General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What made you get in maxima's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 PM

Let's see

I was around 9 years old...my aunt just got a sterling mist '99 SE...and I thought it was the hottest thing I've ever seen...so now I have an '01 sterling AE 5-speed and I couldn't be happier
Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 AM

My "new to me" 01 I30 found me. I'm getting ready to make a weekly slog from St. Louis to Louisville, KY for work and was looking for something other than my Jeep Wrangler to make the trip. As I was researching what to get, I ended up talking to a friend who's husband was thinking of selling their I30 because they couldn't ship it to Hawaii (Army only will ship one car from mainland US to Hawaii for free). They offered me a great deal and I bought the car.

It's not my first Nissan, as my the first car I actually bought (not just borrowed from my parents) was a 92 Sentra SE (not SE-R, darn). I have fond memories of that car, as it never let me down in 5 years/150k miles of ownership.

I also talked with my buddy who's owned a ton of Nissan's who told me to buy the car, as it was a great deal. He also turned me on the .org and has even come to town to help me wrench on the car... how's that for a friend!

As I bought my I30 for about the same money I sold my Sentra for years ago, with almost the same miles, it's like I'm continuing on with the same car... but with a lot more power and style.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lemon Aid!

I had had enough of the 4-cylinerds, mini-vans and SUVs and wanted something with some spirit. Didn't know much about anything so I bought a book called "Lemon Aid" that reviewed used cars. They listed the Maxima as "above average".

Bought a Forest Green '98 SE with 120,000 Kms and drove it for 7 spirited years before selling it to a guy who seemed very happy to get his hands on it -- even with 386,000 Kms on the odometer.

Then bought a Black '03 SE with 52,000 Kms. Holding on to it until the price is right for a 2010. (Don't like the look of the '04 - '09 generation).
Old 09-16-2010, 07:38 PM

great stories... damn i'd love to get a car for free like some of you guys lol
Old 09-17-2010, 12:59 AM

Got a 3rd gen as a high school graduation gift.

Upon completing college, and getting a job. I saved enough to buy a brand new car. After looking at other brands, I still ended up with a maxima.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 PM

wasn't looking for a maxima, just seen one posted for sale. Got it to make a drift wagon but have no time to get it to where i want it to be. Just daily driver with minor mods for now
Old 09-18-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally my mom had 5 Maximas through the 80's up to 2000. Her favorite one was an '89 that she kept for 12 years and traded in for a brand new 2000 Maxima. After that she went to Navigators, Sequoias, etc. because our family was growing and we couldnt all fit in a Maxima anymore (everyone in our immediate family is over 5'10").

Since I was 16 Ive had a 1991 Chevy Z71 (still own), 2000 Cadillac DTS (still own), and a 2003 Ford Explorer. I was getting tired of the Explorer because it was killing me on gas and even though I had put some money into it (system, 22"s, lighting mods), I was never excited to drive it.

I had been looking at Maximas since the 2004 body style and finally decided I wanted one. I had never even ridden or driven in one since my mom's 2000 but I knew I would love it. Thats how I found my 2004 Maxima SE Elite. I love this car and its the first one I look forward to driving every day and I cant wait to start putting some money in it and seeing what these things can do!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Heh this one is a long story.

Had an '89 Taurus 3.8 as my first car (from '99 ~ early '02) and it was a POS obviously, but it was cheap and got me to college and my main job. I also learned a little on how to fix cars, not by choice but by neccesity. On the side I used to help one of my high school friends repo cars from all over Massachusetts. One of the banks he repoed for financed alot of BMWs, 4th gens, and Altimas so we used to beat the sh*t out of these cars, aka melting tires and triple digit speeds. The E46 M3s being the best out of those cars to repo.

When it came time to get rid of the Taurus I wanted a car that was sporty, reliable, had some aftermarket, and was a sleeper. Totally wanted an E46 M3 but no way in hell I could afford it and it wasn't a sleeper. I almost bought a '02 Pontiac Grand Am V6 4 door but test drove a '98 Maxima SE and was sold on it. Also at the time the price on the used Maxima was much less than the Pontiac and the Maxima had a few more options and a bit more power.

This is why my screen is the way it is, not very creative but thats what I had when I signed up to the org in 2002.

