General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What made you get in maxima's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:50 PM

Always loved them since 1981 and adored the 3rd gen when it was introduced in the fall of 1988 (The 1989 Model)...but I was uncertain if I could afford it and bought my Hardbody pickup instead....In 2000 I really liked the new look, cause it kinda had that 3rd Gen look I loved. Plus I had plenty of extra money so I bought my first brand new car off the showroom floor...and it was a "00" GLE with puny brakes/wheels and I wanted more WHP since by "02/03" were now rated with 33 extra hp!!!! I opted to make a trade in for more power and man it was a beast....I believe the 5.5th Gen to be a well balanced car with plenty of potential to be a hell of a highway cruising beast.....the 6.5th Gen is good looking but the 7th Gen hasn't made my heart beat like the 5.5th did and still does......
Old 09-27-2010, 04:41 AM

My buddy had a 95 Altima, and that just got me into Nissan. Started paying attention to Altimas and Maximas and decided I liked the Luxury aspect of the Maxima.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:35 PM

as the story goes like this, in need of a car I pick up a 83 200sx for $500 beat the hell out of it for a couple of years, pick up a 84 200sx for $900 drive that for awhile, till this tweaker kid destroyed it for me, back to driving the 83 and in need of a car in better shape (lived in MN) a guy that I work with had a 87 max for sale for $900 I look at it and I'm like well I'm not really a 4 door type of person but he is willing to take payments from me (was broke at the time) so I'm what the hell as long as it gets me around for a while. So I get it and it's running like sh7t, extremely rich, so I take it in and was going to pay the $70 to find out what was wrong, tech comes out after 5 min and tells me about the recall on injectors and harness, so set up a appointment to have it taken care of, get that all fixed, I was well it's not to bad for a 4 door, then the selling night was when I was out driving and managed to put the speedo on the tenth mile of the right trip odometer (for those who seen a 2nd gen gauge cluster know where that is) I was in love, drove it for a few years then the MN body lighting kit got the best of it along with IPS bearing, kept my eyes out for another 2nd gen and found one about 4 years later while I was driving a 3rd gen (aka wingnut) now my 85 sits waiting for me to get my DL back to take her out for a spin or five.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:47 PM

Got an amazing deal on my first 2003 Maxima and now won't ever go to much else besides Nissan.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my father had a 1993 Nissan Sentra , then a 1997 Sentra. Both cars were so reliable, and lasted forever... lately that 97 sentra was stolen to my brother, so sad...

anyway, I trust Nissan cars since then. I came to the states and needed a car. I saw a Maxima near my city on craigslist... I fell in love

Bought it, and I've been maintaining it. No mods so far.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:15 PM

When I was a kid my dad drove a 2nd gen as a work car. He really trashed it, the interior was all stained from food and grease and stuff, but I thought it made it pretty cool. She was beautiful, this sort of powder/silver-blue color and had that voice warning system that made her 10x cooler... anyway, one day I guess the car just broke (i didn't know what was wrong with it, i was pretty young) and my dad had someone come pick her up and she was gone ;_____;

In high school I used to ride to school with my cousin who had an aztec red 3rd gen SE and I didn't really pay attention to it too much but I always liked the color and interior.

Anyway, recently I was looking to get a work car for my boyfriend (looong story) and I wasn't really going to be picky as long as it was something Japanese since my family mostly gets Toyotas and Nissans. Well, I noticed my cousin's family hadn't been driving that 3rd gen in awhile. It was just sitting in the driveway forever, back windows held up with duct tape cause of broken regulators.. I went and talked to my uncle about possibly buying it if they didn't drive it anymore, then a couple days later they come over to my house with the car and basically dump it on me, lol. I'm like "What should I pay you?" and they tell me they were just borrowing it from my other uncle. They didn't know I wanted it for my boyfriend to drive so I had to call my other uncle up to see if I could buy it from him. He's like "I don't want any money for that old thing!" I gave him 20 bucks anyway, lol.

