General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

WSP installs Subframes on Matt93SEs car==>>

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 08:40 PM

WSP installs Subframes on Matt93SEs car==>>

I just got off the phone with Dallas. He told me the install was easily done and Matt left with a GF who was getting car sick due to Matt's "test driving" If any of you know Matt he was born to be a test pilot. He drives his car like he stole it and is trying to get away. Initial impressions were quite positive. We have asked him to drive it hard over the week end. We will be posting some photos and critiques on Sunday night. Thanks to all who have already ordered. First shipment goes out Wed.

Dan WSP
Old 12-14-2001, 08:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: WSP installs Subframes on Matt93SEs car==>>

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
I just got off the phone with Dallas. He told me the install was easily done and Matt left with a GF who was getting car sick due to Matt's "test driving" If any of you know Matt he was born to be a test pilot. He drives his car like he stole it and is trying to get away. Initial impressions were quite positive. We have asked him to drive it hard over the week end. We will be posting some photos and critiques on Sunday night. Thanks to all who have already ordered. First shipment goes out Wed.

Dan WSP
, sounds good. What are your thoughts on making a bolt on subframe? I know you mentioned it was a possibilty for the future, but any idea if and when? I personally don't really like the idea of welding a subframe on my brand new car if you know what I mean. Thanks
Old 12-14-2001, 08:53 PM

WSP subframes

We have talked about it. For now we will be making two stages. First stage is weld on and a second cross bracing stage that will bolt right up to the stage one frames. Remember if you wanted to take off a set once welded on it can be easily accomplished with a dremel wheel in about 10 min.

Dan WSP
Old 12-14-2001, 09:48 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: WSP subframes

We have talked about it. For now we will be making two stages. First stage is weld on and a second cross bracing stage that will bolt right up to the stage one frames. Remember if you wanted to take off a set once welded on it can be easily accomplished with a dremel wheel in about 10 min.

Dan WSP
cool. final pricing on the stage 2?
Old 12-15-2001, 06:35 AM

WSP subframes

We haven't talked about pricing on the 2nd stage yet. I will be talking to Dallas this weekend. All I can say at this point when we talk pricing we pay particular attention to keeping it low so people can afford it and we make a reasonable profit. One of the main reasons we started WSP was we got tired of spending alot of cash on mods, many companies charge way too much.We will be doing some posting tomorrow night, Matt93SE reviews along with Donald Montz and John the thezcarguy. Plus Dallas has a set our sisters 4th Gen. Thanks alot for your interest. And a big thanks to Maximamike, he's the one who e-mailed me several months back with the idea. If you have ideas, we are willing to take a look.

Dan WSP
Old 12-15-2001, 07:03 AM

whats the price on the stage 1 subframes, and about how much to have someone weld them on for me?

-Mike
Old 12-15-2001, 07:17 AM

WSP subframes

The stage 1 price is $125. If we get feedback from people who want them powdercoated, we may do that as well. I personally think it's over kill. I would just prime/paint them black and weld them on.
Install is easy for any experienced welder at a muffler shop. It takes about 30-40 min. To reduce time, you could do the removel of the undercoating yourself. Again, if it was me, I would just take it in to a local muffler shop, not a chain as these guys have higher overhead. Maybe even a local garage. My guess is $30-40. If you live near Arkansas Dallas can easily do it.

Dan WSP
Old 12-15-2001, 01:07 PM

The stage 1 price is $125. If we get feedback from people who want them powdercoated, we may do that as well. I personally think it's over kill. I would just prime/paint them black and weld them on.
Install is easy for any experienced welder at a muffler shop. It takes about 30-40 min. To reduce time, you could do the removel of the undercoating yourself. Again, if it was me, I would just take it in to a local muffler shop, not a chain as these guys have higher overhead. Maybe even a local garage. My guess is $30-40. If you live near Arkansas Dallas can easily do it.

Dan WSP
Dan and Dallas, I'm headed to NW Arkansas around Christmas, any chance you will have some available around then, and can Dallas put them on????????
Old 12-15-2001, 05:03 PM

WSP subframes

jran76, Call Dallas, it is a possibility. He may be too busy, but we have several friends at local muffler shops who probably would be willing. Dallas 1-866-801-9338 Early evenings are ok, what your do you have?

Dan WSP
Old 12-15-2001, 05:10 PM
Administrator

whats the difference between stage 1 and 2? i wasn't paying attention in class
Old 12-15-2001, 05:19 PM

WSP subframes

Sprintmax, Here's the link to some PICs of stage 1 http://warpspeedperformance.com/subframe.htm

Welded on in several spots. Stage 2 will be a bolt on application. Read my previous posting on this. It will have several braces that go from side to side. It will bolt right up to the stage 1. Should be easy to upgrade. Dallas and I have yet to talk on prices, Guesitamation? Around $50, but don't quote me. We should have prices in 48 hours or so.

Dan WSP
Old 12-15-2001, 05:54 PM

Oh boy, I know what else I want for X-mas now.

How about a nice 4 point FSTB that will fit VE Maximas next?
Old 12-15-2001, 08:17 PM

Whoa! I guess i missed the post where you said these were ready for sale!!! So do the improve even if you have an RSB and FSTB?? 125 is a damn nice price, so even if its a little improvment its good.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Lordrandall
Oh boy, I know what else I want for X-mas now.