About a year into having the '98 I wanted a manual transmission but could not part with the car. Wanted a 300ZXTT but again I could not afford one used and didn't know enough about Z32s to fix one properly. So I searched the org and bought a black '96 SE 5 speed which had every option possible on the car, except the multi disk CD changer. It ended up being a POS and I had to spend a bit of money to make it a decent car, but it was also to learn how to do body work and engine swaps.

So I had two black 4th gens for a couple of years, learned how to fix the '96 and daily drove the '98. Some of the OGs may remember my old sig with the two black 4th gens in it side by side.

Anyways my sister now has my old '98 with almost 200K miles on it and it still runs like a champ, which is amazing cause she never takes care of that car.

Now I mod the '96 and use it on road courses for HPDEs. Though hindsight is always 20/20, I should of got something RWD like the M3 or Z32. But it is so modded now it can hang with about half the cars on the track and it always is a fun conversation starter with other track guys. I have a few more suspension ideas in the works and a possible engine build to do but that will be it for this car.

Life Lessons Learned -

If you want an awesome car work hard and save your money, never settle for something less.

Never buy a modded car without giving it a good inspection, bring someone along that knows alot more about cars to help you.

Maximas are nice but being FWD and having a poor OEM suspension design limits them in the handling department.

If you are going to do any road course stuff get something RWD or AWD, even if its slow. You can always turbo almost any car.

If you are going to seriously modify any car get a half decent 2nd vehicle for a daily driver!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 PM

my first car was handed to me by my brother which was an 01 trailblazer (pretty much jus a blazer but upgraded addition) i destroyed the hell out of it had it for a year. then sold it didnt have a car for a year then my rents moved down to tampa (course i had to go, senior year in high school wud be in florida) so they pretty much said if ur good while were down here (had to finish junior year) we'll get u a car. we looked at a lot of cars but i always loved maximas. then i found a 97 maxima se, had to look at it. n now im rollin around in it. now its on to little mods =]
Old 09-18-2010, 03:17 PM

the devil made me do it.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by anomaly117
the devil made me do it.

what else does he make you do? drive to Grim Reaper to and from work everyday?
Old 09-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91

what else does he make you do? drive to Grim Reaper to and from work everyday?
terrible things. you dont wanna know.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 PM

terrible things. you dont wanna know.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:12 PM

to be honest, as soon as i saw an 89 maxima i wanted one. i love the style of the cars, and nissan is the way to go.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:14 PM

AND THERE FAST!
Old 09-18-2010, 06:36 PM

In '98 our Plymouth mini van was headed for the junk yard. So my 2 kids an I went looking for a good used car. My daughter spotted a forest green 96 Max and the rest is history. She eventually ended up with car when she went off to college. I'm on my 3rd max now, a dark slate 2010. But the 96 was a great looking car, an the green color changing paint was top notch.

Last edited by Lemonhawk; 09-18-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:10 AM

honestly what happened is a friend of mine in high school had a black 00 se. he let me drive it and i fell in love. got rid of the oldsmobile and picked up a 96 gxe. learned to drive a stick and HAD to trade it in for my A33 5spd.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jeremeep
AND THERE FAST!
Meh they're ok
Old 09-19-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Meh they're ok
i was thinking the same thing. after driving a buddy's sti i pretty much started hating my car's existance.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:53 AM

i was thinking the same thing. after driving a buddy's sti i pretty much started hating my car's existance.
How fast a car isn't everything. IMO the STI is kind of a ugly car but I agree it sickly fast. I used to have a Eclipse that I had put a ton of mods on it and it was way fast but ultimately I hated that car in the end. You can make a Neon fast but ultimately it is still a Neon. Or I am just getting old.