Annnd that's how I got my car. I was kinda mad at first because it was just sort of dumped on me, I didn't get to check it out or anything and 4 injectors were busted among other issues that I wasn't really informed of from the start. But mileage was 176k when I got it for basically free, interior is super clean, body is decent, and it's just a fun car ^_^ In retrospect, I'm glad I got it anyway... hoping to make a lot of memories with it too
Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had a few friends with Maxima's/G35's, and I had always liked them. I looked at buying a 5th gen before I bought my last car, but didn't. This time, I did.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM

I was always a Honda guy. But then I wanted a car that was a little more classy then the civics and preludes I was driving. I was about to get an accord but then my buddy told me his dad would sell me his 2000 maxima and after takin it for a test drive I jumped on it. No regrets, so far... Its only been about a month.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by MaxedOut513
I was always a Honda guy. But then I wanted a car that was a little more classy then the civics and preludes I was driving. I was about to get an accord but then my buddy told me his dad would sell me his 2000 maxima and after takin it for a test drive I jumped on it. No regrets, so far... Its only been about a month.
Same here, I've been driving Civics, and CRX's for close to 20 years now. My last Civic was a B16A swapped hatchback which a couple weeks ago I drove through some water during a flood and sucked in water, so it was either spend my money and about a week getting and installing a new motor, or get a new car. I was on the verge of dropping a H22A in there, and we found the Max at a repo lot. Took it for a test drive, and the wife and kid fell in love with four doors so the Civic's swap is on hold until tax time

I must say the Civic was quick, but this Max has a lot more get up and go in the lower and mid range. Once the suspension gets taken care of it will be pretty fun to drive.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:27 PM

The style is unmatched. It sticks out no matter where I go, Most kids my age drive that I know drive Altimas, Civics, Accords, etc. Maybe on or two G coupes.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 PM

My brother had a 6th gen so learned I about maximas before I even got my license. When it came time for me to get a car, I decided I'm gonna look for an 98-02 Honda accord ex coupe (I've wanted that car since I was like 13) or a 5th gen maxima. So one day my brother checks me out of school so we could go look at a car, it was a 00 maxima with low miles. We get there and it wasn't maintained the way we thought, was dirty, etc. So we went to another dealership to try our luck and ran into a 02 accord coupe ex V6 fully loaded.. Just what I wanted. We talked the guy down a bit on the price to what was in my buget so test driving it was next.. We get the key, go to turn the car on, and it won't turn on. The car salesmen says oh we forgot to put gas in it (not sure on how true that was) but we couldn't test drive it that night. He said he'll give us a call tomorrow after it's filled up and we can go from there. So at this point we were gonna get the accord the next day if everything checked out. Well just because I was curious, I tell my brother to check out a couple more dealerships. We find another maxima but they were asking too much. We finally went to the last dealership of the day and they didn't have any 5th gens on their lot and we were about to leave but the salesmen says they just got an 02 over the weekend that they haven't even listed the price for. So we test drive it (02 white se, just basic with cloth seats). I fell in love with it! It was exactly what I wanted. We settled the deal for 7200 out the door with 92k. It was a 1 owner. I couldn't believe I got the car that day. It was the most exciting day ever, it may not sound like it because I'm leaving out a lot because this post is already too long. But in conclusion, I wanted the maxima because it was 4 doors which equals less insurance, more people that I could give rides to and made enough power to keep me satisfied.

Enjoy my little story
Old 10-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
i guess its my turn for one of these status's...

I first owned a GL ford taurus which i hated but wanted a car moreso, my friend (24kondaway) at the time owned a mirage and swear by racing, i knew nothing about cars, i mean like not even what an intake was... i remember him talking about headers for the mirage and how he would kick everybody's ****, anyways long story short he sold the mirage for a maxima and messed around with my slow **** taurus everytime we left school, i was pissed, i told him you ish aint that fast i bet ill get a maxima and whoop your maxima's ****, which i did and history was made from then.....

