3 brackets that were causing a rattle upon acceleration. happens again. this time i find it. a flippin super old rusted bracket they place on my Y-pipe that is waaaay different than the others.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

i however have a VG30E n00b
My bad, didn't see that!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:21 PM

Nissan dealers rip you off. I needed a gear shift cover and they were charging me 80 for it !!!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 AM

Dont with dealers unless its new and you have the money..no point they rip you off
Old 07-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by threebetyou
Dont with dealers unless its new and you have the money..no point they rip you off
Originally Posted by threebetyou
I do not do my own work and suck with cars so this worried me.
And this is from your vast experience, is it?

Where do you buy genuine OEM parts?
Old 07-10-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Where do you buy genuine OEM parts?
Online, its like half the price
Old 07-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I AGREE **** DEALERS
Old 07-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gemner
Online, its like half the price
"Online" isn't a place, it's a method.

Wasn't looking for "OEM spec" parts.....looking for OEM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 PM

I feel that it is financially risky to ever take your car to a dealer to get it fixed. The only way I get my car worked on is by buying the part myself and getting my mechanic, who owns his own medium sized shop of ~4 guys, to install it. I can always get the part cheaper than basically any mechanic would charge, nevermind what a dealer would charge. The only way I see it reasonable to not buy the part yourself is if you get it from someone for nearly the same price they paid for it if they ordered in bulk and thus got a discounted price.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by dan.worts
I feel that it is financially risky to ever take your car to a dealer to get it fixed. The only way I get my car worked on is by buying the part myself and getting my mechanic, who owns his own medium sized shop of ~4 guys, to install it. I can always get the part cheaper than basically any mechanic would charge, nevermind what a dealer would charge. The only way I see it reasonable to not buy the part yourself is if you get it from someone for nearly the same price they paid for it if they ordered in bulk and thus got a discounted price.
Have you thought about what happens if there is problem with that part 3 months after you pay to ahve it installed?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 AM

Have you thought about what happens if there is problem with that part 3 months after you pay to ahve it installed?
Do dealers warranty their auto shops' work?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 AM

i would imagine so nearly all mechanics do as well, some people working out of their home may not but im sure dealers do
Old 07-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Of course they do, and they also warranty the parts they install.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:14 PM

i would imagine so nearly all mechanics do as well, some people working out of their home may not but im sure dealers do

Of course they will, but that wasn't the question.
Ask them if they will warranty the parts YOU bring in.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:50 PM

Ask yourself, is the warranty worth the price gouging? I guess it's give-and-take, and personal preference.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 PM

IMHO the dealer business model is very flawed.

They want numbers. They mostly pressure their people to put points on the board. They want a certian amount by months end.

Contrast that to a small (relatively) independant shop. The good ones (there is some bad in everything) build their business on goodwill and trust. They deliver more than expected, and gain many customers by referrals from happy customers. The numbers take care of themselves on a win - win model.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 PM

Ask yourself, is the warranty worth the price gouging? I guess it's give-and-take, and personal preference.
What gouging?

Where are you buying OEM parts for so little?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 PM

What gouging?

Where are you buying OEM parts for so little?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gouging

(sorry, I've always wanted to use that site, not trying to be a jerk!)

And nah, I don't go OEM usually, I go OEM-spec, for example, this "OEM Quality" knock sensor at a monstrous price cut from a dealer's rate http://compare.ebay.com/like/140404926876?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&rvr_id=&c rlp=1_263602_263632&UA=WVF%3F&GUID=ceb05df81290a0e204e48ab4ffcdec81&itemid=14040 4926876&ff4=263602_263632
or if you really want OEM... same item here, cheap. http://www.tnautoparts.net/servlet/t...-SENSOR/Detail
Old 07-14-2010, 04:14 AM

And nah, I don't go OEM usually,
Then you're comparing apples to oranges.

If you buy a cheap water pump from Online Joe, and have your mechanic install it...and six months later it leaks...
Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 AM

you guys are absolutely right, the dealers ALWAYS price gouge. They charge 100/hr for labor which is ridiculously high.

For that reason, whenever i go to the dealer, i always negotiate the price for maintenance work. they wanted to charge me 850 for replacing a few seals and o2 sensor. I got them down to 600.

Dealer or mechanic, you can always negotiate the price, especially if u feel the price is too high. Why wd u not

Courtesynissan.com ftw Btw
Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have found myself a good mechanic and i now bring my car to him for general service and repairs. His prices are not a lot cheaper than the dealers.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dimitri459
I have found myself a good mechanic and i now bring my car to him for general service and repairs. His prices are not a lot cheaper than the dealers.
whats tha shop name. i might know it.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 AM

They know your car better then anyone however, they will rape you on prices and are not too familar with aftermarket products only OEM parts.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:50 PM

I will never stop at a nissan dealership again.

If I need new OEM parts I buy from Dave B. or courtesyparts.com.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by jwsmith
I will never stop at a nissan dealership again.

If I need new OEM parts I buy from Dave B. or courtesyparts.com.
Courtesy Nissan, that big Nissan dealership in Richardson, Texas?
Old 08-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Why are you getting so intense about defending dealerships, SteveB?

Dave B. has established himself as a human, complete with soul and empathy!, who gives great quotes on OEM parts for Maxima.org members. I have yet to read about someone getting a quote from Dave and a quote from their local dealer and picking their local dealer. Maybe you can link me to those threads..?

In any case, Courtesy Nissan is not repairing our cars, only sending us the parts needed to get the work done elsewhere. I'm sure they charge just as much for repairs as all the other dealers.

Quick Reply: Is it financially risky to deal with Nissan dealers?