Last edited by dpeles1; 09-20-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 AM

Got into maximas cuz it's a car my wife and I both love...looks great, isnt too expensive (up to 6th gen anways) and has decent power stock...plus nissan is the ish..Have owned 2 now.. 1st one bought early 2010 was a 07. Had it for 3 months then the wife was hit by sum drunk redneck...several months later bough a tungsten blue 2000 model and couldnt be happier
Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

I was in highscool, and had been workin for a while and saved up some money. My dad manages a nissan dealership so I gave him a few thousand dollars and told him to find me a 5MT s14 240sx se . I was dead set on one. You couldnt tell me nothin. I new damn near everything about 240s before I even had one. I was back on KA-T.org when they were only making 300whp. (now they are over 1000whp)

Then one day he came home with a fcukin burgundy automatic 4th gen. I was like WTF is this POS!? It was history since then.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:45 AM

my then g/f now wife had gotten her green 95 SE in 2003 for $2,500, i had always thought that it was a nice car as i had never owned a car. well the a/c went out and she started driving my Corolla and i inherited the max. the car has grown on me especially after signing up on the .org.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by dpeles1
How fast a car isn't everything. IMO the STI is kind of a ugly car but I agree it sickly fast. I used to have a Eclipse that I had put a ton of mods on it and it was way fast but ultimately I hated that car in the end. You can make a Neon fast but ultimately it is still a Neon. Or I am just getting old.
touche. i personally think subeys are awesome looking, but you make a very valid point that i agree with.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:23 PM

touche. i personally think subeys are awesome looking, but you make a very valid point that i agree with.
I do like the new STI however.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 PM

my friend from work had one 98 se. we went out to get some lunch. i remebering lol at the the maxs he said what you lol about. i said your soccer moms car. he said this soccer moms car faster then yours i said "YEA OK". i had a 94 taruse sho. all i rember was him flying buy me at 90 mph. now i have a 96 se very fun to drive
Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM

my friend from work had one 98 se. we went out to get some lunch. i remebering lol at the the maxs he said what you lol about. i said your soccer moms car. he said this soccer moms car faster then yours i said "YEA OK". i had a 94 taruse sho. all i rember was him flying buy me at 90 mph. now i have a 96 se very fun to drive
Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 PM

could you please repeat that last statement?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:42 PM

Of course I will. Just got my Motor Trend and they have the new STI. Its a four door. No longer just a hatch which I never understood. So I should reprase my earlier comment. I think the hatcback STI is ugly.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:49 PM

Simply put, I needed a DD since my Bronco was at the 240,000 mile mark and what money wasn't going into mods and repairs was going towards 32 gallon fill ups at 10MPG. When I went to the dealership the max was the only car on the lot that I could fit in, afford and would do something when you pressed on the skinny pedal... that wasn't a grand marquis.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:25 PM

....this reply may take this thread turn into a different direction,(which im trying not to do) but i strongly disagree with this statement and most EVO/SUBI owners would agree. the subi (especially the STI) is a hot car and looks better in my opinion than the evo (the non-hatchback version)... but "sickly" fast?
...and what eclipse did you have that you put a ton of mods on, that appparently left you disappointed?

Last edited by 5 ltr. beater; 09-20-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 PM

Of course I will. Just got my Motor Trend and they have the new STI. Its a four door. No longer just a hatch which I never understood. So I should reprase my earlier comment. I think the hatcback STI is ugly.

+1 !!!!!

and poor sales numbers showed that the whole hatchback thing didnt catch on which is why they are going back to the sedan and i have to agree.....it looks really good.
..never understood the whole hatchback/toyota matrix setup.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
....this reply may take this thread turn into a different direction,(which im trying not to do) but i strongly disagree with this statement and most EVO/SUBI owners would agree. the subi (especially the STI) is a hot car and looks better in my opinion than the evo (the non-hatchback version)... but "sickly" fast?
...and what eclipse did you have that you put a ton of mods on, that appparently left you disappointed?
I did not say all STIs are ugly just primarily the hatch back. The new sedan is a much better fit.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mine is a hand me down from my mom and dad who were going to sell it and gave it to me as my first car. I hope to get it back in shape as I'd rather have a MAXIMA than a (lil old Honda civic). That and I love the body style 3rd gen. VE30DE woohoo!!! I will definitely take care of it as I don't want the reputation my dad has for ragging the snot out of some vehicles.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:13 PM

i was talking about the guy who posted twice
Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 AM

i was talking about the guy who posted twice
Oops.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 PM

i bought mine by force, not by choice :/

it was 6pm sunday afternoon and i needed to get a car before monday morning so i can get to work...
Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The luxury, and the 1/4 mile time for a 4 door sedan.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:36 PM

because it has the best turning radius ever.

Quick Reply: What made you get in maxima's?