Afforable used car, sedan, available ground effects, available supercharger, pearl white on black available.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:04 AM

My wife and I were in the Army stationed in Kaiserslautern, Germany back in 1992. A friend of ours had a cream colored 89 Maxima with the square tail lights. I wanted one so bad but couldn't afford one. Later, when I made more rank we looked at getting a new 92 SE but still couldn't afford it.

Seven years later in 1999 I found a black 97 SE in Houston, Tx that I bought for a good price. It had 39k miles on it, was a 5 speed and started my love of Maxima's. I took it to Germany and got a chance to drive it all out on the autobahn. After seeing the new 5th Gen Maxima's I decided to move up to a 6 speed and more hp.

I sold my 97 SE in 2006 for $4k dollars and bought a used 03 SE, 6 speed which I still have now. My 97 had 147k miles on it and was still going strong; based on that I plan on keeping my 03 until it won't drive any more. Right now I only have 107k miles so I'm probably looking at another 10+ years.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:18 AM

My dad always liked Maxima's and always talked about them when he saw one. Three months before i was planning on buying an Evo my dad asked if i wanted to go to a nissan dealership cause they were offering good deals. Long story short i traded in my VW Golf and drove off with the max
Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 AM

Started a family needed a bigger car. Bought a new 1992 Maxima SE. Awesome car. Drove it for 11 years and sold it with 126,000 miles on it to the guy down the street and 7 years later he's still driving it.
Bought a 2003 Maxima SE and still own it. Although i have to say the 92 was a better car.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:37 AM

I needed a car to get back and forth too college with. As luck would have it my dad found a 91 Black on Black SE 5spd in a local paper...I went too see it, drove it and fell in love. I didn't know a damn thing about the Maxima beforehand but not too long after I was on Maxima.org searching and learning.

That car was written off one night where I was driving like a douche. I didn't buy another Maxima for 3 years but I never forgot the car, I bought a 92 EG civic hatch and really enjoyed it, but something was missing.

After selling the EG I found a 2000 Sterling Mist on Black leather SE 5spd and again, drove it and fell in love. After a few Mods the car really came too life and I loved the comfort, refinement and increased power. I always felt like these cars delivered the total package for what I was looking for.

As time went on I had to sell that car in order too buy my house. I missed it ever since and then this past spring I was ready to buy another fun car and ended up hunting down and finding my "ideal" maxima. The 2003 TE SE 6spd in Polished Titanium.

I've owned it for the summer and I love it every time I drive it. I did all my mods immediately and regret nothing except not getting the Tein Coilovers.

Something special about this car for me, Must be because I keep coming back.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Name says it all

Hello,

New Max owner. Just got an '02 Maxima GLE. The reason I got this car was purely by accident (hence my oh so clever screen name).

My 2002 Ford Explorer's transmission **** the bed as they are wont to do, so I needed a car right away (didn't feel like spending 2G to fix something that was inherently flawed).

I looked for a large sedan in my humble price range and remembered that I once liked the look and power of the Maximas. There was one near me with low miles (66K) so I went and gave it a look.

The seat motor was on the way out, they agreed to replace. The shocks feel very squishy and disconnected but this IS an 8 year old car after all. I'll be replacing those asap. Please tell me the car isn't SUPPOSED to feel like that. Should I do the bushings as well?

Anyway, no pics yet or anything, but I enjoyed the interior comforts and the engine very much, this thing moves out for such a lardy car.

Sorry I'm not one of the "I always dreamed of owning a Maxima" types, but I think the car is going to grow on me a lot.

Can I ask a few questions or will I be told to use the search button?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maxident
Can I ask a few questions or will I be told to use the search button?
search first and if you dont find a answer post it, theres alot of people here with anger issues towards people not searching

i cant see why, new threads give us more hits on Google and stuff but whatever
Old 10-18-2010, 12:17 PM

I really have no idea, I've just always liked them since the 4th gen days.
My dad was in the market for a new car to replace their 86 Celebrity wagon back in 1999.
They were going to buy something American like a Malibu or Intrepid, I urged him to look at a used 4th gen (would be still new at the time) but they actually bit the bullet and bought a 2000 brand new in November of 1999. They still (my folks) drive the car daily and its been rock solid reliable minus a few small repairs and a water pump.
I've always loved Nissan and I've owned a 2002 Altima and a 2002 Maxima now. I'd still love to own a nice clean 4th gen someday as well! They are just hard to find without body rot in my area
Old 10-18-2010, 03:57 PM