How about a nice 4 point FSTB that will fit VE Maximas next?
Stop stealing idea, now, phreak!

Old 12-16-2001, 12:30 AM

this might be retarded...

but exactly what does this improve (obviously handling) and how... thanks! I don't have a rsb , would this be a good thing to put in its place?
Old 12-16-2001, 01:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: this might be retarded...

Originally posted by hlh0501
but exactly what does this improve (obviously handling) and how... thanks! I don't have a rsb , would this be a good thing to put in its place?
It improves chassis stiffnes and torsional rigidity, so that it reduces the amount of twisting and flex in the body as you corner. This keeps the suspension geometry (more) correct in relation to the road and each other so they do their job better. That's the theory anyway. It's a consequence of our cars' unibody design, since it doesn't have a full box frame like big RWD cars used to have.

It sounds like this is a good mod that will simply make your car feel better more than anything else. I don't think it would be a substitute for a RSB though, and I (personally) think the RSB should be a better mod for increasing the cornering limits (by reducing understeer and stiffening the rear susp.), but the SFCs would make the car feel more solid so.... I really think it'd be great to get both. They'd probably compliment each other really well because both individually sound like they make a big difference.

(btw, your SE does have a RSB, just not an aftermarket one. But at least you're ahead of the GXE owners in that dept.)
Old 12-16-2001, 08:30 AM

jran76, Call Dallas, it is a possibility. He may be too busy, but we have several friends at local muffler shops who probably would be willing. Dallas 1-866-801-9338 Early evenings are ok, what your do you have?

Dan WSP
I'll try to call him, I am in Germany right now, so it might be when I return later in the week, I am busy with work over here, and there is a 7 hour time diff. Dallas installed the Y pipe at the muffler shop, Best Brake and muffler I think, y-pipe is great, but a more rigid chasis would be nice. I have a 97 SE...... I will try to call.
Old 12-16-2001, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: this might be retarded...

is that it under this car? that little thing? the stock RSB

Originally posted by Bman

It improves chassis stiffnes and torsional rigidity, so that it reduces the amount of twisting and flex in the body as you corner. This keeps the suspension geometry (more) correct in relation to the road and each other so they do their job better. That's the theory anyway. It's a consequence of our cars' unibody design, since it doesn't have a full box frame like big RWD cars used to have.

It sounds like this is a good mod that will simply make your car feel better more than anything else. I don't think it would be a substitute for a RSB though, and I (personally) think the RSB should be a better mod for increasing the cornering limits (by reducing understeer and stiffening the rear susp.), but the SFCs would make the car feel more solid so.... I really think it'd be great to get both. They'd probably compliment each other really well because both individually sound like they make a big difference.

(btw, your SE does have a RSB, just not an aftermarket one. But at least you're ahead of the GXE owners in that dept.)
Old 12-16-2001, 08:40 AM

Re: Re: WSP subframes

If I am correct (someone correct me if I am wrong), the stock sway bar is inside the rear beam axle........
Old 12-16-2001, 01:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I told Dan that I thought using a muffler shop to weld the subrfarmes on would be better than anywhere else because they weld overhead and out of position daily. It is a pretty simple install, it will save some time if prior to install if you hold them in position and remove the undercoating in the area and use a scraper to remove the paint as well. I am also going to suggest that you take a small 1 qt spray bottle full of water along and have the installer weld in 1" increments so as to not overheat the floor area. We smoked up the shop pretty good Friday and always keep a spray bottle handy.

What really stiffens up the car is what you don't see in the photo link Dan mentioned, we tie into the stabilizer bracket area as well which then gives you an area of about 10 sq feet which has been stiffened. So you get longitudinal stiffening as wellas latitudinal stiffening as well. It made a big difference on my 96SE, I removed my aftermarket sway bar and fstb prior to the install to see how much difference it would make without them. We will be installing the modified X brace on mine this week and them I will be adding the fstb and swarbar. Should have the Gtech in shortly.

The photo above sure looks like a swaybar to me but I know mine looks thicker.

jran76: Give me a call and we should be able to fix you up, if it will be late send an email and I'll email my home number. I just got my Apexi catback in and may have it on mine by the time you get here.

I am also going to make up some kits for installing a 2000/2001 muffler on a gen 4 and when we get Matt back over here I will try to get one made for the gen 3 as well.

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Old 12-16-2001, 02:09 PM

One of these posts said you need to paint somthing? Do you really have to? Its not like anyone will be looking under my car and be shocked that things look a bit rusty, hehe.

The onyl reason i havent ordered yet is becuase i want to know for sure its going to add to my handling even though i have RSB FSTB and pretty soon KYBS...
Old 12-16-2001, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Maximamike

Stop stealing idea, now, phreak!

Old 12-18-2001, 01:28 AM

that photo is the addco .. the thicker one is the stillen..

btw, what are the SF's made of? I went to buy a muffler the other day, used, and it was RUSTED STRAIGHT THRU.. felt like sand in the muffler..

im definitely interested, but id want stage 2. do we get a discount for buyin stage 1 first?

thanks