I like my 02 maxima SE, i don't like that it's a manual. I wish i had gotten with with an auto......flame away!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:42 PM

I've had a number of cars over the years most were vans that i bought for work (and then crashed), then one convertible I bought just to re-sell.
Well once I sold it, time came to buy a car I _wanted_ I picked a maxima because my dad had one for 8 years and NEVER had any issues (almost 400k km on it).

So, picked one up exactly same year and exactly same colour as my dad's. Then went searching for other people who liked the maximas and ended up here. =)
Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 1996 Ford died a horrible death and I was walking past the used car yard when I saw it- watched it for a couple of weeks and pounced when they dropped the price by $3000 on a weekend sale. It was a few years old but had very low mileage and looked and ran like new. Still very happy a year on. There are a couple of disappointing design aspects of the vehicle which puzzled me and when I find the appropriate forum for that will try to discuss with other owners.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:30 PM

when i was growing up in the 4th gen era, they were really popular here amongst the russians, they were getting boosted left and right. so i said, one day ill boost me one too. plus around that time sedans weren't that quick, the camrys and hondas were mostly 4cyl and maximas had more pep, fave 4th gen is a 99 se, white on black leather, still is the prettiest to me.
but got older and just decided to buy one, 99 gle was the first one, then saved up more money and switched to a 2002se 3 years later, going to have this one prolly for another 3-4 years, very happy with my maximas =]
Old 10-22-2010, 04:31 PM

I bought mine very cheap
Old 10-22-2010, 08:15 PM

watching the nissan commercials back in high school and really liked there marketing scheme about how other cars like it.....0. I started doing more research into them after that. Of course this was for the 5 gen and I could not afford it so i looked into the 4 gen and found one at a BMW dealer that had tint 5spd with 55,955 miles. 11 years later still own the Max and spending thousands of dollars to remove the cancer and bring her back to her prime....plus do major engine modification.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:03 AM

i got my 95 gle from my cousin as a hand me down.
and to be completely honest, i thought it was going to be a grandma slow piece of **** car. until i punched the pedal a little bit.
i literally almost got a whiplash. i thought, "this **** is faster than the BMW i used to drive"
i learned that it came with 196 hp stock and i thought "well it aint no 460 like my cougar but for a 3k lb car, it'll damn sure move.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:11 PM

i bought my 02 maxima cuz they were selling it for $4000 witch i thought it was great considering d well mantained condition it was in, so i was planning on buying it and then selling it for more but i just fell in love with it and now its all modded up and i aint selling it till it goes out or i flip over on it =P
Old 11-01-2010, 06:49 PM

As a DD for my other car. Just bought it Already knew enough about Nissans. Consult cable comes in handy.

-G
Old 11-21-2010, 08:33 PM

my mother had a brown 3rd gen wagon when i was younger and it was my favorite car as a kid
Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by 97 4thgen
my mother had a brown 3rd gen wagon when i was younger and it was my favorite car as a kid
No such thing. 3rd Gen 89-94 only came in sedan form. You may be talking about 1st or 2nd Gen which ranges from 1981 to 1988.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Lightly modded

Let's see, I was researching what car I would buy when I turned 16 (no, my parents didn't buy it for me) and I had narrowed it down to the SC'ed Mazda Millenia, 1st gen Q45 and 4th gen Maxima. I wisely chose the Maxima, but was unaware of the benefits of a manual transmission, so I ended up with a 95 GLE. After 2-3 years I got tired of the auto and bought my 5 speed I30.

I can't say I ever drove the Millenia or the Q45, but knowing what I now know about them I'm glad I made the choice I did, aside from the trans choice of course. Of course now knowing about the benefits of RWD, I wish I had just bought a 97-98 240sx instead (before their prices skyrocketed after the dorifto phase), but at the time they seemed very slow compared to the Max and I wasn't car savvy enough to know about engine swaps, etc. Oh well!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:34 AM

back in 2000 i was actually looking at a 94 0r 95 acura legend coupe at a dealership and saw they had a black 1999 nissan maxima se for sale.I took it for a test drive and fell in love with it.I was eager to get a car as well since my 92 hyundai elantra kept costing me money to fix
Old 12-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Family grew to big for my 1991 300zx, kids and wife, wanted something sporty and quick. Got a 1999 GLE, quiet, quick and fun to drive. Like the Bose system.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 AM

i was looking for a new car and thats when i found the 6th gen max and i am very happy with the car except my head unit does not work :/ lol
Old 12-05-2010, 08:12 AM

In the 90s, I dated a girl who had a gen3, and it was a lot nicer than my Civic at the time.

In '99, I began to look for a new car and considered the Gen4 and the i30, but thy had been out for a while and were looking a little tired compared to what the other mfgs were offering. I wound up buying the Accord V-Tec V6, because it was a newer model for Accord, had some extra ponys over the Gen4 Max, and it really had some ***** with the VTEC.

I signed up for the nissandriven site, and then I was immersed in the media blitz surrounding the Gen5 Maxima hit. When I found out they added 33 horsepower to the 3 liter (which leapfrogged the Accord's numbers), MAN did I ever have buyer's remorse on that Accord purchase!

I also drove an A2 Jetta for a lot of years, and bought a crappy Camry for a few years, and I recently had the opportunity to get my first Maxima. It's a 2K Maxima with 76k miles. I love it, it's easily the best of the various sedans I have owned.

Last edited by 2ndRick; 12-05-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:50 AM

maxima is better with better performance
Old 12-16-2010, 07:27 AM

it all started with a friend that owned a 5.5 gen. he modded it and it looked really nice. i fell in love. but... i bought a honda for its reliability, gas millage and price. i modded it it looked awsome but was SLOW. then it got stolen. well time to find a new car. then my wife said "i have a friend selling a cadilac catera" i said NO WAY! so i drove the catera home and hated my life. i came to the conclusion "gasp" i know ill wreck it i paid 800 dollers for the craptera. and i wrecked it BWAHAHAHAHA! time to find another new car. it was a choice between a 54k mile GTP and 177k mile max. first place went to the nissan dealership and saw my baby. it was love at first site "the car picked the driver" the sticker was 4200 i paid 3200 and bought an xbox with the insurance money. i actually only truly paid 800 for my max. it rus great and the first week i had it i smoked a GTP.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:22 AM

My 96max was $2k, had three pedals and a stick, and would last me a year with nothing but basic maintenance. Im selling it after christmas to get a Mk2 GTI
Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 AM

I was in my sophmore year of college and was commuting about 40 miles round trip everyday and I needed a reliable car that I could mod and have some fun in. My brother had totaled the pickup truck I was driving. I had always seen myself in an STI so that's what I was shopping for. I went to the nissan/subaru dealer near my house and there it was my 06 SE with 17k miles sitting on black 20" rims. I test drove it and loved it but I had never seen a modded maxima before so I went home and went on youtube to see what a maximas tru potential was and then I came apon a video of CHERNMAXX and the red beast and saw that I could do that to my car so I went back and bought it for 19K and the rest is history lol. Enjoy my tale.

DK
Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 AM

I was in my sophmore year of college and was commuting about 40 miles round trip everyday and I needed a reliable car that I could mod and have some fun in. My brother had totaled the pickup truck I was driving. I had always seen myself in an STI so that's what I was shopping for. I went to the nissan/subaru dealer near my house and there it was my 06 SE with 17k miles sitting on black 20" rims. I test drove it and loved it but I had never seen a modded maxima before so I went home and went on youtube to see what a maximas tru potential was and then I came apon a video of CHERNMAXX and the red beast and saw that I could do that to my car so I went back and bought it for 19K and the rest is history lol. Enjoy my tale.

DK

Quick Reply: What made you get in maxima's?